• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life after Wenger | Ornstein: Arsenal set to appoint Unai Emery

Do you think Emery will get the club back on an upwards trajectory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stannis

Jul 26 - Atletico Madrid
Jul 28 - PSG
Aug 4 - Chelsea

Nice debut fixtures for El Jefe. I expect 3 W.

They will all have had lot of players at the World Cup who would be on extended break

Özil, Granit and maybe lacazette aside I don’t think any of our major players will be at the WC ( unless we get Leno)

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Yeah, have seen that link over the last two days several times and it's not like it's a bad thing but will be interesting to see who he brings as well.

It's said, he wants to pick 3 guys that will work with him..
If Arteta comes I wouldnt be surprised if we bring in a young coaching staff in & a few of those guys a former players in, especially from the 03/04 era. Not just that time but any other former players in anyway.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Are we creating a trend or following? Seems very similar to what Sp**s used to do with Wenger & Mourinho.

You could argue its an awful time to take a risk with the age profiles of our best players combined with soon to be three other clubs in London with 60k stadiums.

Hiring Peps sidekick is not creating a trend.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Look If its him we have to stick by him no matter what. He loves the club, Pep has high words on him, apparently he is very high up at City, he motivates the players heaps. Good knowledge Pep said. I am willing to take the gamble on him. Its a risk because he has never had top managerial position before but all the managers have to get it at some point in their careers. Just looks like we are the ones giving him his first top position.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
BTW can I just say we never heard a word about Arteta as a coach last season when City finished 4th and Pep was a "fraud", but now all of a sudden since City won the league at a canter he's some influential figure at their club.

We heard about Arteta the coach when he was here already. I foresaw him becoming a great coach long time ago.

On top of that you're comparing two completely different situations. We weren't looking for a manager last year, wer're now so obviously there's going to be a lot of emphasis on what he did at City.

Absolutely nobody has said he's some influential figure at their club.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Have no idea why, but feel compelled to have one more go at convincing you :lol:

The experierienced managers like Rafa, Carlo etc would no doubt do OK and stop any slide. Might even get back into the top 4. But we’ve seen a safe pair of hands for 20yrs or more.

We are spending 5th and can’t see Kroenke changing that. It takes a special manager to perform well over your squad cost, even for a couple of years.

Arteta is worth that risk because he might just be that man if all the reports from City are true. The regard he’s held in, is unusual.

He’s been at a number of clubs, likes attacking football, knows the chief executive and Arsenal ground, and at 36 is a good age to be hungry and try new things.

When we appointed Wenger we were innovators. Let’s create trends and not follow the crowd.

We’re already out of the Champions league it’s a good time to take a risk and we’re not much worse off if it doesn’t pan out in a couple of years.

The odds are stacked against us because of Kroenke, only an exceptional manager could win this league with our spend unless you get the luck of Leicester.

Let’s go for it. COYG.

I get the gist of your argument, but why Arteta? Why not Nagelsmann or Jardim or some other young manager with experience and accomplishment behind him? Why not David Wagner, who was once to Klopp what Arteta is to Guardiola, but who has proven himself in areas where Arteta hasn't? Why not Vieira, for that matter? Why a complete novice? Just because he played for Arsenal? Would he even be considered otherwise? Is it because he looks nice? Is it because people project Guardiola's qualities onto Arteta?

I would also argue that getting back into the Champions League quickly is important; more so because Arsenal has an owner who is financially conservative. The attacking talent rivals any in the Premier League. The main attacking players are in their primes. Those prime years will be wasted if Arsenal embarks on a project to let the squad grow with the manager. So doesn't it make more sense to hire the person best-equipped to make the team competitive at the top quickly? That would put the club in better position to spend on players despite the conservative nature of ownership.

I also think it's a risk for Arteta. He might be a great manager someday, but if he fails in this his reputation will be tarnished. I think it would be to his benefit also to gain more experience and possibly manage a smaller club for a few years. It's a huge roll of the dice all the way around. And rolls of the dice come up craps more often than sevens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Young players need freedom of expression to develop as creative players... they should be encouraged to try skills without fear of failure.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom