• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lucas Perez (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
StatDNA is just a tool using advanced stats to allow you to analyse players more closely. And Gazidis doesn't force anything on Wenger, that's just a myth to absolve Wenger of blame for poor signings.
truth, We signed many players that were just not good enough.
We also signed quality players and grow world cup winners in his team, so it goes both ways.

Reactions: A_G

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
According to this Wenger didn't decide to sign Perez, Campbell, Elneny, Gabriel, Xhaka or Welbeck. This is from someone on the Wenger-out side.
there is probably some truth on that aswell, i still think elneny gabriel and Xhaka all looked like players that Wenger would like, i never understood neither welbeck or campbell and i still think there is something interesting about Perez.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
All are Wenger buys but as explained before Xhaka Mustafi And Lucas were all backup for Kante Manolas and Vardy. That were the club disappointed wenger

6gunner

In the later Wenger years we were not investing in our team, rather we trying to build a squad that kept us in the top 4. Injuries were blamed for our perceived struggles so we focused on building depth by buying players like Perez, Welbeck, and Ospina rather than young, talented players with upside. It didn't, and hasn't, worked and is why we have a bloated squad of semi-talented players.

Rouski

He had several windows to fix those key areas but he chose not to. He has made the choice to sacrifice a whole season because he was unable to find another striker and he was ok to have Sanogo as the only one besides Giroud. A striker who couldn't properly hit the ball :lol:.

So if it's true and Gazidis is the one who made the call about mustafi Perez Gabriel then it's wenger's fault too .

Sanogo was seen as a low-risk youth signing. I don't know what season you're referring to, maybe 13/14?, but Sanogo wasn't the second choice to Giroud, he spent most of his time on loan. I don't think it was Wenger's choice not to add a top-level striker, you can see from attempts to buy Higuain and Suarez that the club wanted a top-level forward but it didn't work out and they ended up signing Özil and Sanchez.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Sanogo was seen as a low-risk youth signing. I don't know what season you're referring to, maybe 13/14?, but Sanogo wasn't the second choice to Giroud, he spent most of his time on loan. I don't think it was Wenger's choice not to add a top-level striker, you can see from attempts to buy Higuain and Suarez that the club wanted a top-level forward but it didn't work out and they ended up signing Özil and Sanchez.

13/14 Sanogo was the only striker in the team besides Giroud.
We've started him against Bayern in champions league.
I'm not saying Sanogo was a huge risk. But having him as a number 2 was an unforgivable mistake from a top coach/club.

He was even going to be our number 2 the next season but Giroud got injured against Everton... Sanogo was **** against Leicester and then we've brought Welbeck on deadline day.
But we were ready to go into the season with Sanogo as a number 2 once again.

Trying is not enough. Both of those deals were doable but we've failed because we were too soft and we lacked agression in the transfer market.
Wether it was Wenger's fault or his staff or the board, I don't know .

But higuain was sold for 35M. Today you don't even buy a 15 goals/year striker with that amount. and higuain even if he chokes on the biggest stage is still a 30 goals/year striker.
And Suarez was ready to force his way out to come but we've backed from negotiations so fast even though Liverpool is a selling club. I'm pretty sure if we came with a bigger offer, if we offered that extra 15/20M it would have been a done deal. Liverpool is a selling club. They've sold Torres and Sterling to Chelsea and Liverpool.

It's a shame. With one of those 2 we would have got a genuine chance to compete for the championship.
Instead we've settled for United 3rd or 4th choice at striker and struggles to get 10 goals a season and Perez who has never really got his chance for a combined fee of £35M.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I'm not saying Sanogo was a huge risk. But having him as a number 2 was an unforgivable mistake from a top coach/club.

He was even going to be our number 2 the next season but Giroud got injured against Everton... Sanogo was **** against Leicester and then we've brought Welbeck on deadline day.

Trying is not enough. Both of those deals were doable but we've failed because we were too soft and we lacked agression in the transfer market.

But higuain was sold for 35M. Today you don't even buy a 15 goals/year striker with that amount. and higuain even if he chokes on the biggest stage is still a 30 goals/year striker.
And Suarez was ready to force his way out to come but we've backed from negotiations so fast even though Liverpool is a selling club. I'm pretty sure if we came with a bigger offer, if we offered that extra 15/20M it would have been a done deal. Liverpool is a selling club. They've sold Torres and Sterling to Chelsea and Liverpool.

It's a shame. With one of those 2 we would have got a genuine chance to compete for the championship.
Instead we've settled for United 3rd or 4th choice at striker and struggles to get 10 goals a season and Perez who has never really got his chance for a combined fee of £35M.

I always saw the whole if we had Suarez we would have won the league as an interesting one. The problem is that we lacked more than just a world class striker which would probably mean we would have come close to winning it. However, upon losing it, Suarez would have agitated for Barcelona and unlike Liverpool who have foresight and signed him up with a wage increase and release clause, we probably would have let him run down his contract and go on a free while he continued to bite people.

Rouski

So whether it's Wenger fault or someone else's fault for not signing the players, it's still Wenger's fault. Your argument is all over the place, you seem hell-bent on blaming Wenger for everything even if it was not his fault. You said that Wenger chose not to sign the players but he wanted to sign Higuain and Suarez, it wasn't his decision not to sign the players. Sanogo played one game in the champions league that season. I don't know why he was playing when Giroud and Podolski were on the bench but I'm not going to blame Wenger for everything because of it. It's a very narrow view to look at things that way.

Last edited:

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
So whether it's Wenger fault or someone else's fault for not signing the players, it's still Wenger's fault. Your argument is all over the place, you seem hell-bent on blaming Wenger for everything even if it was not his fault. You said that Wenger chose not to sign the players but he wanted to sign Higuain and Suarez, it wasn't his decision not to sign the players. Sanogo played one game in the champions league that season. I don't know why he was playing when Giroud and Podolski were on the bench but I'm not going to blame Wenger for everything because of it. It's a very narrow view to look at things that way.

His job was to build a competitive team and he has failed.
Podolski has never been a lone striker. Never ever. It was Wenger's choice to start the season with only Sanogo as a backup ST. He had the whole transfer window to fix this issue. Giroud was on the bench because the day before the game some tabloid have published his photo where his was with a prostitute in a hotel room. He wasn't 100% focused to play the game .

So yes if Gazidis forced some signings on him because our former coach has failed to do his job then it's on him too.
For years we had the same issues in the squad, we've needed a CB, a DM and a striker. Wenger in his team have failed to address those issues.

Ive never blamed Wenger for not signing Higuain or Suarez I've blamed the whole club. It was Arsenal's failure. From the coach, to the board, to the negotiating team.

But still our former coach had 3 months to find a solution. A decent striker who could have brought some competition to Giroud and a solid backup but he didn't.
We miserably tried to sign Demba Ba on loan during the last day of the transfer window and Mourinho has blocked the move.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
I always saw the whole if we had Suarez we would have won the league as an interesting one. The problem is that we lacked more than just a world class striker which would probably mean we would have come close to winning it. However, upon losing it, Suarez would have agitated for Barcelona and unlike Liverpool who have foresight and signed him up with a wage increase and release clause, we probably would have let him run down his contract and go on a free while he continued to bite people.

I'm not saying we would have won the league.
I've said we would have got a better chance.

If that summer we got Özil and Suarez and the summer after that we still got Sanchez we would have been the best offensive force in the league. By far.

It doesn't mean we would have won the league 100% sure but we would have increased our odds so much.

If we managed to keep him at least 2 years then sell him at profit to Barcelona and buy another top offensive player with the funds it would have been great.

But we've lacked so much ambition and we'r so soft. It was once a lifetime opportunity. We could have got the best striker in the league since Henry with Özil just behind him feeding him. (Or at least Cazorla / wilshere / Ramsey / rosicky).

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
According to this Wenger didn't decide to sign Perez, Campbell, Elneny, Gabriel, Xhaka or Welbeck. This is from someone on the Wenger-out side.

A manager never actually "signs" players. It's a team effort that involves meetings and discussions with scouting networks, directors, chief executives, and increasingly data analysts etc.

Wenger would have known certain players and tabled his wish list - while these players may not have been at the top of that, I highly doubt that they were players he did not agree to.

Giroud12

Really dont understand why Wenger never rated him (and bouth him in the first place). Did nothing wrong, looked very sharp when he did play, and would have contributed much more than Welbeck or Walcott. Its weird how some players did well under Wenger yet never got a chance, while he kept playing dross despite them never performing.

4 mill is obviously ridicolous, great business by West Ham

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
We selling a guy who easily can score you 15 goals a season for 4M meanwhile ings who only played 15 games going for 24M.

BobP

Memri Fan

ElegantTeemingCanary.gif

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

We selling a guy who easily can score you 15 goals a season for 4M meanwhile ings who only played 15 games going for 24M.

Dunno if he can guarantee you that, he was shocking in La Liga last year. Even if Ings is worse he’s English which helps squad numbers.

Absolute banter transfer by us in hindsight, almost 20 million on a 28 year old poacher who’d had one decent year.

I’m always for signing young English players because there’s always resale value even if they flop. We made over 60M on just Ox and Theo.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

I aint to bothered about the fee, he could be useful but if it means improving the squad then so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I didnt score as many as I hoped, but it was nice that I always scored against Tottenham

Charlie Nicholas
Top Bottom