• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Have to say he's been garbage. I love Mesut but he needs to be dropped. That sulky look he gave when subbed on Saturday made me want to smack him. Very glad we have a manager who is not afraid of the so called 'big players'

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

What I find interesting is the lack of acceptance from Özil fan boys that he has an issue.

Mourinho has spoke of his lack of defensive work, Wenger has said his confidence has been shot and with it his form, Lowe benched him during the world cup. Arsenal and German fans have in recent years been critical of him as have both the English and German media.

There is no doubt that Özil brings something unique to the table that he has moments of world class in him but more often than not it doesn't happen. First it was lack of pace then we got pace and he didn't majorly improve. As far as last week it was because he was wide right and needed to play centrally and I'd go as far to say he played worse! To the point he was hooked off.

We want or I certainly want Özil to improve. But he has to show signs of adopting his game. And for years now he hasn't. To those who still thinks he has done nothing wrong surely you must recognise there is no smoke without fire? Weve had classy creative players in the past and none from what I can remember have faced the same level and type of criticism as Özil. Arshavin possibly? Oddly enough similar start to his Arsenal career which fiddled out and he became a bit of a Russian journey man after leaving here.

Last edited:

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
What I find interesting is the lack of acceptance from Özil fan boys that he has an issue.

Mourinho has spoke of his lack of defensive work, Wenger has said his confidence has been shot and with it his form, Lowe benched him during the world cup. Arsenal and German fans have in recent years been critical of him as have both the English and German media.

There is no doubt that Özil brings something unique to the table that he has moments of world class in him but more often than not it doesn't happen. First it was lack of pace then we got pace and he didn't majorly improve. As far as lack week it was because he was wide right and needed to play centrally and I'd go as far to say he played worse! To the point he was hooked off.

We want or I certainly want Özil to improve. But he has to show signs of adopting his game. And for years now he hasn't. To those who still thinks he has done nothing wrong surely you must recognise there is no smoke without fire? Weve had classy creative players in the past and none from what I can remember have faced the same level and type of criticism as Özil. Arshavin possibly? Oddly enough similar start to his Arsenal career which fiddled out and he became a bit of a Russian journey man after leaving here.
Top post. Also worth noting that Arshavin had half the chances..
I personally love Mesut but there's no point defending the indefensible

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
If Wenger's 'sacking' came as the shock Jack claimed it was, it could be Özil wishes he hadn't signed that contract, and feels cheated in some way - with the unfortunate business of Germany's WC campaign on top

he seems to be a bit of a moody bugger, whose emotional state affects his form on the pitch - I expect him to play better once the whole team puts in some good and winning performances

James Bond

Moderation Consultant

He did though....last season when he was playing for his big contract.

He was great for a large spell and had all the fans singing his name, the media/pundits/A-Mers like myself that have wanted more throughout his Arsenal career rightfully gave him kudos for his performances and most importantly he was doing this all without needing Opta breakdowns to judge his game/influence. Everyone could see he balling and leaving a mark on each match. We didn't need to be told that "if you don't see what he brings you don't know football" like the twitter/A-M bots loved to say.

He then signed his big contract on huge wages and just stopped giving a **** again Theo Walcott/contract year player style and here we are.

At 29 that was his last big payday and he got himself a max contract. Couple his cushy contract with him no longer wanting to play for Germany and I don't see how we see that hungry Özil again unless Emery is some sort of magician as clearly Özil has to be really motivated to seriously perform for us/this club.

shootxhakashoot

Özil lives rent-free in my head
He did though....last season when he was playing for his big contract.

He was great for a large spell and had all the fans singing his name, the media/pundits/A-Mers like myself that have wanted more throughout his Arsenal career rightfully gave him kudos for his performances and most importantly he was doing this all without needing Opta breakdowns to judge his game/influence. Everyone could see he balling and leaving a mark on each match. We didn't need to be told that "if you don't see what he brings you don't know football" like the twitter/A-M bots loved to say.
My memory of that small spell last season is swallowed up by the rest of the season where he very obviously didn't gives a rats arse about playing for Arsenal, which has continued into this.
So what you are saying is he only started playing when his money was under threat (either because he wanted a new contract from us or a contract from another club I might add), there's a word for that, mercenary. Shouldnt be any room for that at Arsenal.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
If Wenger's 'sacking' came as the shock Jack claimed it was, it could be Özil wishes he hadn't signed that contract, and feels cheated in some way - with the unfortunate business of Germany's WC campaign on top

he seems to be a bit of a moody bugger, whose emotional state affects his form on the pitch - I expect him to play better once the whole team puts in some good and winning performances

Why did he put in the two performances he did when the end of Wenger's legacy was on the line vs Atletico? Go back to the match threads or immediately afterwards in here if you need reminding that he was absolutely ghost when we and Wenger needed him most.

For context think back to his posts aimed at those criticizing the club/he call out for not getting behind the team last season and/or his words (days) after news of Wenger leaving/ being sacked at the end of the season and compare it to the performances he put it when we were in freefall afterward or when the EL provided a chance to save the season, set up future success by being back in the CL, and send his beloved Wenger out on a high. The man doesn't give a ****.

He's simply a con man/contract year player who took the club and so so many supporters for a ride.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Why did he put in the two performances he did when the end of Wenger's legacy was on the line vs Atletico? Go back to the match threads or immediately afterwards in here if you need reminding that he was absolutely ghost when we and Wenger needed him most.

For context think back to his posts aimed at those criticizing the club/he call out for not getting behind the team last season and/or his words (days) after news of Wenger leaving/ being sacked at the end of the season and compare it to the performances he put it when we were in freefall afterward or when the EL provided a chance to save the season, set up future success by being back in the CL, and send his beloved Wenger out on a high. The man doesn't give a ****.

He's simply a con man/contract year player who took the club and so so many supporters for a ride.
I understand this type of comment but I don't think a player actually wants to play badly.

Is this guy dealing with something outside of football. I mean he's been particularly poor lately. In previous seasons I felt he reminded us in flashes of his capability but now I just see nothing. No desire, no flare, just absolutely nothing worthwhile. What is going on?

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
He plays the racism card? How do you people get away with saying nonsense like this?

Criticize Özil on his merits as a footballer, for heaven's sake. All of you bringing this stuff up and then saying that he sucks at football, are really saying he sucks because of other stuff. You wouldn't have to bring up his personal life when speaking about his merits as a footballer, if it didn't corrupt your view of him.

Özil is an extraordinary footballer who was injured a lot last year. Let him play more than two games to see how he adopts to this new system -- why can't you just leave it at that?
I’m sure you can guess what type of person would use a phrase like “race card” lol

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I’m sure you can guess what type of person would use a phrase like “race card” lol
I would imagine this differs massively around the world. It certainly is a problem here in SA but in the context you're talking about I hear your sentiment and agree. Although, context has everything to do with the use of this term, i'm afraid.

Sammy1887

New Year, Same Hate For Reed

Is there any world where Özil is not a victim? Poor Özil only earning 350k p/w. Sad sad times.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
I would imagine this differs massively around the world. It certainly is a problem here in SA but in the context you're talking about I hear your sentiment and agree. Although, context has everything to do with the use of this term, i'm afraid.
In what context would it have a different meaning?

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
In what context would it have a different meaning?
Here in South Africa we have what is known as ineptocracy - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Your post insinuates that only racists use that term but here it is a very different situation which unfortauntely always revolves around 'race cards' being pulled.. Even black people call out other black people for producing the 'race card' here because it is so frequently done.. Half the country has this 'want it all for nothing' attitude and if you tell them they will need to work for it (Because we're a capitalist society etc) suddenly you're a racist. Something that as a white South African I am subjected to on a virtually daily basis.
Context...

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Playing with a back injury wasn't he ?

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Here in South Africa we have what is known as ineptocracy - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Your post insinuates that only racists use that term but here it is a very different situation which unfortauntely always revolves around 'race cards' being pulled.. Even black people call out other black people for producing the 'race card' here because it is so frequently done.. Half the country has this 'want it all for nothing' attitude and if you tell them they will need to work for it (Because we're a capitalist society etc) suddenly you're a racist. Something that as a white South African I am subjected to on a virtually daily basis.
Context...
Interesting. I don’t know enough about SA to comment but it can only be interpreted in one way here in Europe as far as I know.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Interesting. I don’t know enough about SA to comment but it can only be interpreted in one way here in Europe as far as I know.
One thing, as South Africans, we are extremely shocked by when traveling is how the rest of the world sees, deals with and interprets racism. It is so vastly different here. Something that has to be experienced to realise and something I pray none of you ever have to deal with. A truly horrible and debilitating evil..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I don’t look at the passport of people; I look at their quality and their attitude.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom