• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

blaze_of_glory

Never been a fan of 'everyone can get subbed' mentality, quality matters and you want your best players on the pitch.
I don't think anyone should be immune from being subbed, but I definitely think he should be on the field in nearly all circumstances. We just have so much more about us with him on even if he's not having a great game. Generally retain the ball better, better breakouts, etc. No to mention he can make a killer play and take the game at any time.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
It’s normal to not be happy, not happy because the result wasn’t good,” he said. “I like players who show character when we are not playing well.
Emery explained: “The last match away in the Premier League, against Fulham, we played like that with a very good result and good transition. We had lost a little the possession with the ball and it was more a game for the transition.

“With Laca and Danny I wanted to find one good transition between two players and score more goals. In the free-kick defensively [Palace were pushing]… Danny Welbeck is very good for this situation.”

Emery on subbing Özil
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...-palace-end-gunners-winning-run-a3973931.html

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Actually, today was one of the 1st times I really saw him getting into tackles, 1v1's - he was hustling out there. Would be interested in seeing his passing stats. I'm not sure if he missed a pass all day or even gave away possession (there was one where he tried to release Iwobi on a break). Could be wrong obviously but if anyone knows fire them at me.

One thing for sure imo was once he left the field there wasn't much glue to knit our attacking threat together.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
Not based on this performance alone. But i don't feel he's worth the money he's getting. However replacing him with equal quality will be more expensive. So i guess we are stuck with him so far. Hopefully he show his value more over the season.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
He wasn’t putting the opposition under any sort of pressure when he was on the pitch. We needed to gain more control in the middle and his inability to play anywhere other than in the hole renders him a luxury for high intensity physical games.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Not based on this performance alone. But i don't feel he's worth the money he's getting. However replacing him with equal quality will be more expensive. So i guess we are stuck with him so far. Hopefully he show his value more over the season.

Özil is one of the top 5 players in the world who does what he does. The goal shouldn’t be to replace him with equal quality but to augment the team in more needful positions.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
Özil is one of the top 5 players in the world who does what he does. The goal shouldn’t be to replace him with equal quality but to augment the team in more needful positions.
See, he's only top 5 players when he actually does what he's supposedly to better than everyone else. which is not nearly enough. Compare him to fabregas who was a top 5 player in his position. He did it day in and day out with a few games of every year while Özil is unreal a few games a year and average most games. with a few awful games.

Consistency is what makes a player top 5 IMO. All players have great games.

I mean, if I said we could get a nr 10 that averages 5 goals and 10 assists a season in the PL for 350k p/w would you get him?

nick gould

Stinking attitude when he was subbed, more so because he had the captain’s armband. The guy thinks he is too big to do menial jobs like marking or simply closing the passing angles. Loan him out to Liverpool and see if he gets playing time in with this kind of attitude.

RandomHero84

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saka
Stinking attitude when he was subbed, more so because he had the captain’s armband. The guy thinks he is too big to do menial jobs like marking or simply closing the passing angles. Loan him out to Liverpool and see if he gets playing time in with this kind of attitude.

What a load of nonsense.

DasBootist

See, he's only top 5 players when he actually does what he's supposedly to better than everyone else. which is not nearly enough. Compare him to fabregas who was a top 5 player in his position. He did it day in and day out with a few games of every year while Özil is unreal a few games a year and average most games. with a few awful games.

I mean, if I said we could get a nr 10 that averages 5 goals and 10 assists a season in the PL for 350k p/w would you get him?
51 assists from 150 games is a good return. Add the 30 goals he's scored and factor in that the majority of his games were under Wenger's management.

What more do you want?

redanddread

He did a good job of tackling his menial tasks today imo.

redanddread

I'd have hooked that headless chicken Iwobi instead of Özil but I guess the gaffer anted graft not craft out there & I could appreciate that.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I agree with your overall sentiment, but Fabregas? He suffered just like Özil. The guy peaked at 24 and is notorious for post Christmas dips in form. Top 5? Pirlo, Xavi, Iniesta, Scholes, Modric were all present and firing during his career. Fabregas was insanely good for his age at 17-22, but so was Özil. Grass is always greener.

Özil's problem is he can't play in these 100mph games. He needs space to affect them game via the counter attack. He's not someone who presses with intensity or purpose so he's next to useless in these scrappy games.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Welbz was brought on for his athleticism, pace and powerful direct running. Özil was having a poor game. Personally I'd have also brought on Mkhitaryan for either Laca/Auba at that stage to give it a bit more balance, but I believe that was the thinking behind the substitution. Özil just wasn't getting into the game at all. The match as a whole was a real physical battle, one that Unai thought Welbz would thrive in.

Wryer

His reaction was very poor. Especially given that he was the captain for the day.

Unai had to try to change and make things work, why can't he understand? He is a 30 year old seasoned veteran for goodness sake.

redanddread

His reaction was very poor. Especially given that he was the captain for the day.

Unai had to try to change and make things work, why can't he understand? He is a 30 year old seasoned veteran for goodness sake.
Many stars are like that. Alexis & Ronaldo are 2 that come to my mind.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Welbz was brought on for his athleticism, pace and powerful direct running. Özil was having a poor game. Personally I'd have also brought on Mkhitaryan for either Laca/Auba at that stage to give it a bit more balance, but I believe that was the thinking behind the substitution. Özil just wasn't getting into the game at all. The match as a whole was a real physical battle, one that Unai thought Welbz would thrive in.

Totally agree with bringing Welbz on . What I am wondering though , why wasn't Welbz there at the start for that very reason? . Not like Auba can hang on to the ball either on the wing an it's not like Welbz isn't in good goal scoring form . Welbz , Özil and Iwobi were a good mix of skill and physicality for this match .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

A player's true character is in how he plays and not in his social life. You can hide your real personality in your social life, You cannot on the field.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, May 18

Arsenal‘s interest in Ivan Toney has waned. It is unlikely he will join this summer and neither will Alexander Isak, with the club no longer interested at his £120m price [John Cross - The Mirror]

Benjamin Šeško will cost €65m this summer [Sky Sports Germany]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom