• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ptrcopp

No other supporters would criticise their best, or second best, player for showing frustration at being subbed off. Especially in a game when he didn’t play as well as he should have.
Özil has contributed, on average, over a goal every other game in pl (30 gls, 51 assists in 149 mtch) in a side that has had a high turn over of first team players, whose success in the competition is limited to finish 2nd behind Leicester, and only in one season has a player scored more than 20 goals in a season.
The main criticism of Özil since the match is that he doesn’t show enough emotion on the pitch. I must be watching a different player. He screams at team mates for not doing enough, and shows clear signs of frustration when an attacking move breaks down. He is also carded very often for silly challenges when annoyed.
Another is that he isn’t combative enough. But as many others have pointed out this isn’t what his job is. It would be like criticising Torreira for only being involved in one goal in his 10 games. Yet Özil has contributed 4 goals in his 8 games
But his defensive stats per game are not far off others who play in his position. And are in fact far better than Hazard who has a similar standing within that team (eg 140 tackles in 149 matches vs 126 in 217 games). And it’s still amazes me people bring out the same bullshit about him being lazy when we know he has constantly been among the highest distance covered in the team.

I know stats don’t show everything. And it’s true he didn’t play well yesterday; he struggled to find space, to deliver anything like a key pass, and was playing far too deep. But to say that it’s because he is always lazy, or incompatible, or rarely plays well, is just false.

Wryer

I totally get the frustration. But being captain of the day, and supposedly the 5 leaders appointed, surely you have to above that.

You just have to accept it was not your day and the manager is trying to salvage the game. The manager needed to do something so that we win the game.

He could smash the bench to vent his frustration. He could yell at those remaining on the pitch to man up. But he chose to ignore the manager and not shake his hand. I just don't think that is acceptable from a leader.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
I totally get the frustration. But being captain of the day, and supposedly the 5 leaders appointed, surely you have to above that.

You just have to accept it was not your day and the manager is trying to salvage the game. The manager needed to do something so that we win the game.

He could smash the bench to vent his frustration. He could yell at those remaining on the pitch to man up. But he chose to ignore the manager and not shake his hand. I just don't think that is acceptable from a leader.
I don't care if Emery doesn't care - but the heat of the moment is one thing, and what is said between them afterwards is what really matters, and that we rarely hear about

pikey2000

That's just weird. Ramsey would just take Özil's place and play his own game with much less effect, and he doesn't make our midfield more compact. Seeing Ramsey this season I've ditched the story that Ramsey would offer something different against the big boys as he is concentrating just on goals and glory. With Torreira in the team, I'm not concerned anymore with playing Özil against top teams as he can do his stuff and Torreira will take care of the rest.
We always talked here about how Özil needs good strikers around him, but it turns out that Torreira is the guy who makes difference to his game as Özil feels more secure now and he can take more risks with his fancy moves, something that he is brilliant at.

Fair point, you could replace Ramsey with AMN/Geundouzi or whomever as long as its a 3 man mid that has substance over style to start these matches then i'd be happy.

I'll be ecstatic if i'm proved wrong and we field Özil against the big boys and deal with them defensively and offensively!

I just don't see the balance being right even against the lesser teams at the moment.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
No other supporters would criticise their best, or second best, player for showing frustration at being subbed off. Especially in a game when he didn’t play as well as he should have.
Özil has contributed, on average, over a goal every other game in pl (30 gls, 51 assists in 149 mtch) in a side that has had a high turn over of first team players, whose success in the competition is limited to finish 2nd behind Leicester, and only in one season has a player scored more than 20 goals in a season.
The main criticism of Özil since the match is that he doesn’t show enough emotion on the pitch. I must be watching a different player. He screams at team mates for not doing enough, and shows clear signs of frustration when an attacking move breaks down. He is also carded very often for silly challenges when annoyed.
Another is that he isn’t combative enough. But as many others have pointed out this isn’t what his job is. It would be like criticising Torreira for only being involved in one goal in his 10 games. Yet Özil has contributed 4 goals in his 8 games
But his defensive stats per game are not far off others who play in his position. And are in fact far better than Hazard who has a similar standing within that team (eg 140 tackles in 149 matches vs 126 in 217 games). And it’s still amazes me people bring out the same bullshit about him being lazy when we know he has constantly been among the highest distance covered in the team.

I know stats don’t show everything. And it’s true he didn’t play well yesterday; he struggled to find space, to deliver anything like a key pass, and was playing far too deep. But to say that it’s because he is always lazy, or incompatible, or rarely plays well, is just false.

Mate as an Arsenal fan, are you happy overall with Ozils footballing contribution so far this season? Personally I want more out of him - am I expecting too much?

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Fair point, you could replace Ramsey with AMN/Geundouzi or whomever as long as its a 3 man mid that has substance over style to start these matches then i'd be happy.

I'll be ecstatic if i'm proved wrong and we field Özil against the big boys and deal with them defensively and offensively!

I just don't see the balance being right even against the lesser teams at the moment.
I think our best defense is when we are on the ball and have control over the game, and that's where Özil can help us. We just can't defend against anyone with this defense.
That's why it's important that our attack clicks from the first minute, but yesterday Iwobi was absolutely dire and Laca was also off, making our attack less fluent and inviting Leicester to put pressure on our back line.
Guenduzi and Torreira both did well yesterday, but when people in front of them and behind them look like they are playing for the first time, it's not enough even against mid table teams.
I'm more concerned with Xhaka than Özil against Liverpool, and if Iwobi repeats his game from yesterday against Liverpool, we have absolutely no chance.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Leicester played very smart and isolated Iwobi from Özil. With Laca having a bad game, we were nullified to a few chances.

I can understand why Emery took Özil off, since there was no Bellerin/Iwobi/Lacazette to combine with, Özil was useless.

ptrcopp

Mate as an Arsenal fan, are you happy overall with Ozils footballing contribution so far this season? Personally I want more out of him - am I expecting too much?

Of course I want more from him. TBh I think Auba is the only one who has the output I am happy with.
But there are several other player in the first 11 that I would be more concerned with over the last three or four games than home.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Superb superb game against Leicester but he was back to his usual stuff against Palace. I'm not too bothered about the handshake but the performance was average again.

Also, this idea that we're better and have more possession because of Özil has no basis. We struggle regardless and the teams he played for previously shifted him out wide or hooked him off most of the time to gain greater control of the game.

One thing is though, Emery is getting something out of him on an emotional level. You can see it in moments in his game too and not just that reaction. Özil needs to recognize this as an opportunity and take it in, channel it properly.

Last edited:

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Need a big performance from Özil tomorrow. If he wants to be considered an Arsenal Great he has to do it regularly and he has to do it in big games like this. No one expects a Leicester performance every game but it needs to be way better than Palace every game!

Gunner140

Özil's going to have a tough time against Liverpool, as their defenes is very organized and he is definitely going to be man marked through out the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

If he sent an apology it must have been by horse

Arsène Wenger on apology from Ferguson
Top Bottom