• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What makes an Arsenal player a club legend?

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
By who? All Arsenal fans know they were great together.

I'd say it's underrated by the wider commentariat. Ask most people what the best central defensive partnership has been in PL history and they'd invariably say Adams-Keown, Ferdinand-Vidic or Terry-Carvalho. I'm not saying Toure-Campbell is better than those, but it's in the mix.

I'd also say it's a bit underrated by Arsenal fans actually, who I think for the most part would point to the partnerships of the 90's. Arsenal fans obviously don't underrate the Invincibles, far from it. But I think they underrate that particular component of the Invincibles.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
I'd say it's underrated by the wider commentariat. Ask most people what the best central defensive partnership has been in PL history and they'd invariably say Adams-Keown, Ferdinand-Vidic or Terry-Carvalho. I'm not saying Toure-Campbell is better than those, but it's in the mix.

I'd also say it's a bit underrated by Arsenal fans actually, who I think for the most part would point to the partnerships of the 90's. Arsenal fans obviously don't underrate the Invincibles, far from it. But I think they underrate that particular component of the Invincibles.
Given that they were a big part of our unbeaten run, it's tough to say that they're underrated.
It might be that they're not discussed as much as the other partnerships you mentioned because people were annoyed with Arsenal after 2005 and their lack of trophies, while Manure and Chelski were winning them on a regular basis.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
The Ramsey discussion makes me think this question has yet to be answered...

MustOezil

It's pretty simple for me.

A club legend is a player who is with the club for a lengthy period and puts in 100% week in week out, and if he is surrounded with like-minded players, his time will coincide with trophies and laurels.

My model legend will always be Pat Rice. 13 years as a player and captain, and another 28 years devoted as a coach who has seen the most successful era of our club. Retired through declined health.

No one else comes close

say yes

forum master baiter
No one will ever agree on a definition but for me it’s got to be a very select group to avoid being meaningless. Would probably divide it into tiers:

Legends: Obvious examples would include Henry, Bergkamp, Vieira, Wenger, Adams.

Icons: Another select group who aren’t quite legends but are still extremely high up the hierarchy. Thinking of people like Wright, Rocastle, Pires, Ljungberg, Brady, Seaman etc.

Cult heroes: Players who have some special achievements with the club but are not universally revered / weren’t as great at football. Thinking of people like Parlour, Lauren, Lehmann, Toure, Ramsey.

If you wanted a fourth tier you could have a group of brilliant players who (for whatever reason) don’t have a special place in the hearts of fans. The likes of Ashley Cole, Anelka, Sanchez, Van Persie, Fabregas.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Giroud is definitely in the cult hero tier too, the fans were singing his name even as he took the pitch for Chelsea last month. :lol: 2 FA Cup winning assists as well.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
https://thesefootballtimes.co/2018/...bedrock-that-propped-up-arsenals-invincibles/

Fantastic article here on the Toure - Campbell partnership. It's remarkably underrated. This was a partnership at the heart of a title-winning, Invincible defence that conceded just 26 goals in 38 league games...and it cost the grand total of £150,000. If that were to happen these days there'd be no end of plaudits.

Wenger's achievements are so criminally glossed over and forgotten. There are so many jewels in his Arsenal crown that many are simply taken for granted, when in fact they are individually magnificent things.

I'm also reminded of just how quick they both were and how well that suited what Wenger wanted to do. I look at our current centre-backs and the lack of speed really stands out. Koscielny had it, but he's ageing and who knows how he'll recover from that injury. Neither Sokratis nor Mustafi have that blistering speed, Holding doesn't either. Mavropanos is pretty quick I suppose.

We're playing a system which requires quick defenders, which we don't really have. It's quite an absurd problem and one which makes me miss the old days even more.
I won't have it. The perceived wisdom amongst a number of members here is that Wenger was a tactical cretin. This cannot be true. It must be false news.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Ramsey is NOT a club legend. Loyal servant? YES. Key player in some of our up wins? YES. A fundamental or pivotal player in the clubs history? HELL NO. Only player close to legend status in the last 10 years is Cesc and I'm not sure he can be called a legend.

Thierry, Bergkamp, Wright and Vieira will stil be spoken about in 50 years time. Legends.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Given that they were a big part of our unbeaten run, it's tough to say that they're underrated.
It might be that they're not discussed as much as the other partnerships you mentioned because people were annoyed with Arsenal after 2005 and their lack of trophies, while Manure and Chelski were winning them on a regular basis.

Keown/Adams were so long ago it doesnt even compare imo

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Ramsey is NOT a club legend. Loyal servant? YES. Key player in some of our up wins? YES. A fundamental or pivotal player in the clubs history? HELL NO. Only player close to legend status in the last 10 years is Cesc and I'm not sure he can be called a legend.

Thierry, Bergkamp, Wright and Vieira will stil be spoken about in 50 years time. Legends.
Those four were legends. Strong case for Pires and Ljungberg. Maybe Campbell, maybe Winterburn. Adams, Keown, Seaman all legends.

Fabregas turncoat toad. Less of a legend than Ramsey who as you say is a loyal servant but not quite legendary.

say yes

forum master baiter
I’ve never liked the phrase ‘loyal servant’. What does it really mean other than ‘has been a paid employee of the club for a long time’?

He’s had injury troubles but it’s not like Ramsey has been batting away other clubs. On the contrary the rumours are that he’s been keen to leave for some time. Does running your contact down (and pocketing all of the transfer fee for yourself) really make you more loyal than someone who left on a transfer?

Arsenal Quotes

It was a unique moment, a football fairytale. Was there anyone left who still believed I could give that kind of performance? Probably only Arsène Wenger.

Per Mertesacker on Arsenal’s FA Cup Final win over Chelsea on 2017 being his only appearance that season

Latest posts

Top Bottom