• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
That 20 game unbeaten run was poor and everyone knew we were riding our luck there. The football was not there and we got super lucky.

It caught up to us in the end and we bottled a very easy run in to get 3rd.

The fact that we give so much on individual errors is also partly down to the way he sets us up. Luiz conceeded three penalties in his Chelsea career IIRC, he's already at two here. The systems is contributing to that.

Emery's negatives get propped up a lot because his positives have been mediocre and not consistent enough to paper over the cracks of his negatives.

We need to move on at the end of the season if things don't improve dramatically.

Your final sentence is the reason I don't like people complaining 5 games into a new season. I completely agree with this sentence.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
the big fear has been that if we miss out again on top four some of our best players will want to move on - and the earlier rumours of new contracts for Auba and Laca seem to have gone quiet

but it does look as if some of our youngsters are nearly ready to step up so perhaps we can afford one more year of consolidation, so as long as Emery goes on developing the youngsters I can cope with him seeing out this season

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
We don’t even have to play now for him to get criticised. Any goodwill from the Frankfurt has already been erased by City destroying Watford. :lol:

The f*ck? You of all people? :rofl:

Why are you acting like this is some new phenomenon on these boards?

You, Trilly, were constantly criticizing our former manager whenever you saw the latest hipster formation/tactics/manager in the football CL/PL matchday threads. You were an expert at this, so it's hilarious coming from you.

After that abomination of a performance at Warford, Emery's obviously going to get it, rightfully so, especially when City spanked those like nothing. A rubbish win, where we again let 20+ shots against us, at Frankfurt in that ****hole of tournament isn't going to change much.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
What? Literally no one really thought Emery was the right direction.

We’ve given him over a year to put something together and it’s clearly not working. At this point, sticking by Emery just comes across as weird, basically putting him above the club itself.

Maybe he’ll turn it all around but right now he deserves everything he’s getting now.
What was the right direction then? Arteta? He was the one being championed on here.

Somehow A-M laughs and laughs (rightfully) at Untied and Chelsea’s hires (yet at least they were managers prior to getting their jobs), but since Arteta played for us and was Spanish it’s different as their rose tinted glasses allows for romanticized him being our Pep. O actual managerial experience and he was wanted to step in after moving on from a do it all manger after 22 years...thank **** the club didn’t give the people who they wanted! (Also go back to pretty much any early WengerOut thread to see the comincal flavor of the month A-M consensus suggestions like Owen Coyle and whatnot.)

Thankfully the “direction” the club went with was a very experienced manager who could come in, work within a budget and under a newly implemented modern football structure, and help us get back to the top 4/CL and hopefully win the EL along the way allowing us to continue building with or without him from there. Last season we were painfully close to both, we frustratingly didn’t make it, but the club went and backed him with players to achieve those targets this season, so back him as well and calm down until May and assess things then aswell.

The club can easily move him on at the end of the season if the bottom actually falls out given how they structured his contract, yet with a win today are 3rd (2 points off City) so the sky isn’t falling like some are trying to make it out.

Last edited:

Ashybashy86

Are you just undervaluing the overall strength of the league these days or undervaluing the strength of Man City’s billion pound squad relative to ours/the rest of the league or is it a combo of both?

Huge PL TV money means clubs at the bottom are no longer the cannon fodder they used to be a years ago, so we aren’t walking league games week in week out outside the top 4/6 anymore (ie “making teams look better than they are”), and expecting us to (at this stage in our rebuild) is silly. This is a process, we’re five games in, we don’t have the squad quality of those the the very top (yet) so calm down and have some patience/perspective. I’m too unhappy with the recent results and again if we fail to get any better by the end of the season and/or fail to reach top 4 given Chelsea and United’s problems then get your knives out, but it just seems like a lot of people on here sick of Emery are either being unrealistic of where we are within the rebuild, excited only by turmoil and the drama it brings, or are just straight up living in the past.
I'm doing neither. Watford are usually a tough team to play against, and we've struggled against them in the past. However, they aren't as good as we made them look. They hadn't looked that good until they played us, and I doubt they'll look that good against other teams.

I do hope we play better against Villa today.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Your final sentence is the reason I don't like people complaining 5 games into a new season. I completely agree with this sentence.

The fact that I don't him to manage us doesn't mean that I want us to sack him now. It was with the same with Wenger before his last extension.

All the club had to do is not renew, same here.

He's just not the one for us.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

The f*ck? You of all people? :rofl:

Why are you acting like this is some new phenomenon on these boards?

You, Trilly, were constantly criticizing our former manager whenever you saw the latest hipster formation/tactics/manager in the football CL/PL matchday threads. You were an expert at this, so it's hilarious coming from you.

After that abomination of a performance at Warford, Emery's obviously going to get it, rightfully so, especially when City spanked those like nothing. A rubbish win, where we again let 20+ shots against us, at Frankfurt in that ****hole of tournament isn't going to change much.
Read my post again, do I offer a take on it? I just found it funny.

Tired of people looking to score “hurrr durr you hypocrite lmao” points at any and every opportunity. I am not the guy you’ll find posting inconsistently just to push an agenda, there’s plenty on here if that’s what you’re looking for. Leave it out mate.

Just a few days ago I was criticising our playing out from the back while watching Shaktar vs Man City. I would have to be some special kind of idiot to try criticise other people who do the same thing.

Last edited:

Yeah PL is though. I think everyone know that. But Watford were in their worst form and they had no right to get 31 shots at us. The problem doesn't even start with the Watford game. We have faced more shots than Derby in their famous **** season did in their first 5. We haven't look convincing at all in the beginning of the season, but not only that. We haven't look convincing for very long time. We are not only talking 5 PL games, more like 10-15. But even then we barely look interesting to watch for whole last season. Even our unbeaten run was something you would offer someone you want to see throw up.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Emery has the same points in his league games that Wenger had in his worst ever season. 78 after 43 I think.

GDeep™

League is very weak
the big fear has been that if we miss out again on top four some of our best players will want to move on - and the earlier rumours of new contracts for Auba and Laca seem to have gone quiet

Not sure Auba will extend under Emery. Lacazette I don’t care about, but he’ll extend, no top club is signing him.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Why is @tap-in keep talking about 5 games and ignoring the disgrace of the latter half of last season?

No one would complain if it was just 5 ****ing games.

We slowly but surely started on downtrend in the 2nd part of the season . Our play just got more and more disjointed , we started struggling in possession , we relied mostly on flashes of brilliance . You could see the player knew too . Many times Arsenal have needed a goal in the last 10 to win or draw........ it would be full steam ahead and we'd pepper the goal . Not late last season , half the time they'd actually give up and we couldn't even keep the pressure up . This season seems a continuation of that, we aren't even playing the same system he implemented in pre season .

Last edited:

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Tired of people looking to score “hurrr durr you hypocrite lmao” points at any and every opportunity. I am not the guy you’ll find posting inconsistently just to push an agenda, there’s plenty on here if that’s what you’re looking for. Leave it out mate.

Just a few days ago I was criticising our playing out from the back while watching Shaktar vs Man City. I would have to be some special kind of idiot to try criticise other people who do the same thing.
Bar a few posters, AM had almost 12 months of no “hurr durr you hypocrite, lmao, you know nothing about football” type of posting.

Serene, like going to your local yoga class and relaxing to Indian flute music.

Furious

Fair play, but it did sound like you think it's harsh to criticize him when we're not even playing. Maybe that Bond bloke quoting your post convinced me.

Watford game was a disgrace. Difficult to find positives after that. Luckily we have easy games coming up, especially many home games over the next month, so hopefully we see something that resembles consistently good football in all aspects of game going forward.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Fair play, but it did sound like you think it's harsh to criticize him when we're not even playing. Maybe that Bond bloke quoting your post convinced me.

Watford game was a disgrace. Difficult to find positives after that. Luckily we have easy games coming up, especially many home games over the next month, so hopefully we see something that resembles consistently good football in all aspects of game going forward.
Yeah I can see how it could be taken that way tbh, like in most A-M debates I think both sides have fair points, what causes so much friction on here are the people at extreme ends of the spectrum.

I didn’t watch the second half of Watford (which has turned out to be a blessing) but it seems like it really pissed people off.

I stopped caring for Emery when we bottled that easy CL run but I mostly blamed individual errors. Fast forward a few months and I’m now irritated that we’re still terrible at playing from the back and pressing after more than a year in charge, that’s indefensible.

I’m not Emery out midway through the season but unless something changes we need a new manager next summer.

Last edited:

Furious

Yeah I can see how it could be taken that way tbh, like in most A-M debates I think both sides have faint points, what causes so much friction on here are the people at extreme ends of the spectrum.

I didn’t watch the second half of Watford (which has turned out to be a blessing) but it seems like it really pissed people off.

I stopped caring for Emery when we bottled that easy CL run but I mostly blamed individual errors. Fast forward a few months and I’m now irritated that we’re still terrible at playing from the back and pressing after more than a year in charge, that’s indefensible.

I’m not Emery out midway through the season but unless something changes we need a new manager next summer.

I'm pretty much on the same boat. I think he has shown enough during his time here that we should be able to make top 4 this season. But for an extension we'd have to improve massively, otherwise I'd just let him go despite making top 4. Likewise if this freakshow of getting outshot considerably by rubbish oppositions consistently continues then I'd look to get rid during the season.

If we can get the manager we really want for next 3-4 years right now or around x-mas we should go for it. Will hopefully quicken the transformation.

Can't be having to spend entire next year in "oh, he is implementing his ideas it takes time" state. Had enough of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

My job is to give people who work hard all week something to enjoy on Saturdays and Wednesdays

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, May 18

Arsenal‘s interest in Ivan Toney has waned. It is unlikely he will join this summer and neither will Alexander Isak, with the club no longer interested at his £120m price [John Cross - The Mirror]

Benjamin Šeško will cost €65m this summer [Sky Sports Germany]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom