• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life After Emery Begins

Would you be satisfied with hiring Mikel Arteta?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

scytheavatar

Established Member
I'm starting to realise that we desperately need a man manager with a personality. I feel like these players feel detatched from coaching staff right now.

If we bring in a tactical coach who doesnt talk and focus on each invidual player's deficiencies we are going to get nowhere. For example, Guendouzi for ages now has not been properly instructed/drilled to track players or release the ball fast enough. Someone needs to tell him that if all our midfielders release the ball slow its going to kill the urgency in our team, and that is infectious..

There's such a thing called talent, to be able to release the ball fast you need vision and awareness of where there's space for you to make the passes. It's not something you can instruct or drill that easily. Some if not most of our current players are low ceiling players who will never be able to overcome their deficiencies cause those deficiencies are too major. You need to be able to line up the team so that those deficiencies are not exposed. Unfortunately when your entire team is filled with holes it becomes challenging to plug them all.

Joestlaachmkr

I probably doubt he'd leave Leicester mid season but considering what he said about having a release clause in his contract I wouldn't be surprised if he chose to join in the summer for next season.
The only reason i can see Rodgers leaving Leicester for Arsenal is money, but sportvise it would more logic if Rodgers continued his project at Leicester instead of taking over a club where he would need to start all over again. I doubt Rodgers are willing to leave Leicester during mid season or for the summer.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Tomorrows headline:

Pochettino rules himself out

Yes, and I hope it really happens such that we can move on and that tiny little flame of hope is gone. Don't want to invest myself on a manager that isn't going to come here anyways just because he'd be perfect and didn't bother ruli g himself out immediately.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

The only reason i can see Rodgers leaving Leicester for Arsenal is money, but sportvise it would more logic if Rodgers continued his project at Leicester instead of taking over a club where he would need to start all over again. I doubt Rodgers are willing to leave Leicester during mid season or for the summer.
Then why did he bring up the quote of having a release clause in his current contract? IMO if he didn't want the job he would have ruled himself out straight away I reckon, like Allegri has in saying he rejected the job & not interested.

Joestlaachmkr

Then why did he bring up the quote of having a release clause in his current contract? IMO if he didn't want the job he would have ruled himself out straight away I reckon, like Allegri has in saying he rejected the job & not interested.
Rodgers was asked by the reporter if he had a clause in his contract, where he responded by saying yes he has a clause like most managers have in their contracts. I dont think it`s likely that he is going to leave Leicester in 1 week or in 1 years time. I`m a bit skeptical about the reports that Allegri allegedly said no to take over Arsenal, it has only been reported by some clickbait newspapers, but they have not come up with a good source which support it.

But if it is actually true that Allegri turned down the chance to become our next manager, then it might have been a payback to the board who reportedly rejected him as a candidate to succeed Wenger because they thought Allegri "was arrogant".

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

If he (Allegri) has turned us down, I don't think I'm entirely fussed, he was never my 1st choice candidate anyway, he doesn't have much PL experience, his English is a bit like Emerys aswell, communication I reckon would be another barrier with him like with Emery. I'd rather someone with PL experience, good English language & prefers good attacking possession type football. In saying that though I certainly wouldn't be against him, I'd support him. Still rather someone like Rodgers.

GoodEbening

To Everyone Except Arteta
Rodgers would be great but he is on a roll now and tbh there is no reason for him to leave. Leicester are simply a better side than us, and the expectations there are much lower.

Joestlaachmkr

If he (Allegri) has turned us down, I don't think I'm entirely fussed, he was never my 1st choice candidate anyway, he doesn't have much PL experience, his English is a bit like Emerys aswell, communication I reckon would be another barrier with him like with Emery. I'd rather someone with PL experience, good English language & prefers good attacking possession type football. In saying that though I certainly wouldn't be against him, I'd support him. Still rather someone like Rodgers.
Enrique, Allegri or Rodgers was my top 3 candidates to replace Wenger, and the trio are still my favourites. Great managers can adapt to a new league pretty quickly, just look at Mourinho, Ancelotti, Pep, Klopp, Conte and Solskjaer (lol). The thing that it is a advantage for a manager to have experience in the PL is more myth than reality. Idk if Allegri speak any English at all but he is apparantly learning English, and Pochettino barely speaked English when he took over Southampton.

I rate both Allegri and Enrique higher than Rodgers.

Vanpayslip

They don't need to be the perfect fit to me, to answer to posts that were simply wrong especially when we're debating about them as potential candidates for the arsenal job.

Rodgers and Mourinho aren't my first choices. But if they had the arsenal job I wouldn't have been unhappy based on their résumé they both have something to bring to this team, in a very different way. For Mourinho ofc it's too late now he's signed for the spu*s.
I think it would have been a risky move, but if he somehow succeeded to convince the players and take them onboard, I really think it could have been interesting to develop their mentality, their winning culture, their hunger!
Our players have been too much comfortable in my taste over the past few years.
It could also have gone reaaaally wrong if they wouldn't have liked his management.

nothing wrong about the posts. You are one of a few who must think Mourinho leaves a legacy wherever he goes. Chelsea and United would disagree. As for Rodgers, nothing of note other than bottling the league with LFC. His career is built on the back of riding on the success of Suarez.

More importantly, and the point of the post was, Rodgers is not suitable for Arsenal.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
I honestly doubt Rodgers are going to leave Leicester for Arsenal, he is challenging for the title with Leicester who is more or less guaranteed to play in the CL next season, and Leicester are right now a more exciting project than what Arsenal is.

With all due respect to Leicester, they are not challenging for a title, they are leading the bunch in 2nd place.

Again, no disrespect meant to Leicester, they are performing well etc BUT I think Brendan knows they are at their limit, he knows they are punching above their weight again, no European games etc, Sp**s, Chelsea, Utd, us all struggling, even City.

There is a lot of circumstances at play which has Leicester in 2nd place, you see it a lot where clubs like Leicester go on a run or have a great season which is well above their club status. Arsenal is a huge club compared to Leicester, the off field side of things as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if Leicester finish 6th.

Brendan will join Arsenal given the chance, however it may be at the season end, even if they get CL they wont be winning it just along for the ride, they will again have the second season syndrome most lesser clubs have when achieving something the year before.

He would be mad to reject Arsenal.

Joestlaachmkr

With all due respect to Leicester, they are not challenging for a title, they are leading the bunch in 2nd place.

Again, no disrespect meant to Leicester, they are performing well etc BUT I think Brendan knows they are at their limit, he knows they are punching above their weight again, no European games etc, Sp**s, Chelsea, Utd, us all struggling, even City.

There is a lot of circumstances at play which has Leicester in 2nd place, you see it a lot where clubs like Leicester go on a run or have a great season which is well above their club status. Arsenal is a huge club compared to Leicester, the off field side of things as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if Leicester finish 6th.

Brendan will join Arsenal given the chance, however it may be at the season end, even if they get CL they wont be winning it just along for the ride, they will again have the second season syndrome most lesser clubs have when achieving something the year before.

He would be mad to reject Arsenal.
I definitely see Leicester as a contender for the title, they are in my opinion the biggest threat to Liverpool this season.

Agree that Leicester are over performing ATM, but they also have a strong squad and there is a reason why they are above us, utd, chelsea, tottenham and city on the table.

I wouldn`t be surprised if Leicester goes on and win the title.

I`m not sure if BR would leave Leicester for us if he gets the chance, and lets face it we are not as attractive club for managers or players as we used to be. I believe small clubs like Leicester and Wolves are both going be a major factor in PL for years to come.

I am realistic, and i dont think Rodgers are going to leave Leicester.

Last edited:

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
I definitely see Leicester as a contender for the title, they are in my opinion the biggest threat to Liverpool this season.

Agree that Leicester are over performing ATM, but they also have a strong squad and there is a reason why they are above us, utd, chelsea, tottenham and city on the table.

I wouldn`t be surprised if Leicester goes on and win the title.

I`m not sure if BR would leave Leicester for us if he gets the chance, and lets face it we are not as attractive club for managers or players as we used to be. I believe small clubs like Leicester and Wolves are both going be a major factor in PL for years to come.

I am realistic, and i dont think Rodgers are going to leave Leicester.

We are at the exact same level of attraction as we have always been if not more, the club infrastructure is all in place and now we have shown we are willing to drop £70mil on a player.

We have Auba, Pepe, Torreira, Bellerin, Leno, Tierney - these are players managers would be more than happy to build off. Our backup striker is a £50mil Lacazette, Martinelli is coming through, Saka is coming through, the pressure of following Wenger is gone, the wage budget is there, the transfer budget appears to be there, the stadium, the training ground is all there.

Its the exact same at Utd, the football level has dropped but these are still 2 huge clubs and in the right hands can turn into powerhouses again.

The only thing which is not as attractive is the prospect of having to go up and compete against other clubs, its now a top 6, not top 4 or 2, you have to compete for players and CL which isnt as easy as it was.

It could well be single digits of how many better clubs there are to manage worldwide than Arsenal, Leicester and Wolves are not in that category, I'll take a stab at a list;

Real Madrid
Barca
Juve
Utd
City
Pool
Bayern
PSG (not sure)
Atletico (not sure)

Wolves were a financial powerhouse in the Championship, in the PL they have proven nothing in spending, taking that next step to challenge the PL big boys is huge.

All my opinion btw, not saying you're wrong, just don't agree ;)

GoonerBoy19

Arteta and pep are getting frustrated with City results and are under pressure now, how could Arteta cope with much inferior squad of Arsenal? Freddie knows the club and squad far better tham him plus Freddie have Arsenal DNA. It should be a proven manager or Freddie can do it till we find someone who is capable enough.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
A brief summary of Ornstein’s piece today (stolen from reddit).

• The Athletic understands Arsenal have priority names and the initial focus is on candidates who are immediately available. That would point towards the likes of Allegri, Pochettino, while some believe Arteta would fall into the same category if he asked to leave.

• Complicating matters is an apparent preference not to spend heavily on acquiring the next boss, which would be a problem for most people currently in management & possibly even for those who are not depending on the terms of their severance agreements with ex employers.

• Sources claim Allegri now has concerns about the quality of Arsenal’s squad and would rather wait until the summer to return to the dugout, yet the club are known to retain their fondness for him.

• It is thought that Rodgers is back in their thoughts and that tentative enquiries have been made, only for a clear message to be relayed that he is happy at Leicester and is going nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

In June 1996, David Dein, Peter Hill-Wood and Danny Fiszman came out to Nagoya to meet me on behalf of Arsenal. Within an hour we came to an agreement. The Japanese directors didn't try to keep hold of me in the usual way but talked with persuasive arguments... But as far as I was concerned, the decision was taken. Arsenal. A decision that would change my life.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom