• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
In passing, the two conditions you need on the pitch are passing options and a small pocket of space for the receiver to receive the ball. A great passer like Özil can do nothing if the opponent shuts down both conditions. Mark him tight to limit his passing options, and closes all the gaps with disciplined defence to cut potential receiver’s space.

That is why people believe Özil is “inconsistent”. I don’t believe a great passer like him will be a great passer in one game and suddenly lost his attributes in another game. So I don’t think he is inconsistent. His limited ability help him to play well in some matches but not in some matches when the conditions he needed are not fulfilled. What really happened is, defending against Özil is easy, just eliminate the two conditions and when the opponent team is doing it right, Özil will have a bad game.

If you dribble past a player, you suddenly open up lots of spaces and lots of passing options. You also disrupted their marking. Should the opponents’ defence stay with a potential receiver of the ball? Or charge out to mark you instead? By this you create those small gaps to pass into.

Özil needs certain conditions to exist for him to showcase his passing quality. Other world class attacking midfielders create those conditions for themselves and for their teammates.

This is Özil left with no passing options. He can do nothing even he is such a talented passer. (Please ignore the other players’ name on here)
38-BA1-C01-36-A0-4-F59-B179-F6-CF21-FB3-B8-B.jpg

If Özil can dribble past his marker, there will be a lot more passing options available. Number 4 will have a headache on who he should mark.
3452-D44-B-9071-4-F4-F-A8-CA-1-BEA83-F9-EF69.jpg

I'm sorry, but what an ignorant post :facepalm:

good for you

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
He has good touch, passing and off the ball movement. That’s it.

On the ball he is far from cazorla level, Özil doesn’t have the close control, techniques, skills dribbling. That’s why Özil was never anywhere close to iniesta, modric, Isco, Erikson, Coutinho, Kaka level.

If you are able to dribble past a player, you suddenly have much more space to exploit, more options to pass to, creating more space and chances on the pitch.

When Özil gets the ball, most of the time it’s just a simple pass back to another teammate. If there’s no passing options, he lost possession.

Ridicilous post tbf

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
In passing, the two conditions you need on the pitch are passing options and a small pocket of space for the receiver to receive the ball. A great passer like Özil can do nothing if the opponent shuts down both conditions. Mark him tight to limit his passing options, and closes all the gaps with disciplined defence to cut potential receiver’s space.

That is why people believe Özil is “inconsistent”. I don’t believe a great passer like him will be a great passer in one game and suddenly lost his attributes in another game. So I don’t think he is inconsistent. His limited ability help him to play well in some matches but not in some matches when the conditions he needed are not fulfilled. What really happened is, defending against Özil is easy, just eliminate the two conditions and when the opponent team is doing it right, Özil will have a bad game.

If you dribble past a player, you suddenly open up lots of spaces and lots of passing options. You also disrupted their marking. Should the opponents’ defence stay with a potential receiver of the ball? Or charge out to mark you instead? By this you create those small gaps to pass into.

Özil needs certain conditions to exist for him to showcase his passing quality. Other world class attacking midfielders create those conditions for themselves and for their teammates.

This is Özil left with no passing options. He can do nothing even he is such a talented passer. (Please ignore the other players’ name on here)

If Özil can dribble past his marker, there will be a lot more passing options available. Number 4 will have a headache on who he should mark.

I’m inclined to agree.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Ridicilous post tbf
this is the follow up post

RUS arsenal

Established Member
good for you
I'm sorry but it really was. First of all, while Özil doesn't have the dribbling skills and close ball control of a Cazorla, he is a decent dribbler in his own right. Second, if you can have everything in a footballer then you pretty much get Messi and sure, Özil is not Messi, but how many Messi's are out there running about in the world?

Third, sure dribbling is one way to open up tight marking but it is not the only way and from a team perspective not the best way as it involves an element of risk of a turnover inviting a counter. The best way to get past tight marking is off-the-ball movement by the whole team where you play quick one-twos and create triangles. The problem for Özil is that in far too many games we are too static with the ball making it easy for the opponents to mark us.

Another way to beat compact teams is to win the ball high up the pitch which is something Arteta is trying to implement because if you can do that then there are bound to be defending players out of position.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
I'm sorry but it really was. First of all, while Özil doesn't have the dribbling skills and close ball control of a Cazorla, he is a decent dribbler in his own right. Second, if you can have everything in a footballer then you pretty much get Messi and sure, Özil is not Messi, but how many Messi's are out there running about in the world?

Third, sure dribbling is one way to open up tight marking but it is not the only way and from a team perspective not the best way as it involves an element of risk of a turnover inviting a counter. The best way to get past tight marking is off-the-ball movement by the whole team where you play quick one-twos and create triangles. The problem for Özil is that in far too many games we are too static with the ball making it easy for the opponents to mark us.

Another way to beat compact teams is to win the ball high up the pitch which is something Arteta is trying to implement because if you can do that then there are bound to be defending players out of position.

You’re right.

Dribbling is not the only way to open up a defence, but it certainly is a very efficient way. Movement off the ball is another one.

The best teams combine both ways to unlock any defence at anytime. We can only rely on just one way, which is very limited, and ineffective.

In the old days when more teams play man marking, movement off the ball is a very useful way to disrupt a defence. Because your marker will follow your movement. So you have “control” on your opponent’s defence position. See how Blue 5 have all the space to exploit because of other player’s movement to drag their opponent out of position.
52-B817-CF-2-CE4-49-B8-864-E-9-D96-B023-A386.jpg

But football doesn’t play like this anymore. Many teams including very attacking teams. When they are defending, they sit deep and defend in a zonal manner. Movement alone can’t break the defence easily anymore.
A4-B343-BD-A92-D-45-D0-9-F21-EB3-C9-EFCB52-A.jpg

Again, both ways are important, and top teams are able to unlock opponent defence using a combination of both. Look at City, Bayern and Barcelona, most of their players including defensive players are all very skillful on the ball.

Your argument is that Özil and our team can use their off the ball movement to break down a defence. And they are not required to be good on the ball, or do not need any dribbling skills. Because off the ball movement can unlock a defence.

My argument does not prefer skills over off the ball movement. We need BOTH. I did emphasise on skills but it’s because we are so lack of it in our squad. We lost all the players who are good on and off the ball.
World class attacking midfielders are good at both, iniesta, modric, Kaka, Isco......or even cazorla, erikson......Özil is just half a player, sometimes he might be able to shake a player off when being challenged, but he doesn’t have the skills to intentionally take on a player to dribble past him.

Last edited:

RUS arsenal

Established Member
You’re right.

Dribbling is not the only way to open up a defence, but it certainly is a very efficient way. Movement off the ball is another one.

The best teams combine both ways to unlock any defence at anytime. We can only rely on just one way, which is very limited, and ineffective.

In the old days when more teams play man marking, movement off the ball is a very useful way to disrupt a defence. Because your marker will follow your movement. So you have “control” on your opponent’s defence position. See how Blue 5 have all the space to exploit because of other player’s movement to drag their opponent out of position.
52-B817-CF-2-CE4-49-B8-864-E-9-D96-B023-A386.jpg

But football doesn’t play like this anymore. Many teams including very attacking teams. When they are defending, they sit deep and defend in a zonal manner. Movement alone can’t break the defence easily anymore.
A4-B343-BD-A92-D-45-D0-9-F21-EB3-C9-EFCB52-A.jpg

Again, both ways are important, and top teams are able to unlock opponent defence using a combination of both.
But it doesn't have to Özil who mainly does it. Mind you Özil can dribble under the right circumstances but he doesn't have to be the one doing it in order to open up space to work with. Pepe or Martinelli, who are better dribblers, can be the ones to do it and then eventually get it to Özil who is a master of finding space for himself if there is an opportunity. If you look at Wenger teams, he always had a dribbler in the midfield like Hleb, Arshavin or Santi who could do it, it didn't have to be Cesc. Once the opponent is off-balance then with a string of passes you would eventually get it to your playmaker who will make the decisive pass and if he is getting marked by multiple people then it gives others space and opportunity.

RUS arsenal

Established Member
Your argument is that Özil and our team can use their off the ball movement to break down a defence. And they are not required to be good on the ball, or do not need any dribbling skills. Because off the ball movement can unlock a defence.

My argument does not prefer skills over off the ball movement. We need BOTH. I did emphasise on skills but it’s because we are so lack of it in our squad. We lost all the players who are good on and off the ball.
World class attacking midfielders are good at both iniesta, modric, Kaka, Isco......or even cazorla, erikson......Özil is just half a player.
No mate, I specifically stated that Özil can handle himself with the ball. Modric is good not because he can dribble past a whole team, he can't. Similarly Özil is not all about the pass, he has ample skill with the ball to get out of trouble, open up space for himself or even get past a player given the opportunity. His touch in his prime was impeccable and he would often be able to get away from his marker with that first touch. Your statement that Özil has complete lack of skill and dribbling ability with the ball is just plain false. Özil has many flaws as a player but that's not one of them. He is not Cazorla in terms of dribbling but he can hold his own and his skill with the ball is world class.

Last edited:

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade

That’s why you need other players to do their job and not only Özil. But I trust more in ARtETa than anything. Anyway, Özil is doing perfect moves without the ball, so even if he is not touching the ball , he will keep occupied two player and create gaps for others. Problem previously without Arteta was team had cero movement without the ball. Now you start to see much better movements.

They now know what to play. The better a team works, the better Özil looks. He is directly related to the function of one team, like it or not. In words from
Bielsa, you can break foes in tho ways, passing or dribbling. And to me dribbling is overrated compared to passing. A player who rely in passing can be as good as Özil, a player who only dribbles and does not pass t he ball is useless in a team.

BTW is not like Özil is not capable of pass players, so trying to make him look like he is an idiot with t he ball is stupidity at his best.

Anyway, he is playing and doing great... I will enjoy his beautiful football and his smart playing. Even more, I will enjoy the tears from his haters, those so called “fans”. Because there is a lot of that garbage in this forum... so many giving hate to our own players.

yorch44

No mate, I specifically stated that Özil can handle himself with the ball. Modric is good not because he can dribble past a whole team, he can't. Similarly Özil is not all about the pass, he has ample skill with the ball to get out of trouble, open up space for himself or even get past a player given the opportunity. His touch in his prime was impeccable and he would often be able to get away from his marker with that first touch. Your statement that Özil has complete lack of skill and dribbling ability with the ball is just plain false. Özil has many flaws as a player and that's not one of them. He is not Cazorla in terms of dribbling but he can hold his own and his skill with the ball world class.
Agree... I have played football at some level, and this is the first thing a good manager wants from you. Play it simple, don’t complicate with useless tricks.

Having the ability to lose your opponent with the first touch is something every manager wants in a player. Because you gain a time to play it quickly... pass it quickly. The ball runs faster than any player. Dribbling and tricks works in the last third. But we know how useless is a show pony.

Only smart persons and those who played this game at some level can understand how difficult is to play the game simply, easy and effective.

RUS arsenal

Established Member
Did you watched him at Real Madrid for example? He is everything you want from a number 10.
Exactly, problem is that the era of the classical #10 is kinda outdated which is part of the reason Özil has been struggling more and more with time but it seems Arteta figured out a way to make it work which I am actually quite impressed with and why I am optimistic about his managerial appointment, time will tell.

yorch44

Exactly, problem is that the era of the classical #10 is kinda outdated which is part of the reason Özil has been struggling more and more with time but it seems Arteta figured out a way to make it work which I am actually quite impressed with and why I am optimistic about his managerial appointment, time will tell.
Because we went through dark days in football. So many managers doing the easy negative tactics. Any poor team can park the bus, any mediocre manager can do that. Only good managers with a lot of work can propose football. But if you watch as a counter, new and young managers are coming with the opposite.

This is the classical dialectical theory. Like modernism vs post-modernism. It’s not a coincidence the last dominating teams are those with offensive and positive Football.

A true 10 will always have a place if he is willing to help the team. If Özil at 31 can, others cam can do it.

And stop talking of football like those days were Pele days. Football hasn’t change like that in 5-8 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

You are loved when you’re born, you’re loved when you die, and in between you have to manage

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom