• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
He played every minute for Arteta pre lockdown? That when over my head if true.

Kind of ****ed up if the reason now as still paying him... just for nothing.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Why didn't he come out and speak out against Erdogan when Erdogan was persecuting the Kurds?
People don’t mention this enough. Özil’s political ties are dodgy and people only bring up the mistreatment of Muslims in China as a weird and flimsy way to defend his actions.
I wish that and BLM wouldn’t get dragged into this - the guy is clearly sh*t now and we messed up with our second contract with him. I am not sure why this is so difficult to accept.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Do you honestly view this interview as

(a) A heartfelt, honest disclosure of current position and grievances

or

(b) Tactical positioning using a carefully curated choice of words

If you have selected (a) then you and your dependants are at great risk of being exploited by nefarious individuals!!! :lol:

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
See this is the whataboutery I’m talking about. Where have I even mentioned Özil in either of my last two posts?

Surely you can see the hypocrisy?
What whataboutery?

He's running around crying that the club didn't show him more support during the Uyghur issue and yet he's cozying up to a someone who persecuted the Kurds and imprisoned 68 journalist in 2018 without fair trial. He was even the best man in Özil's wedding FFS.

I don't care if they're best buds. But for him to come out and say the club should have supported him is bit hypocritic. During the 'My president' photo Shît storm, arsenal was very supportive towards Özil, they didn't distance themselves from him said photo, but Özil has forgotten all that chose to being up the Uyghur who most Muslims don't even give a fùck about.

How many prominent Muslim countries spoke against it?

Yet you'd expect Arsenal to undertake that task?

We're not political party. We're a Football club

sykesy69

Özil playing 90mins each game, playing pressing pre-CV-19 football... I'm a **** for brains when it comes to memory, but I think not!!

BenTal

Player:Zinchenko
It's very simple. We should do the exact thing Real Madrid is doing with Bale. Play him in the EFL and FA cup games or completely exclude him from the team for the next season and ask him to train with youth. He's got a toxic character unfortunately :facepalm: :frustrated:

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

What whataboutery?

He's running around crying that the club didn't show him more support during the Uyghur issue and yet he's cozying up to a someone who persecuted the Kurds and imprisoned 68 journalist in 2018 without fair trial. He was even the best man in Özil's wedding FFS.

I don't care if they're best buds. But for him to come out and say the club should have supported him is bit hypocritic. During the 'My president' Shît storm, arsenal was very supportive towards Özil, they didn't distance themselves from him said photo but Özil has forgotten all that chose to forget about the Uyghur who most Muslims don't even give a fùck about.

How many prominent Muslim countries spoke against it?

Yet you'd expect Arsenal to undertake that task?

We're not political party. We're a Football club

It’s whataboutery because you’re having a pop at me over Özil when I’ve not even mentioned him?

Read my post again, the club desperate to distance themselves from any Chinese fallout while paying lip service to BLM is the definition of hypocrisy.

Just stay out of it altogether if you’re not willing to make real changes to the way the club is ran.

Kav

Established Member
You got heated when someone referred to him as a parasite (purely financially) so it came across that way - hence me asking why someone who has followed us for so long is losing his **** over a few comments slagging off a player who could care less about his career or the club.

As for the rest of your post - I'm assuming your talking generally not about me as again, I just asked you a question...

What is your take on him anyway?

Honestly I think his performances on a whole have been disappointing. He needs to take more command of games. He should have achieved more during his time here (subject tot the quality of players in the team).

On the salary issue the optics looked bad where he is concerned. However I am the kind of person who would ask the same questions and would want assurances as to what the funds would be used for should I take a pay cut. As I said many months ago if the players agreed to a pay cut and the club then turned around and made another 70m signing I would feel unhappy about that.

On whether he’s been coasting. I would like to think it is more dynamic than that. There are too many factors at play, the manager, pressure Raul, Vinnai to get his wages off the books. Competition from other players. Without sufficient information I can’t offer any opinion on that subject.

He had become divisive figure at the club, partly because of cultural differences. For example the average English fans love to see their players run around and put a shift in. Even when the player is lacking in quality and produces very little. Özil’s playing style and body language is the exact opposite of that and he easily becomes the target of abuse. Once Wenger was gone he became the favored scapegoat due to his wages. I’m of the view that very little of the criticism he receives on here is about his football (which may very well be warranted).

I just believe that we should act with decency to all our players and support them when they are playing for the team. Criticizing them when they do badly on the pitch and leave it at that and give them a clean slate at the next match. Sell them if they are not up to scratch and replace them with better players but don’t go around attacking them for existing, playing for the club or getting paid to do what they enjoy.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
It’s whataboutery because you’re having a pop at me over Özil when I’ve not even mentioned him?

Read my post again, the club desperate to distance themselves from any Chinese fallout while paying lip service to BLM is the definition of hypocrisy.

Just stay out of it altogether if you’re not willing to make real changes to the way the club is ran.
Forgot which journalist made the point but would the club have distanced themselves from "political statements" if in the 80s one of their players had spoken out against Apartheid?

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On

The players were advised by the PFA to opt for wage defferals as opposed to cuts until there was more information about the crisis.

Arteta then personally urged the players to take the cut, which Özil didn't agree to.

That's why he's not been playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I've never been a goalscorer. I've only owned goals. Good own goals.

Steve Bould

Latest posts

Top Bottom