• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ryan Bertrand

Status
Not open for further replies.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I'm kinda fine with the idea of Bertrand, as long as he's not given longer than a 2 year deal or so. Everyone's broke these days, no one's doing any business, we need a LB, he's a serviceable LB, like beggars can't be choosers I guess.

Problem is that he likely won't agree to 1-2 year deal. Something like 3 years is probable. And this is something people will complain about forever.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Problem is that he likely won't agree to 1-2 year deal. Something like 3 years is probable. And this is something people will complain about forever.
Would you blame people for complaining though? We just signed an OAP and gave him his pension package. Willian may as well be ****ting his pants and eating his food through a straw at this stage.

Its not good for the culture in the dressing room having too many players reaching the twilight of their careers. We want to have an air of motivation, players who are in that age bracket which leads to them reaching their peak. Sometimes players can really surprise you when they hit their peak. The only surprise you get with 31 year olds with 3 year deals is how **** they quickly become because of the drop off from knowing their final large contract has been secured. That little change can make all the difference as we have seen with Willian.

drippin

Would you blame people for complaining though? We just signed an OAP and gave him his pension package. Willian may as well be ****ting his pants and eating his food through a straw at this stage.

Its not good for the culture in the dressing room having too many players reaching the twilight of their careers. We want to have an air of motivation, players who are in that age bracket which leads to them reaching their peak. Sometimes players can really surprise you when they hit their peak. The only surprise you get with 31 year olds with 3 year deals is how **** they quickly become because of the drop off from knowing their final large contract has been secured. That little change can make all the difference as we have seen with Willian.

Well, I'm all for 1-2 year deal for Bertrand.

But these complainers need to give examples of players they rather get for similar amount of money, who are also willing to be backup players.

We are not City. It's very easy to complain, but not sure how fun life that brings.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
There are millions of fullbacks out there. Players who will be cheap, and will actually have a good age profile. If we are lucky we sign someone who stays here for the rest of their career as "Mr.Reliable", who is happy to be a squad player.

Bertrand is 31, I don't want him. Its getting embarassing now.

Name one

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
There's one in the PL who's contract is also expiring in the summer: Mitchell. He may not be the reincarnate of Roberto Carlos but he is young and will be on lower wages with PL experience. He plays some games for you, improves, and you sell him to a team like Soton for £15m if you want. Unfortunately we are going to hoover up their trash and then let them get the player who can actually bring in some money for them in the medium term.

I am no expert but other leagues (Spain, France, Germany) are certainly going to have fullbacks of the right profile, you probably find a few in South America also, where Edu has links.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
There's one in the PL who's contract is also expiring in the summer: Mitchell. He may not be the reincarnate of Roberto Carlos but he is young and will be on lower wages with PL experience. He plays some games for you, improves, and you sell him to a team like Soton for £15m if you want. Unfortunately we are going to hoover up their trash and then let them get the player who can actually bring in some money for them in the medium term.

I am no expert but other leagues (Spain, France, Germany) are certainly going to have fullbacks of the right profile, you probably find a few in South America also, where Edu has links.

Well apparently we're looking at him too.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Well, I'm all for 1-2 year deal for Bertrand.

But these complainers need to give examples of players they rather get for similar amount of money, who are also willing to be backup players.

We are not City. It's very easy to complain, but not sure how fun life that brings.
I wouldn't mind a 1-2 year deal but he probably wants a 3 year deal, he can probably find it somewhere. And he will probably find it here.

I am not usually a complainer, but this is getting a bit ridiculous now. Willian, Cedric, Bertrand. Players over the hill who are on long contracts (not sure yet with bertrand but if we sign him he probably will be on a 3 year deal). Other teams who are poor don't even do that. You can find a clever deal for a fullback for 5-10m on 30k a week who has a year left on their deal at a European team. I am not a scout but its quite obvious there are so many fullbacks out there. Monreal was an amazing pickup and he was a first choice left back never mind tryna find a backup.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Well apparently we're looking at him too.
Yeah I wouldn't mind signing Mitchell, I just find the idea of signing another 31+ year old bemusing. There are considerations to be made other than their transfer fee being £0. Their wage for a back up player will be disgraceful, effecting our wage structure. And there are culture issues which potentially breed with these players. You cant teach old dogs new tricks, if you want to change a culture at a club you need young mouldable minds. Even if you sign someone who isnt playing for your first team he can have an effect on these things at a club.

Iceman10

Established Member
I wouldn't mind a 1-2 year deal but he probably wants a 3 year deal, he probably find it somewhere. And he will probably find it here.

I am not usually a complainer, but this is getting a bit ridiculous now. Willian, Cedric, Bertrand. Players over the hill who are on long contracts (not sure yet with bertrand but if we sign him he probably will be on a 3 year deal). Other teams who are poor don't even do that. You can find a clever deal for a fullback for 5-10m who has a year left on their deal at a European team. I am not a scout but its quite obvious there are so many fullbacks out there. Monreal was an amazing pickup and he was a first choice left back never mind tryna find a backup.

Would be a bit more open on Cedric now. Question is if this business is linked with selling AMN. Could be clubs enquiring about him (AMN) right now for all we know.

drippin

I wouldn't mind a 1-2 year deal but he probably wants a 3 year deal, he can probably find it somewhere. And he will probably find it here.

I am not usually a complainer, but this is getting a bit ridiculous now. Willian, Cedric, Bertrand. Players over the hill who are on long contracts (not sure yet with bertrand but if we sign him he probably will be on a 3 year deal). Other teams who are poor don't even do that. You can find a clever deal for a fullback for 5-10m on 30k a week who has a year left on their deal at a European team. I am not a scout but its quite obvious there are so many fullbacks out there. Monreal was an amazing pickup and he was a first choice left back never mind tryna find a backup.

Mitchell, yeah, we're trying him also. But it's not always so simple, as "Get that one, are you stupid Arsenal?" The player needs to want to come.

Why would someone who has just played his first 10 EPL games at 21 years old, come to be a back-up for Tierney (who is a certain starter)?

Where are the millions of LB's you mention? You mentioned just one we already knew about.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Would be a bit more open on Cedric now. Question is if this business is linked with selling AMN. Could be clubs enquiring about him (AMN) right now for all we know.
I've actually been protecting Cedric on here for a while. He wasn't crazy old when we signed him, although the 4 year deal on 70k+ a week was excessive as usual.

My issue is the pattern of this happening. After Cedric, we signed Willian. After Willian, we may sign Bertrand. Are we going to fill our entire squad with old players who have no transfer value and are going to stay here until the end of their contract? For me its extremely lazy running of a club. If firing scouts was because they can consistently do stupid deals like this then it was a bad idea.

In terms of AMN, it is the best for him if he moves along. We can probably get £25m now he is an international. I'm just asking us to spend lets say £8m and 40k wages on a player you can sell for around the same price or maybe even more, rather than £0m and 75k wages on an empty hole... you don't get anything back there. Do well run clubs we are competing with do stuff like that? Do Leciester or Sp**s ? No, they don't. Sp**s are mainly only signing young players apart from the Bale loan which was just stupid and done for other reasons than football.

Iceman10

Established Member

The reason I say this by the way is I cannot see how we can add Bertrand right now without selling AMN due to squad registration numbers. Either it is Bertrand in and AMN out within the next few days or this is just an approach for the summer, but I see Mikel wanting that left footed deputy for Tierney right now.

drippin

I've actually been protecting Cedric on here for a while. He wasn't crazy old when we signed him, although the 4 year deal on 70k+ a week was excessive as usual.

My issue is the pattern of this happening. After Cedric, we signed Willian. After Willian, we may sign Bertrand. Are we going to fill our entire squad with old players who have no transfer value and are going to stay here until the end of their contract? For me its extremely lazy running of a club. If firing scouts was because they can consistently do stupid deals like this then it was a bad idea.

In terms of AMN, it is the best for him if he moves along. We can probably get £25m now he is an international. I'm just asking us to spend lets say £8m and 40k wages on a player you can sell for around the same price or maybe even more, rather than £0m and 75k wages on an empty hole... you don't get anything back there. Do well run clubs we are competing with do stuff like that? Do Leciester or Sp**s ? No, they don't. Sp**s are mainly only signing young players apart from the Bale loan which was just stupid and done for other reasons than football.

Where are you getting EPL level HG LB for 8 million pounds? That's ridiculous, unless you know such LB's that have one or less years in contract.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Where are the millions of LB's you mention? You mentioned just one we already knew about.
I dont get paid £70,000 a year to be a football scout bro, I don't get half a mil to be a DoF either. I dont have contacts and high quality analytics like they do. If its so hard to not sign OAPs then why do Leciester or Sp**s rarely do so?

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I think some people saying he is the right profile as backup aren't aware of his age. He is 31, not 28 or 29.

He could easily fall off a cliff like Willian did after he signed his last Premier League contract. Don't we ever learn? I'd be all over this if he was at the right age.

I'd only be behind a 1+1 deal

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Where are you getting EPL level HG LB for 8 million pounds? That's ridiculous, unless you know such LB's that have one or less years in contract.
Well as you or another poster said he won't be starting many games, he will have his time to develop. Monreal cost like 12m and he was a starter. We can sign a prospect for £8m.

Its above me and your pay grade so dont bother asking me who :lol:

edit: didnt see that you said HG. He doesnt necessarily have to be HG. Aren't we letting go so many players who arent? Özil, Sokratis, Mustafi, Kola, and then maybe a couple sales like Elneny/Laca/Xhaka etc.

If you want HG then go to the Champiosnhip buddy.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Mitchell, yeah, we're trying him also. But it's not always so simple, as "Get that one, are you stupid Arsenal?" The player needs to want to come.

Why would someone who has just played his first 10 EPL games at 21 years old, come to be a back-up for Tierney (who is a certain starter)?

That's a good point. Mitchell could force Van Aanholt out of the Palace team and establish himself there, it'd be really weird to give that opportunity up to come here and play back-up to Tierney.

We all want cheap young homegrown back-ups but the reality isn't so simple.

drippin

Well as you or another poster said he won't be starting many games, he will have his time to develop. Monreal cost like 12m and he was a starter. We can sign a prospect for £8m.

Its above me and your pay grade so dont bother asking me who :lol:

edit: didnt see that you said HG. He doesnt necessarily have to be HG. Aren't we letting go so many players who arent? Özil, Sokratis, Mustafi, Kola, and then maybe a couple sales like Elneny/Laca/Xhaka etc.

Monreal cost 10 million euros, and the year was 2013. That's ancient stuff basically. Football prices have skyrocketed.

Okay so you basically just complain, and have no good alternatives (I have a bit hard time believing Mitchell comes here as 2nd LB, and don't even know if he is as good as Bertrand.)

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
That's a good point. Mitchell could force Van Aanholt out of the Palace team and establish himself there, it'd be really weird to give that opportunity up to come here and play back-up to Tierney.

We all want cheap young homegrown back-ups but the reality isn't so simple.
But how long would you want the Bertrand contract for? Its a lose lose. You sign him for 3 years and maybe you dont have to worry about a backup HG LB for that time but its not the longest. Well what if we sign him on a 1+1 or a 2 year deal? We are just delaying the inevitable. We could have been developing a decent back up player in the EL, cups, and occasionally in the PL in that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I don’t look at the passport of people; I look at their quality and their attitude.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom