• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Managerial Royalty

Baki

Loves Anime Hates Mikel
I think people like me just need to accept that football fandom has changed. Everything's short term these days.

Doesn't really matter how big a job a managers got on, if there's not a significant improvement in results within 12 months a sizeable portion of the fanbase are going to want to keep on the managerial merry go round until a manager clicks almost instantly. It's just not a suitable mentality for a club like Arsenal in my opinion.

We're not Chelsea, Man Utd or Man City when it comes to financial might. At some point were going to have to give a manager 3 years and say turn this ship around long term and not ask for quick fixes. It doesn't have to be Arteta necessarily, but it has to be someone.
You’re right , we’re not like the oil clubs + Man U. We can’t afford to be consistent out of the CL or EL and that’s why it was **** stupid to go for a novice manager who doesn’t know what the **** they’re doing. We’re actually a club that needs short term results / stability in the top 6. All those other clubs can indulge in multiple years outside the CL from a money perspective.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

I largely agree with you.

I'm not sure on Arteta not being able to work with unpolished diamonds though.

Okay he didn't sign the likes of Saka, KT, ESR, Holding etc but I'd argue he's done a pretty good job in moulding these guys and lifting their level in his time here and they're certainly not fully developed players yet, even Saka.
I wouldn’t call Saka and KT unpolished diamonds though, they’ve been at a certain level since their debut like Leno.

I’ll give you Holding though I thought he was done at Arsenal.

Iceman10

Established Member
We as fans wanted to move on from Wenger because we wanted a manager that can do more and help us achieve a PL title. It looked Wenger could no longer do that.

You are wrong to try to speak for all fans. For myself, continuing on in the CL was good enough because we didn’t have resources to match City, Chelsea, United. It was when we fell out of Top 4 and were going backwards with around 65 points instead of 70+ points from 38 matches that time was up, because we had also fallen behind Liverpool and Spuds. I do sympathise with views that we should have won the season Leicester did, but still, Top 4 was good enough for me to keep building after the Adidas deals started.

Never forget though that the pressure on Wenger started before we fell out from Top 4, driven by the unrealistic impatient mindset you have highlighted which I assume was how you thought at the time. For myself Arteta’s future is very much in the balance now especially if we lose in the EL but I have to say opinions of a faction of fans such as yourself carry less weight with fans like myself because we see you as having poor judgement in the first place where you created a toxic atmosphere during Wenger’s later years which has continued since. It is because of that mindset that I have gone more on the conservative side where the threshold is now high for me to give up on a manager because I know the risk is the toxic atmosphere will continue and will likely manifest within 12-18 months on the successor anyway. Bottom line though, please don’t purport to speak for all Arsenal fans.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
We're not the oil clubs or Manu... what are we then? Below Leicester, Everton, Tottenham and West Ham in the pecking order? Is that what we believe it has come to?

The lowering of expectations is the first step in the dismantling of an institution. The Kronkes have indeed succeeded. The coronavirus has worked admirably in their favour.

Baki

Loves Anime Hates Mikel
Arteta cult-ists goal posts:

- He DoEsnt have the players
(Ignores that ducking West Ham is better than us and will likely slip to 12th place in a weeks time)

- YoU can’t FiRe hiM, we CaNT aFford the instability
(Ignores that we literally need that European money as we’re not a ****ing oil club and this guy has us in ducking 10th place and in relegation places earlier in the season)

- TRuST the PrOcess
(Really? Trust the most incompetent board out of the big clubs? Trust a novice manager with the biggest rebuild since the 80s? Who the **** has earned our trust?)

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I wouldn’t call Saka and KT unpolished diamonds though, they’ve been at a certain level since their debut like Leno.

I’ll give you Holding though I thought he was done at Arsenal.

I'm speculating but the players who have performed better / well under him seem to be the one's who seem like they really buy into Arteta and his methods.

Arteta seems to me that he's one of those managers where if you're not 100% committed to him and his philosophy he's got little time for you.

I could be wrong though, it's all speculation on my part.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
Meaningless. There were at least three seasons after our last league win when Wenger had us top of the league for stretches and then fell off to loud recriminations from all and sundry.

Show me that list in five games time and let's see where we are then.
Wenger destroyed this club.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Wenger destroyed this club.

tenor.gif

Baki

Loves Anime Hates Mikel
You are wrong to try to speak for all fans. For myself, continuing on in the CL was good enough because we didn’t have resources to match City, Chelsea, United. It was when we fell out of Top 4 and were going backwards with around 65 points instead of 70+ points from 38 matches that time was up, because we had also fallen behind Liverpool and Spuds. I do sympathise with views that we should have won the season Leicester did, but still, Top 4 was good enough for me to keep building after the Adidas deals started.

Never forget though that the pressure on Wenger started before we fell out from Top 4, driven by the unrealistic impatient mindset you have highlighted which I assume was how you thought at the time. For myself Arteta’s future is very much in the balance now especially if we lose in the EL but I have to say opinions of a faction of fans such as yourself carry less weight with fans like myself because we see you as having poor judgement in the first place where you created a toxic atmosphere during Wenger’s later years which has continued since. It is because of that mindset that I have gone more on the conservative side where the threshold is now high for me to give up on a manager because I know the risk is the toxic atmosphere will continue and will likely manifest within 12-18 months on the successor anyway. Bottom line though, please don’t purport to speak for all Arsenal fans.

Actually I was Wenger in for most of his tenure. I think the biggest problem has always been ownership and not backing Wenger with finances. That said, I think most of us realised that this was not going to change anytime soon and that Wenger was close to retirement. Therefore, the board needed to find a replacement that could take over and do better within the constraints of the club.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
Lol, the Wenger stans acting as if he didn't take a club that was finishing top of the league without dropping a single game to a team that couldn't finish in the top 4. Finished manager.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Lol, the Wenger stans acting as if he didn't take a club that was finishing top of the league without dropping a single game to a team that couldn't finish in the top 4. Finished manager.
Instead of banging on about Wenger who left years ago you might be better off looking at who owns the club and how they run it.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
Instead of banging on about Wenger who left years ago you might be better off looking at who owns the club and how they run it.
Kroenke invests more than enough to win the league. If certain idiots hadn't bought Xhaka and Mustafi and then wasted money on Mkhitaryan and given Özil a 400k a week contract, we'd be top of the league. Wenger cost us 5 years with his senile decision making

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Kroenke invests more than enough to win the league. If certain idiots hadn't bought Xhaka and Mustafi and then wasted money on Mkhitaryan and given Özil a 400k a week contract, we'd be top of the league. Wenger cost us 5 years with his senile decision making

You're going a bit too hard on the sauce there, Heccy.

Wenger signed them yes, but he also signed Auba in his last few months as manager. He was also against renewing Özil.

The club has since broken our transfer record yet again, signed duds in Sokratis (left for free), Torreira (loaned, will be sold for a couple quid and a plate of Alfredo pasta to an Italian Club), Luiz (signed, renewed and might be renewed again), Guendouzi (frozen out), Saliba (frozen out), Willian (the less said the better), Lichsteiner (one last hurrah!) and Pepe (never fit in, will likely leave).

I'll keep the Gabriels, Mari, Leno and KT out of the above list because they've largely been good signings for what we paid for them, could argue for Cedric, but his wages are quite high.

That's pretty much a new XI worth of players there, along with Ceballos and Ødegaard who are on loan.

Stop blaming Wenger as the sole culprit for our atrocious squad building. We even had a chance to sell Sokratis in the summer but didn't.

Iceman10

Established Member
Actually I was Wenger in for most of his tenure. I think the biggest problem has always been ownership and not backing Wenger with finances. That said, I think most of us realised that this was not going to change anytime soon and that Wenger was close to retirement. Therefore, the board needed to find a replacement that could take over and do better within the constraints of the club.

What you are talking about is getting back into the CL after falling out of the Top 4. That is different from expectations of winning PL titles at that point. The pressure on Wenger started because a certain faction of fans were unrealistic and impatient win expectations for PL titles back around 2014 and that in my view affected Wenger’s job performance. Back in the late 1990s when the club transitioned with manager changes and player buys it was all done with much less volume from fans. None of the “geniuses” would have picked Wenger, and they would be unlikely to go with Bergkamp either, let alone Henry who looked a mess in Italy before he was transformed by Wenger.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal have got as much chance of being handed the title by Sp*rs as I have of being given the Crown Jewels. They are the last people we want winning the Championship. Now we mean to round off our season by beating Arsenal.

Alan Mullery (Sp*rs captain in 1971)

There is no way we were going to be beaten

Bertie Mee in the same game after beating Spurs and clinching the Double at White Hart Lane

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, May 21

Nuno Tavares will return to Arsenal after Nottingham Forest chose not to exercise the buy option in his loan deal [Nottingham Forest Official Site]

Benjamin Šeško’s agent confirms interest from English and Italian clubs, adding that he is not interested in moving to Saudi Arabia [Evening Standard]

Latest posts

Top Bottom