• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

GDeep™

League is very weak
I think its fair to point out that it is pretty disengenuous & biased to compare/cherry pick Wengers best young buys over a 10 - 20 year or more period with those of a manager who has been here 18 months. 😁
I wasn’t doing that though? We or I were not comparing young buys of Wenger/Arteta.

You don’t even know why you quoted me.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
I wasn’t doing that though? We or I were not comparing young buys of Wenger/Arteta.

You don’t even know why you quoted me.
Erm ok lol but You just listed loads of players from almost a 20 year period duh
So perhaps its you who needs to explain the point of your post rather? I await your response to show how its comparable to an 18 month Arteta period? 🤣

GDeep™

League is very weak
Yes All teams/managers are & have to be better prepared now
Its just that the level required to win the league is usually a lot better than in the days gone by.
Wenger won the league with 76 points. It was simple US v Man U
There were only 2 top managers in the league Wenger & Fergie.
Since Chelsea & Man City through billions at it all things changed.
Chelsea were picked up in 2003. That was only 6 years after Wenger came here. Liverpool hired Benitez and spent more than Wenger etc. So, no, for the bulk of his Arsenal career Wenger was competing with multiple top managers and multiple clubs better equipped and backed then his.

Wenger was getting top 4 despite being one of the lowest net spenders in the league. Over the last 3/4 years I think we are maybe top 3 net spenders in Europe.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
A lower points total to win the title can show a more competitive league imo.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Chelsea were picked up in 2003. That was only 6 years after Wenger came here. Liverpool hired Benitez and spent more than Wenger etc. So, no, for the bulk of his Arsenal career Wenger was competing with multiple top managers and multiple clubs better equipped and backed then his.

Wenger was getting top 4 despite being one of the lowest net spenders in the league. Over the last 3/4 years I think we are maybe top 3 net spenders in Europe.
Thats fair & there is no denying Wenger over achieved in that period & he did incredibly well to keep us at the levels he did.👍.
Unfortunately when he got good money to spend starting with Özil onwards he couldnt get us back to the top.

So it just shows it is not that easy, He was an experienced top manager but couldnt repeat his early highs.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Thats fair & there is no denying Wenger over achieved it that period & he did incredibly well to keep us at the levels he did.👍.
Unfortunately when he got money to spend starting with Özil onwards he couldnt get us back to the top.
I
Özil was phenomenal and the whole fan base, media, ex players pressured the club into extending him on a massive contract.

The only two expensive Wenger flops were Mustafi and Xhaka.

Reading this forum, it’s clear Wenger was a victim of his own success. Pound for pound, he’s probably had the least flops in the history of English football.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Some of you need to stop with the false and fake arguments. NOBODY has said play the kids this season. I and others have said DEVELOP them, after all that is why we spent 25M on Saliba. I have then said play them more after it became clear our season was one of mid table.

Looking ahead, with talk of extensions for El Neny and Luiz, I and others are again saying instead of extending those two bums why not dump them and use Saliba, Guendouzi etc? Isn’t that better for development? If not, then why did we spend 25M on a young CB?

All very reasonable and aimed towards giving others a chance and dumping guys that have given us two midtable finishes.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Özil was phenomenal and the whole fan base, media, ex players pressured the club into extending him on a massive contract.

The only two expensive Wenger flops were Mustafi and Xhaka.

Reading this forum, it’s clear Wenger was a victim of his own success. Pound for pound, he’s probably had the least flops in the history of English football.
Yes I think Arsène was a victim of his own success, He very harshly treated ,social media & platforms like AFTV are responsible for some of that. The guy is/was & always will be a legend. I still think it was time for him to move on though & he stayed a couple of years to long.

Özil Yeah but since his contract extension he was pretty poor under 3 managers!

Fair enough but perhaps similar to the auba situation. Massive clamour from the media/fans etc for him to extend.
We saw the best of Özil in his first spell & it may prove to be the same with auba unfortunately?

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Some of you need to stop with the false and fake arguments. NOBODY has said play the kids this season. I and others have said DEVELOP them, after all that is why we spent 25M on Saliba. I have then said play them more after it became clear our season was one of mid table.

Looking ahead, with talk of extensions for El Neny and Luiz, I and others are again saying instead of extending those two bums why not dump them and use Saliba, Guendouzi etc? Isn’t that better for development? If not, then why did we spend 25M on a young CB?

All very reasonable and aimed towards giving others a chance and dumping guys that have given us two midtable finishes.

Top posting.

Iceman10

Established Member

Same with Laca. Don’t extend, give opportunity to Martinelli, hopefully Balogun also, and buy a young player with a high ceiling on lower wages if necessary, e.g. Edouard.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Arteta don’t rate those young players.it’s clear as day he has given up on saliba, nketiah and nelson and don’t rate martinelli. Esr and salad are too good to ignore. But Arteta doesn’t strike me as a manager who is fan of youngsters. He said what he had to get the job

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Same with Laca. Don’t extend, give opportunity to Martinelli, hopefully Balogun also, and buy a young player with a high ceiling on lower wages if necessary, e.g. Edouard.
I think that is a very fair point, sometime you extend though to 'retain the asset' I doubt we will extend laca after doing the deal with auba.
We have been trying to extend Balogun but i simply dont think his agent wants to play ball. I totally understand why we dont play a kid who wont commit.

Interestingly the agency has quite a few young footballers. There has been talk of interest from abroad & i think he is perhaps pushing him down that route, 'selling him the sancho vibe' rather than keeping him here.

Far more chance of a big fee for the agent if he does that both now & if he succeeds & gets a deal back to the prem in a few years.
Maybe agent was miffed the sancho to Man U deal never happened in the summer & had already bought more 'flashy agent clothes, cars & Jewels on the commission in his head 🤣 .

If Balogun wants to stay at a club that has developed him since 7 he has to be strong & say to his agent (who works for him btw) do the deal I dont want to move, i wanna try & make it at arsenal.

Unscrupulous agents often take advantage though & steer players to do what is best for the agent.
I am not saying that is the case here but i would not be the least surprised if the agent wants the move far more than Balogun & is throwing shiny things before his eyes to try & persuade him to go abroad?

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Van Persie, Nasri, Ramsey, Ade, Walcott, Song, Clichy, Toure from the top off my head. All came here young and improved, and nearly all left for bigger clubs at big fees.

Thats not including Anelka, because of your daft argument, because technically EVERY signing is “poached”.

Then you got Wenger playing Iwobi who went for a big fee, Wenger giving playing Jack as a kid, Cole etc. I’m sure there are others I missed.

You’re not really going to argue Wenger didn’t sign young and cheap youth/younger players and improved them? Because there is a list who say they owe their career to him, including Henry.
Walcott, Ramsey were just terrible terrible players.

Ade could score some good goals but missed a lot of easy chances too.

Song...if you think of him as a DM, he was never defensively great like Ndidi, Kante, Mascherano, Flamini, Essen......he was rather slow, unagressive, and just not defensively focused. If you think of him as a DLP, he isn’t pinging long ball like Carrick, Kroos, Alonso.....As a CM, he is not capable technically like Fabregas, Cazorla.....He was just a very average player.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Arteta don’t rate those young players.it’s clear as day he has given up on saliba, nketiah and nelson and don’t rate martinelli. Esr and salad are too good to ignore. But Arteta doesn’t strike me as a manager who is fan of youngsters. He said what he had to get the job
A bit of salad does everyone good.

scytheavatar

Established Member

If these youngsters aren't going to make themselves too good to ignore then what rights do they have to complain about not getting played? Guys like Nketiah and Nelson cannot complain that they haven't been given chances by Arteta when they disappoint time and time again.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Liverpool have done better in the last 24 years than Arsenal have. 2 CL’s and a title beats 3 titles and domestic cups.
Only in your eyes, not mine. Pool have spend a shed load more money and won fewer Cl games, fewer Prem games, had lower Prem finishes, fewer Prem titles, fewer FA Cups, and no invincibles year during the Prem era.

Arsenal Quotes

What does Arsenal mean? It means class. The structure of the Club, everything has a classy feel about it. It isn't always about success, there is more than that and this is what makes it a cut above the rest.

Charlie Nicholas
Top Bottom