• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Manager Wish-List Thread

Who do you want?

• Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Antonio Conte

• Christophe Galtier

• Roberto Martinez

• Paulo Fonseca

• Gian Piero Gasperini

• Total voters

Jakarta

Give me something to get excited about

10 titles already won at River Plate and to think he’s only 43 years old.

Plays good football, and he’s been linked to a lot of European clubs.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Give me something to get excited about

10 titles already won at River Plate and to think he’s only 43 years old.

Plays good football, and he’s been linked to a lot of European clubs.

Completely forgot about him

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I find the calls for Ten Hag really weird given Arteta gets ripped for doing Pep like formations.

This guy does that to even greater extent. But

isop

He bought guys like Sokratis and Torreira, he did poorly.
I'm convinced Leno, Sokratis, Torreira, Guendouzi, Lichsteiner, Mavropanos were all solid signings at the time.

Mikhitaryan was a swap deal, and we were hoping he'd rediscover his Dortmund form. It didn't work out unfortunately. Mavropanos, another youth, is developing at a promising Stuttgart team. Torreira didn't work out, for various reasons, but he is still a quality player imo. Guendouzi needs to adjust his attitude and mature a bit, but while he was here he was a key player, he was even one of our leaders who could drive the team. Sokratis is a no-nonsense, quality, experienced defender, and he still is, as shown in our games against Olympiakos. He was unfairly bounced out by Arteta because of playing out from the back, but I'd still take him over Holding right now. Lichsteiner was a short term experienced back for Bellerin and was ok in that role while he was here. Leno is a very good keeper, there's a reason why we preferred him over Martinez who himself is quality.

I'm happy with the work Mislintat did. If you look at the quality of those players at their previous clubs (and by and large their performances for us), the signings were shrewd, well scouted, and at good prices, which is what Mislintat usually does.

We need more smart signings, paired with a good/very good manager like Favre or Ten Hag.

GoonerJay24

Watching Lille in Ligue 1 they play really nice football. They can control matches, structure their play with good combinations, everyone knows their job/role on the pitch, it's creative, pleasing on the eye, with passing options on the ball, good movement, and they are also defensively organized, its pretty good.

Galtier has done a very good job there, they were heading for relegation, he rescued them then took them into the top 4, and now he's three wins away from the title, if they can get over the line, in what has been a great title race in France involving 4 teams.

I heard on the Talksport Trans Euro Express show (great live radio/on demand podcast show by the way for insights into European and also South American football) that Galtier is traditionally a very gritty and defensive coach, but the Lille team I'm watching is more attacking than that. They said Bielsa almost ran this team into the ground. But I'm wondering if Bielsa's imprint is still there somehow.

As soon Bielsa he came in he basically did a clear out, some experienced guys and other players that didn't fit his style (e.g. the club captain and veteran Mavuba) were told to find new clubs, and he and Ocampos brought in some young, hungry, high stamina players that would fit in with Bielsa's approach, including our very own Nicolas Pepe. It didnt' work out for Bielsa, but the way they play right now, I'm wondering if the training that Bielsa sdid with them, the high pressing, high energy, run all day approach, excellent pass and move football has sort of been taken on by Galtier and refined with good defensive play as well.

Galtier is wanted by Lyon and Nice, and apparently he'd be open to a move. Lille are in financial trouble, and may need to sell off their talents to relieve debt, so maybe Galtier is thinking about how much longer he'll be able to keep them at the top if they have to asset strip the club. Nice's new owner is ambitious, the richest man in Britain, Radcliffe; they have a nice stadium and plans for the top. Lyon are one of the biggest clubs in France and can usually spend decent money and attract good players.

I considered Galtier as well, but when I heard on the Talksport Trans Euro Express that he was traditionally gritty and defensive, I was a bit more cautious. I don't want a situation like Monaco, where Jardim was usually a conservative manger, then he had a team with Bernardo Silva, Lemar, Fabinho, Mbappe, Bernard Mendy, Falcao, Bakayoko, Germain Sidibe etc all playing free-flowing, amazing football. The journalists asked him, what are you doing in training to make them play such great football, he said I don't know, I just let them play/express themselves, lol.

So maybe Galtier is like that, maybe the effect of Bielsa lingers on and he's allowing them to express themselves, taking advantage of Bielsa's training while adding good defensive and extra mentality, I don't know. Or maybe I'm doing him a disservice, but yeah, someone knowledgeable people on French football may be able to expand on it.
What's wrong with player's expressing themselves? That's exactly the type of coach Arsenal need

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
I'm convinced Leno, Sokratis, Torreira, Guendouzi, Lichsteiner, Mavropanos were all solid signings at the time.

Mikhitaryan was a swap deal, and we were hoping he'd rediscover his Dortmund form. It didn't work out unfortunately. Mavropanos, another youth, is developing at a promising Stuttgart team. Torreira didn't work out, for various reasons, but he is still a quality player imo. Guendouzi needs to adjust his attitude and mature a bit, but while he was here he was a key player, he was even one of our leaders who could drive the team. Sokratis is a no-nonsense, quality, experienced defender, and he still is, as shown in our games against Olympiakos. He was unfairly bounced out by Arteta because of playing out from the back, but I'd still take him over Holding right now. Lichsteiner was a short term experienced back for Bellerin and was ok in that role while he was here. Leno is a very good keeper, there's a reason why we preferred him over Martinez who himself is quality.

I'm happy with the work Mislintat did. If you look at the quality of those players at their previous clubs (and by and large their performances for us), the signings were shrewd, well scouted, and at good prices, which is what Mislintat usually does.

We need more smart signings, paired with a good/very good manager like Favre or Ten Hag.

Torreira isn’t a quality player first of all he’s mid table serie a quality at best.

My point is you’re telling me how they were hypothetically good signings but in actual reality none of them help us improve apart from maybe Leno. They were cheap uninspired signings.

isop

Torreira isn’t a quality player first of all he’s mid table serie a quality at best.

My point is you’re telling me how they were hypothetically good signings but in actual reality none of them help us improve apart from maybe Leno. They were cheap uninspired signings.
Guendouzi for example drove us forward with a spirited display in the North London Derby at the Emirates, he basically carried the team in that game and usually took responsibility, as a youngster. Emery basically made him the first name on the teamsheet, he was that important to the team, at the time.

Torreira is a better player than what he is showing right now. He needs regular game time to get back to his best form. The team that are at the top of La Liga, playing regular Champions League football, thought this midtable player as you say was good enough to join them. There's more to come from him, imo.

I think in general they did well/ok under Emery, but Guendouzi aside a better manager would have extracted even more out of them. Leno, Guendouzi, Torreira, Mavropanos are still contracted to us and still have potential, but we need the likes of Favre/Ten Hag to get the best out of them.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
There’s another Argentinian right now who looks interesting. Coudet at Celta Vigo.

When he took over they were bottom and sinking fast. He has them playing really exciting football and they’ve shot up the table.

Seems like a young Bielsa.

He's Argentinian?! This is the most Russian looking man i've ever seen, I've seen this exact haircut a thousand times on the marshrutka.

mqdefault.jpg

chacho.jpg

isop

What's wrong with player's expressing themselves? That's exactly the type of coach Arsenal need
Nothing wrong with expressing themselves unless the manager relies on that for attacking play without coaching combinations and some structured attacks. Some managers prefer to get quality players in and allow the attack to sort itself out.

It reminds me of Mourinho, where the Real Madrid players said in training he primarily focused on defensive drills, off the ball shape etc, and the attacking players were generally left to come up with attacking/counter attacking play themselves. It was almost too much freedom in attack, which showed how much of a defensive coach he was, not really coaching too much attacking play, allowing the attackers to get on with it. I mean, it can work to a degree with quality players who can autonomously do it, but eventually players will need some more guidance and quality coaching.

How many times over the years have we seen some Mourinho teams and other managers' teams look like they have no clue in attack, having run out of ideas, with the opposing team being comfortable in defence. Sometimes the coaching isn't giving them those ideas.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

He sounds interesting tbf, like he doesn't take himself as seriously as Arteta, understands football is just about attacking and having a go, not just about control.

Yeah not saying I’d even hire him now as he’s very raw but his teams play exciting football so so I’d keep an eye on him for the future.

There’s been some horror shows as well though so he seems Bielsa-esque where he can beat anyone but equally lose 4-0.

Arsenal Quotes

You weren’t world-class when Arsenal signed you

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom