• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Edu's Transfer Targets: Summer Holidays 2021

Which position would be your #1 priority to strengthen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
This guy gives a good summary of it, although I don't agree with what he says about Leno being a better ball-player than Martinez. Anyway the point is just cos these players want out doesn't mean they're gone, they could remain here just cos transfers for players on high wages are difficult to arrange. But generally there'll be a lot of movement this summer.

The idea of Leno leaving is a bit scary. I mean I don't care much for him, but he's a good enough keeper and i'm aware of how difficult it is to find a good keeper for a reasonable fee, let alone a really good keeper. Like this Onana guy had a great reputation, although he also had a reputation for making some howlers, plus he hasn't played football in ages. Might not be the Leno upgrade people assume? Idk.

Iceman10

Established Member
This guy gives a good summary of it, although I don't agree with what he says about Leno being a better ball-player than Martinez. Anyway the point is just cos these players want out doesn't mean they're gone, they could remain here just cos transfers for players on high wages are difficult to arrange. But generally there'll be a lot of movement this summer.

The idea of Leno leaving is a bit scary. I mean I don't care much for him, but he's a good enough keeper and i'm aware of how difficult it is to find a good keeper for a reasonable fee, let alone a really good keeper. Like this Onana guy had a great reputation, although he also had a reputation for making some howlers, plus he hasn't played football in ages. Might not be the Leno upgrade people assume? Idk.

I don't feel that worried about Leno. If we want a top world class GK we would need to spend 50m+. If we want to replace for Leno's level with no drop off in performance I don't think it is that much of an emergency, and even Mat Rysn could be a stop gap. Leno is a high level shot stopper, but he is constantly making me uneasy nowadays with his distribution and passing around the backline, his parrying can sometimes be iffy, and he has errors in him.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I don't feel that worried about Leno. If we want a top world class GK we would need to spend 50m+. If we want to replace for Leno's level with no drop off in performance I don't think it is that much of an emergency, and even Mat Rysn could be a stop gap. Leno is a high level shot stopper, but he is constantly making me uneasy nowadays with his distribution and passing around the backline, his parrying can sometimes be iffy, and he has errors in him.

May Ryan isn't Leno, though. We like him now, but that's just cos he's not made a mistake yet. I think it would be harder to replace Leno than you assume, who out there is as good or better than him that you can buy for a reasonable price? Onana might be the only reasonable one, and it's far from certain that he's better than Leno.

Iceman10

Established Member
May Ryan isn't Leno, though. We like him now, but that's just cos he's not made a mistake yet. I think it would be harder to replace Leno than you assume, who out there is as good or better than him that you can buy for a reasonable price? Onana might be the only reasonable one, and it's far from certain that he's better than Leno.
I'm slightly going on what I've seen with Chelsea. Their GK situation has been a mess, but it has settled down now with an unspectacular keeper while most fixes were ahead of him on the pitch. I think that likely is good enough for us also in getting back to Top 6 / Top 4 for now, so we could replace with solid average-ish for now while taking a bit more time looking for a special buy (GK).

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Maybe I'm just out of the loop but is £30m that excessive for a Buendia / Toney in this day and age? Seems about par for a good player to me.

I wouldn't overly worry about the selling club inflating the prices too much above that either. If you play for Norwich or Brentford and a club the size of Arsenal comes calling for you, you make sure you get the move from your current club.

benjamin86

Established Member
Leno is a decent premiership keeper but I wouldn't rate him much higher. Areola, Sanchez and Johnstone have all been fairly similar in their performances and I think they've made less errors?

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

@Troopz you still think right back is not among the top 2 must buy?

People are making a big deal out of the position as I said I wouldn’t spend 35m - 50m on a RB like you lot did with AWB.

We can get a similar player to Bacary Sagna or Ivanovic for a minimal fee and they’ll be able to do a solid job defensively.

Use the majority of the funds on a midfielder that will help us control games.

Bloodbather

Established Member

Mike Maignan (of Lille) would be the best target if Leno leaves. Already has chemistry with Gabriel, too.

UnitedBeard

An annoying Manc
People are making a big deal out of the position as I said I wouldn’t spend 35m - 50m on a RB like you lot did with AWB.

We can get a similar player to Bacary Sagna or Ivanovic for a minimal fee and they’ll be able to do a solid job defensively.

Use the majority of the funds on a midfielder that will help us control games.
We have McFred and we are 2nd. Sometime it depends on how the manager wants to play not what you want because Arteta is the manager not you :)

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

We have McFred and we are 2nd.

Man Utd are a different case.

You lot have better players in different positions across the pitch. An example is Bruno vs Ødegaard is a non contest.

One is a top class player and the other a virgin.

UnitedBeard

An annoying Manc
Man Utd are a different case.

You lot have better players in different positions across the pitch. An example is Bruno vs Ødegaard is a non contest.

One is a top class player and the other a virgin.

That’s why I said ‘’top 2’’ not no 1.

When discussing about transfer, I always focus on what benefits the manager’s system. In Arteta’s case, it’s pretty obvious how he wants to play. 35m for 10 years plus long term right back is a very good investment.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
That’s why I said ‘’top 2’’ not no 1.

When discussing about transfer, I always focus on what benefits the manager’s system. In Arteta’s case, it’s pretty obvious how he wants to play. 35m for 10 years plus long term right back is a very good investment.

Hakimi?

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

This is so happening lmao. Villa have slapped a price on his head. It'll end up being done for £60M + add ons.

To add to that City are out the race as they believe its too expensive for a player that they're already stacked with position wise.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
80M for Most exciting playmaker in PL. do it Kroenke he worth it unlike when crystal Palace when they asked 80m for Zaha.

I have a feeling.

City won't pay it.
United are after Sancho.
Chelsea don't need him.
Liverpool can't afford him.
Sp**s can't afford him.

Granted the only way we afford him is if this £200M "warchest" comes to fruition. However how the **** else are you going to spend 200M?! Especially when our other targets aren't any more than £50M...

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
I have a feeling.

City won't pay it.
United are after Sancho.
Chelsea don't need him.
Liverpool can't afford him.
Sp**s can't afford him.

Granted the only way we afford him is if this £200M "warchest" comes to fruition. However how the **** else are you going to spend 200M?! Especially when our other targets aren't any more than £50M...
Manutd signing Sancho City can easily buy him but they more focused on signing striker same with chelsea Sp**s are not bigger than villa. we have big chance if we want him but that depend on Kroenke we can't pay that without him investing money

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Manutd signing Sancho City can easily buy him but they more focused on signing striker same with chelsea Sp**s are not bigger than villa. we have big chance if we want him but that depend on Kroenke we can't pay that without him investing money

Yep, the main sticking point is KSE investing otherwise we can only sign Grealish' left big toe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I often relive those 49 undefeated matches. I do believe in signs to a certain extent, and as I was born in 1949, I sometimes tell myself it was our destiny to lose the 50th. Those 49 matches are etched within me and within each player: it is something fundamental, a triumph born out of passion.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom