• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nuno Tavares: The False #3

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

He's actually very two footed.

Offensively he's already streets ahead of Tierney from the little I have seen, it's no secret I've never rated Tierney in this regard. I think question marks defensively are reasonable reservations to have, Tierney is still the man overall.

Tierney LCB and Tavares wingback wouldn't be a disaster if we ever had to resort to 3 at the back again.

Streets ahead of Tierney offensively? That's a massive stretch just because this guy does stepovers and a Ronaldo chop. Tierney has one of the best crosses in league, let alone his decision making is spot on as well.

Also beats his man plenty with his acceleration.

Unless you mean something else?

mirrorstare

Okayish preseason so far, slightly better than expected I guess.

Still not seeing it, at wing back or wherever. Early days though

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Streets ahead of Tierney offensively? That's a massive stretch just because this guy does stepovers and a Ronaldo chop. Tierney has one of the best crosses in league, let alone his decision making is spot on as well.

Also beats his man plenty with his acceleration.

Unless you mean something else?
Tierney is mostly cross. I've this guy dribble the ball off the pitch and lump the ball to nobody numerous times and watch AM say nothing.

Tierney has pace and power but I have never rated him offensively. I rate him for other stuff.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

Offensively he's already streets ahead of Tierney from the little I have seen, it's no secret I've never rated Tierney in this regard. I think question marks defensively are reasonable reservations to have, Tierney is still the man overall.

Tierney LCB and Tavares wingback wouldn't be a disaster if we ever had to resort to 3 at the back again.

Streets ahead of Tierney is a bit of reach, even today alone Kieran was getting past his man and putting in good crosses.

ESR and Tierney definitely on the feud list for Macho :lol:

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Tierney is mostly cross. I've this guy dribble the ball off the pitch and lump the ball to nobody numerous times and watch AM say nothing.

Tierney has pace and power but I have never rated him offensively. I rate him for other stuff.

Hmmm, not convinced. I mean we'd need to see more but Tierney's crossing and decision-making makes him a better offensive weapon for me. Too early to judge Taveres.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Hmmm, not convinced. I mean we'd need to see more but Tierney's crossing and decision-making makes him a better offensive weapon for me. Too early to judge Taveres.
I am not saying Tavares is better, he's not and he has a lot of question marks.

Stuff like technique you don't need to see hours of footage to see if a player has it, which Tavares has - he's good on the ball with both feet. Tierney to me has always been a kick and run player.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

I am not saying Tavares is better, he's not and he has a lot of question marks.

Stuff like technique you don't need to see hours of footage to see if a player has it, which Tavares has - he's good on the ball with both feet. Tierney to me has always been a kick and run player.

I know what you mean, but it's down to whose more effective really and regardless of technique Tierney seems to be really effective since he constantly puts balls on a plate.

I didn't really rate Tavares technique when I watched him vs Watford, seemed as if it took him a while to control the ball. Wasn't paying too much attention to him today.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

I know what you mean, but it's down to whose more effective really and regardless of technique Tierney seems to be really effective since he constantly puts balls on a plate.
I don't think Tierney has much to worry about, he's still the man. Tavares having one or two attributes where he is superior to Tierney wouldn't shock me though.

Atleast we aren't bricking ourselves if Tierney is out like last season.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Tierney is good technically, it's because he looks kinda weird when he dribbles more than anything, but he's a good footballer.

His goal v West Brom last season was brilliant, plus his long pass to Auba in the cup was perfect... he's had plenty of moments like this.

People only think he isn't a quality player, because he carries a Tesco bag...shame really, Agenda-,Mania and all that.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Streets ahead of Tierney is a bit of reach, even today alone Kieran was getting past his man and putting in good crosses.

ESR and Tierney definitely on the feud list for Macho :lol:
DIdnt think ESR or KT were great today tbf but its pre season ffs they are both really important players who we should be building round along with Saks, both Gabriels. Partey etc.
Maybe its just that the Macho man has more of a 'ting' for young black dudes 😜

Tavares looks to be a decent addition though, certainly if he can get his defensive qualities up to spec.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

'Resorting' to 3 at the back makes it sound like it's a bad thing. Whether you play 4231 or 343/352 it is the manager who determines how many players we commit forward.

When we press, we press in a 3 4 1 2. The problem is we don't actually have the players in their correct positions.

--------------Auba------------Laca
-----------------------ESR
Tierney---Elneny---Partey----Pepe
-----Mari----Holding----Chambers

That is how we line up to press. Why not play players in that system who can actually do their job with and without the ball, so you don't get exposed. Look at how slow that back line is. It is why Saliba going on loan is so pointless. We don't have the players to play 2 at the back, yet we had players who could play in a 3. Young players we could hide in a 3 also.

White-----Gabriel-----Tierney

That would probably be our most rounded 3. I don't think White can play central in a 3. He isn't good enough in the air. Gabriel has shown he can do the role and being backed either side with players who are comfortable in wide areas makes sense.

AMN and Saka would be my wing backs. Chambers and Tavares the back ups.

Then in midfield you have a double pivot that doesn't move. Lokonga and Partey for me.

Then it depends on who we are playing to determine the front 3. Whether it's a 2 1 or 1 2.

Whether we need one 10 or 2. Suddenly we don't need an am.

If I am honest the downfall of our season will be depending on the senior players who just wont perform.

Aubameyang, Laca and Xhaka.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

'Resorting' to 3 at the back makes it sound like it's a bad thing. Whether you play 4231 or 343/352 it is the manager who determines how many players we commit forward.
If you ask the fanbase, they would say it is - but wasn't my intention and I agree with your write up.

Fwiw, I feel like Arteta was on the money when he played those formations early in his tenure and played on the counter, those are the players we have.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Tavares looks to be a decent addition though, certainly if he can get his defensive qualities up to spec.
I think he will be too, he is not known for his defensive qualities so me suspecting his strengths lie in going forward isn't that outlandish. I see several in the thread come to a similar conclusion to me.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
If you ask the fanbase, they would say it is - but wasn't my intention and I agree with your write up.

Fwiw, I feel like Arteta was on the money when he played those formations early in his tenure and played on the counter, those are the players we have.
Not so much in the way he used Tierney as a lcb moving into a lb. I like Tierney, but I think his offensive ability and ability to recover are overrated. I feel he is more useful deeper and in build up. Tavares also has recovery speed over him. Tierney at LCB and Saka as the lwb would allow Saka to move really high up the pitch. Tierney can cross from deep. So if you play Saka lwb and ESR in front of him on the left, essentially when we attack we look like this:

-----------------Gabriel
-------White---------------Tierney
-----------Partey----Lokonga

AMN------------ESR-------------Saka
-----------Pepe----------Auba

Depending on who you deploy the make up of the front 5 can change. Ideally you want Martinez instead of Auba and you have a front line with 3 players who can drop into the 10.

Pepe----Martinez----ESR

Imagine we brought in a really offensive rwb.

Arsenal Quotes

I've got the best goalkeeper and the best centre half. All I need are the best wingers and the best forward. It doesnt matter what the rest are like.

Herbert Chapman
Top Bottom