• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Cody Gakpo

Bloodbather

Established Member

I haven't seen this lad play but his YouTube highlights are mouth watering. Can't help but think of Thierry Henry, as unfair that comparison might be.

Maybe get him and make Gabi our CF instead?

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Some of this guy’s natural ability is scary. If he can adapt to the prem it’s scary hours.
So you were in the Darwin Nunez thread complaining about technical ability. Gakpo has literally done nothing in this game. Hasn't beaten his man once. Meanwhile on the other side, there is an England under 21 winger beating 3 players on multiple occasions throughout the game.

Gakpo doesn't defend. He doesn't contest headers, he can't go on the outside and what strikes me most is that he is slow.

Touch touch, cut inside look for a shot, no shot, pass to the right and then jog around. Never seems to be available on the counter either. Too busy jogging.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

So you were in the Darwin Nunez thread complaining about technical ability. Gakpo has literally done nothing in this game. Hasn't beaten his man once. Meanwhile on the other side, there is an England under 21 winger beating 3 players on multiple occasions throughout the game.

Gakpo doesn't defend. He doesn't contest headers, he can't go on the outside and what strikes me most is that he is slow.

Touch touch, cut inside look for a shot, no shot, pass to the right and then jog around. Never seems to be available on the counter either. Too busy jogging.
He is a wide forward. And a productive one. When you ply 4-2-3-1 your wide men can’t be out an out wingers. They need to be scorers. He has that over Maduke who is still very young and need to stay in psv

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He is a wide forward. And a productive one. When you ply 4-2-3-1 your wide men can’t be out an out wingers. They need to be scorers. He has that over Maduke who is still very young and need to stay in psv
What does being a wide forward have to do with anything? Did you even watch the game? I am telling you he did absolutely nothing. Darwin Nunez scored against Liverpool, yet people will go off YouTube compilations in the Netherlands thinking Gakpo is some technical genius. He seems to be another Depay and Bergwijn and my word is he slow.

The fact he just signed a contract to bump up his fee even more is also ridiculous.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster

Disclaimer that I've only watched Nunez live twice, and never Gakpo, so this is YouTube chat... But that out of the way -

Yeah, the weird thing is that I don't think Nunez looks that bad technically and others on here have said the same... And Gakpo in my eyes has quite a similar play style and attributes to Nunez. I saw quite a lot of sloppy first touches as well as his pace and strength. Finishing didn't look particularly special to me either (compared to Vlahovic for example).

I'm not knocking Gakpo particularly, just find it interesting how we see different things from the same footage.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Disclaimer that I've only watched Nunez live twice, and never Gakpo, so this is YouTube chat... But that out of the way -

Yeah, the weird thing is that I don't think Nunez looks that bad technically and others on here have said the same... And Gakpo in my eyes has quite a similar play style and attributes to Nunez. I saw quite a lot of sloppy first touches as well as his pace and strength. Finishing didn't look particularly special to me either (compared to Vlahovic for example).

I'm not knocking Gakpo particularly, just find it interesting how we see different things from the same footage.
Gapko doesn't compete in the air at all. There is no way he can play as CF. People are just looking at his height and nostalgia towards Henry.

He jogs all match. There is no intensity to his game at all. This was vs Premier league opposition and the only player who looked like they belonged was Sangare.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Me saying a player has bags of natural ability doesn’t mean he has to do something in the next game.

I’m just going off his highlights, he pulls off some touches and dribbles that Nunez will simply never do.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Me saying a player has bags of natural ability doesn’t mean he has to do something in the next game.

I’m just going off his highlights, he pulls off some touches and dribbles that Nunez will simply never do.

What’s @OnlyOne saying?

• Funny
Reactions: A_G

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

What’s @OnlyOne saying?
To paraphrase: "He didn't do much but still looked assured in the game which is okay against PL opposition in a one-off game. Playmaker is being very harsh, can't expect a player to be dangerous every game."

I'm (Trilly) yet to watch him live though but I stand by my point, you only need to watch one youtube clip to see that the boy is talented as hell. Main thing I try to look out is how tight their first touch/dribbling is to account for the reduced space in the PL and he looks good in that regard whereas certain Benfica strikers are having their first touch bounce 5m off their foot at all times.

ANyway it's not Gakpo or Nunez. Realistically we need two forwards this summer.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I don't think it's necessary to be so vitriolic towards Gakpo off watching a single game of his just to defend Darwin Nuñez mate @The_Playmaker
Did you watch the game?

Leicester gave up space. He had the ball in dangerous positions throughout the game and did nothing with it. You can take the stance that he didn't have a good game offensively and had an off day, but what about off the ball?

He doesn't challenge headers, he doesn't press, he is non existent intensity wise. Also, if anyone paid attention to the lattefirm breakdown, he has been struggling with an ankle injury for a long time and doesn't finish matches very often. But yeah, he looks good on YouTube.

Bloodbather

Established Member

Did you watch the game?

Leicester gave up space. He had the ball in dangerous positions throughout the game and did nothing with it. You can take the stance that he didn't have a good game offensively and had an off day, but what about off the ball?

He doesn't challenge headers, he doesn't press, he is non existent intensity wise. Also, if anyone paid attention to the lattefirm breakdown, he has been struggling with an ankle injury for a long time and doesn't finish matches very often. But yeah, he looks good on YouTube.
I didn't watch the game and I'll take your word for it, but I feel that you're going overboard and being unnecessarily harsh on him because you want to argue against the Gakpo > Nuñez line.

Him struggling with an ankle injury should be reason for you not to be so quick to dismiss him off this one game, for example.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Did you watch the game?

Not sure winning headers is integral for a CF nowadays. The intensity bit is though.

This guy does look like he has elite ball striking though, which I do think is something we are lacking. But the question is, is he a Podolski type (no intensity) or Gnabry type? That's where you have to judge Arteta's judgment.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

I didn't watch the game and I'll take your word for it, but I feel that you're going overboard and being unnecessarily harsh on him because you want to argue against the Gakpo > Nuñez line.

Him struggling with an ankle injury should be reason for you not to be so quick to dismiss him off this one game, for example.
He's almost personally offended that some of us rate Gakpo's talent (Nobody has said we should sign him ahead of Nunez or that Gakpo will definitely be a prem success) ahead of Nunez.

In addition to that he insists we can coach out Darwin's technical deficiencies (very difficult to do) but lists stuff like Gakpo not being intense or pressing well as something that will stick with the player forever. Really baffling overreaction.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He's almost personally offended that some of us rate Gakpo's talent (Nobody has said we should sign him ahead of Nunez or that Gakpo will definitely be a prem success) ahead of Nunez.

In addition to that he insists we can coach out Darwin's technical deficiencies (very difficult to do) but lists stuff like Gakpo not being intense or pressing well as something that will stick with the player forever. Really baffling overreaction.

Every footballer is talented. I am not questioning that he has talent. He can strike a ball really well. He can dribble and he is tall. He looks really good on YouTube, but so did Pepe.

I saw Pepe on YouTube and really wanted him. Then I watched one full match of his vs PSG and I literally thought he wouldn't work out. The hype and price tag brought me back but over time it is pretty clear he has deficiencies in his game that he doesn't have the attitude to iron out. He has been here how long and still has communication issues? That's not a serious player.

Now Gakpo is doing interviews with British newspapers talking about Arsenal. If you are going to play vs English opposition and team that both Martinelli and ESR have ran rings around this season then you better turn up. If you have an off day, fine, but the soft factors matter.

You cannot judge a players performance off one game. He was ineffective. It doesn't mean he isn't talented. However you can judge factors like, does he go into physical challenges? Does he work hard defensively? I'm not being harsh on that aspect at all. He made Pepe look like he has Martinellis work rate. That's how slow and lethargic Gakpo appears to be.

I'm not sure why you make such a big deal about Darwin's supposed technical deficiencies. His touch isn't any worse than Vlahovic's.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Every footballer is talented. I am not questioning that he has talent. He can strike a ball really well. He can dribble and he is tall. He looks really good on YouTube, but so did Pepe.

I saw Pepe on YouTube and really wanted him. Then I watched one full match of his vs PSG and I literally thought he wouldn't work out. The hype and price tag brought me back but over time it is pretty clear he has deficiencies in his game that he doesn't have the attitude to iron out. He has been here how long and still has communication issues? That's not a serious player.

Now Gakpo is doing interviews with British newspapers talking about Arsenal. If you are going to play vs English opposition and team that both Martinelli and ESR have ran rings around this season then you better turn up. If you have an off day, fine, but the soft factors matter.

You cannot judge a players performance off one game. He was ineffective. It doesn't mean he isn't talented. However you can judge factors like, does he go into physical challenges? Does he work hard defensively? I'm not being harsh on that aspect at all. He made Pepe look like he has Martinellis work rate. That's how slow and lethargic Gakpo appears to be.

I'm not sure why you make such a big deal about Darwin's supposed technical deficiencies. His touch isn't any worse than Vlahovic's.

Did you ever see Messi or Ronaldo pressing at their peak? Often teams allow their most talented attacker to conserve energy when defending so they are fresher in attacking situations, and avoid physical challenges so they don't get injured. Maybe this is an instruction from the PSV manager as opposed to a flaw in the player... As you say you can't make assumptions off one game.

Arsenal Quotes

The coach's role is to make the player understand everything that serves the interest of the game. To do this he must speak to the child within each player, to the adolescent he was and the adult he is now. Too often a coach tends only to speak to the adult, issuing commands for performance, for victory, for reflection, to the detriment of the child who is playing for pleasure, living in the present.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom