• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Thanks! What did I miss? Not doom & gloom on AM I hope, would never want to miss that for sure!

Looks like we are still 4th in the league.

Great results and performances also in the past two games, but I wasn't too worried after the Southampton game still because the playing was pretty good despite the result and the injuries.

@Trilly Is Arteta a cheque book manager if he gets us 4th on our run-in without having had Partey, Tierney, Tomiyasu and Lacazette playing much at the end of the season?
I only respond to mentions from people who have earned my respect. You ran off the forum when the going got tough, would you respect you in my shoes?

P.s. you would know the answer to your question if had stuck around. Believe it or not, I don’t have agendas.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Xavi has been there since November. Arteta has been at his job since Dec 2019. Arteta took over a team that finished 5th. 3 years later and 200 million if he finish 5th he will get credit. No manager for a big club has ever given as much leeway and patient

The point in bold, although factually correct, is a bit disingenuous. Let's not pretend that the first half of 19/20 under Emery was anything other than a disaster, Arteta picked up an underperforming team with what seemed from thr outside looking in, a broken dressing room. We did also win the cup that season.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

The point in bold, although factually correct, is a bit disingenuous. Let's not pretend that the first half of 19/20 under Emery was anything other than a disaster, Arteta picked up an underperforming team with what seemed from thr outside looking in, a broken dressing room. We did also win the cup that season.
If Emery’s first half of that season was disaster and the team was underachieving. Why did Arteta straight away start to downplay the teams level? Arsenal was 8th when Emery was sacked. 1 point of 5th. Arteta finished 8th that season and the season after. So if Emery after 13 games was 8th means disaster. Arteta after 60 league games took us to 8th. So if Emery was underachieving, then Arteta did it even worse

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I only respond to mentions from people who have earned my respect. You ran off the forum when the going got tough, would you respect you in my shoes?

P.s. you would know the answer to your question if had stuck around. Believe it or not, I don’t have agendas.
It depends on how you see things. My stance, which I have stated long time ago, is that I won't be here a lot if things go wrong. This forum is unbearable at that point. It's so pessimistic and full of whining even when things go well.

Besides, it made no sense to have circular arguments with you guys anyway (I don't have the energy or time for it always, shocking isn't it?), when I now have clear proof of what I saw even in those games. That Palace game was not so good, but other games we had good performances especially considering the injuries.

Non-Penalty xG difference was top 4 level even in those losses, some of which were unlucky. Even against Palace it was, which surprised me a bit. For example Forster made many huge saves.

FRSZlJHVsAAx6Ws

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
If Emery’s first half of that season was disaster and the team was underachieving. Why did Arteta straight away start to downplay the teams level? Arsenal was 8th when Emery was sacked. 1 point of 5th. Arteta finished 8th that season and the season after. So if Emery after 13 games was 8th means disaster. Arteta after 60 league games took us to 8th. So if Emery was underachieving, then Arteta did it even worse

I agree we could have seen more progress faster under Arteta, maybe this seasons form last season, but this narrative that he came in and took a functioning set of players because of the season priors 5th placed finish is a myth.

Wasn't on here at the time but I can only imagine the feeling after some of the results and performances (and general vibe of the players) at the end of the Emery reign.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I agree we could have seen more progress faster under Arteta, maybe this seasons form last season, but this narrative that he came in and took a functioning set of players because of the season priors 5th placed finish is a myth.

Wasn't on here at the time but I can only imagine the feeling after some of the results and performances (and general vibe of the players) at the end of the Emery reign.
My point is Arteta is very lucky manager. First he was lucky to get the job with zero experience. Secondly he was lucky he wasn’t sacked last season. He may end up being hood manager and even successful. It doesn’t change those two things. I really can’t think of a manager who had as bad of a run as Arteta did at some point last season and kept their job. The past is the past though

The only reason I keep responding to it is his fans keep changing the narrative and lying about how bad things were when he took over

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
My point is Arteta is very lucky manager. First he was lucky to get the job with zero experience. Secondly he was lucky he wasn’t sacked last season. He may end up being hood manager and even successful. It doesn’t change those two things. I really can’t think of a manager who had as bad of a run as Arteta did at some point last season and kept their job. The past is the past though

The only reason I keep responding to it is his fans keep changing the narrative and lying about how bad things were when he took over

Agree he's been lucky, especially with no fans in the stadium for the bad run in 20/21.

Fair enough, I respect your opinion but do think the club were in a bad state when he took over, and I think most people in football could see that.

drippin

It's a bit misleading to say this like you say. Arsenal was 11th when Arteta took over and got us an FA Cup win. You forgot to mention Ljungberg costing us games in between.

And the biggest reason why Emery was sacked was that he lost the dressing room. Arteta has never lost the dressing room, even in difficult times.

"When Arteta took over in December 2019, the club was in disarray.

Arsenal were 11th in the table with a squad of underperforming players who had lost their identity, an enormous wage bill, and volatile backroom who seemed to be on a revolving door in and out of the club.

Arsenal’s situation was bleak, and the Covid-19 pandemic 15 games into Arteta’s reign did not help matters.

Arsenal ended the 2019/20 season in eighth, but beating Manchester City and Chelsea en route to lifting the FA Cup was a real high point in a period of struggles."

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It's a bit misleading to say this like you say. Arsenal was 11th when Arteta took over and got us an FA Cup win.

And the biggest reason why Emery was sacked was that he lost the dressing room. Arteta has never lost the dressing room, even in difficult times.

Arsenal were 11th in the table with a squad of underperforming players who had lost their identity, an enormous wage bill, and volatile backroom who seemed to be on a revolving door in and out of the club.

Arsenal’s situation was bleak, and the Covid-19 pandemic 15 games into Arteta’s reign did not help matters.

Arsenal ended the 2019/20 season in eighth, but beating Manchester City and Chelsea en route to lifting the FA Cup was a real high point in a period of struggles."

The point about Arteta never loosing the dressing room is important I think. Some will probably rightfully say that anyone he disagrees with is out of the door (Auba/Özil ect), but isn't that what most successful managers do?

I'm in no way comparing Arteta to any of these guys, but look at the players Fergie/Pep/Mourinho ect hounded out of their clubs. Maybe that side of Arteta should be seen as a strength of his?

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Next 5 games are massive for the Arteta outers vs inners on here.

Get top 4, and in 3 years he's won a trophy, got Arsenal back into the CL and built one of the youngest and most exciting squads around.

Fail to finish in the top 4 and he's been here for 3 years, spent over 200m, come 8th twice and returned Arsenal to the competition we were in when he initially took over.

Feels like the last few years of AM has been building up to this...

drippin

The point about Arteta never loosing the dressing room is important I think. Some will probably rightfully say that anyone he disagrees with is out of the door (Auba/Özil ect), but isn't that what most successful managers do?

I'm in no way comparing Arteta to any of these guys, but look at the players Fergie/Pep/Mourinho ect hounded out of their clubs. Maybe that side of Arteta should be seen as a strength of his?
Yeah, it's actually quite astonishing feat to not lose dressing room while having trouble with the star players. And getting through very tough patches of results and performances.

It seems the players (not the ones who get into trouble in mysterious ways) understand Arteta's coaching, vision and potential.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

It's a bit misleading to say this like you say. Arsenal was 11th when Arteta took over and got us an FA Cup win. You forgot to mention Ljungberg costing us games in between.

But then why hire Arteta. When your club is in such a mess and you have so many problems. Why would you say I think we need a guy who never managed before to fix this mess. Logically there was no reason he should have even been considered for the job. Hence why I say he is very lucky manager

drippin

But then why hire Arteta. When your club is in such a mess and you have so many problems. Why would you say I think we need a guy who never managed before to fix this mess. Logically there was no reason he should have even been considered for the job. Hence why I say he is very lucky manager
Well, not every manager wants to come and clean the mess we were in. United who have a lot more money than us, also got Ole who didn't have exactly the best resume.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Well, not every manager wants to come and clean the mess we were in. United who have a lot more money than us, also got Ole who didn't have exactly the best resume.
Well both United and us are badly run clubs run mostly by none footballing people

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I will say even though I quite like Arteta and want him to stay and do well I still think he was the wrong appointment, just too risky.

It's taken 2 years or so to get us to the position where we are looking on the up ( to whatever degree). It's not really even his fault, it's the nature of being a novice manager you're going to make mistakes. The well laid plans you've thought out often don't translate to reality. Man management is a skill that generally has to be honed and developed over time. It's not simple dealing with a group of guys with different personality profiles.

Even if Arteta does a good job, gets us competitive for titles, maybe wins a few cups along the way, when he leaves no sane person would be saying lets appoint another manager with zero experience because Arteta worked out. If Arteta is successful with us he's a major anomaly, not the norm.

It's was such a risky appointment and I can't even put it down as a clever appointment by the board even if it works out because I don't believe for the most part they're intelligent football minds.

Arsenal Quotes

Young players need freedom of expression to develop as creative players... they should be encouraged to try skills without fear of failure.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom