• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Lionelson

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I was surprised when he came on, fully expected Arteta to bring on Nketiah instead. While I'm happy for him, I think it'll be a steep hill for him to make it at Arsenal.

I'd love to be proven wrong.
I assume that at this point (when Saka was out) he realized the need to get the better attackers have more rest. And he has likely seen something in Nelson in training recently. So he wanted to get some sharpness and chances for Nelson to prove himself, because otherwise we will lack depth.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Glad Reiss put in a good performance, to be honest it's been years in the making. I remember seeing him on his debut and thought wow, he's a player. Technical, pace, intelligence. He was the best in our crop of youngsters in his year, I really hope he grows a pair, owns his talent grasp this opportunity with both feet.

Let's play Aubamawang

Good for you, Reiss.

Being an ardent fan, I was delighted listening to him scoring on arsenal.com. Yes, it was only Forest. But we have been embarrassed by them before due to not respecting them. They did well to keep it at 1-0 until half time. Then Reiss showed the composure we needed in front of goal to settle the contest and boost our goal difference.

Keep going, lad. Me and @MutableEarth have your back!

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Should guarantee him at least two starts this month against Zurich and Brighton in the cups. Hope being dropped for Saka, if fit, doesn’t knock his confidence.

Needs to use these next couple of games to show Arteta he is the man to ease the burden of any potential World Cup hangovers for Saka and Martinelli.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

One hopes Nelson's performance gives us a bit more perspective and humility. Knowing that it is not correct to write off our rotation players, because we dont like what they are doing when we see them play.

We all have no idea of what's going on behind the scenes, yet we want to confidently speak about players and whether they are finished or not.

A lot of you look like fools today after being completely dogwalked by Xhaka, these streets never forgot you. Have opinions by all means, but dont make yourselves look stupid by boldly "speaking facts".

Eddie too, people have given up on him again all of a sudden and it was not so long ago he playing really well even in his PL cameos.

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard
The hope is that he can build up the necessary confidence. This should be the trigger for him to start realising he has the talent, he just needs to play like it, like he means it.

Was being greedy and hoping for a hattrick but this will do. He was clinical today and used the ball intelligently throughout the game. There's still levels way above this that he can reach. More confidence and conviction in his dribbling, demanding the ball more. I've said years ago that his best games come when he has lots of touches of the ball. He had 50 touches today. Once he feels his way into a game, his challenge is to stay in it and stay demanding the ball.

Huge day for him, but there's more days like this for him if he continues.
Oh yes... Totallly agree. Sooo happy for him but I still feel he was playing with his foot off the gas. I don't even think he reached 3rd gear. He has that potential to dominate a game in a similar way Jesus can. He coasted that game and got 2 goals and an assist. Imagine what he can do if he really got into gear and was fully fit. The club are all rooting for him and this was expressed in Arteta's post match interview. He should start this week in the Europa league so hoepfully his form continues...

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
Bloke needs to stop playing it safe, get out there, take risks, sauce people up. Then, when he makes a huge **** up and everyone's pissed at him he needs to keep doing it.

That Guardiola line about learning to play football with courage is so important imo, and particularly pertinent with this player
Extremely important.

I’d much rather he loses the ball trying something he feels he can go for than just playing a safe pass because it looks better on a stats sheet. He was always a risk taker in youth football from memory.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Bloke needs to stop playing it safe, get out there, take risks, sauce people up. Then, when he makes a huge **** up and everyone's pissed at him he needs to keep doing it.

That Guardiola line about learning to play football with courage is so important imo, and particularly pertinent with this player
There's a scene in this Messi documentary on Netflix (more about Guardiola and Barça than Messi, honestly, but whatever) that I absolutely love. Valdés tells us about how upon taking over the team Guardiola meets with Valdés. Valdés comes into the meeting and sees three Xs on the drawing board, the GK, and two Xs just outside the penalty box, almost at the endline on each side (before you could pass into your own box). Pep says to Víctor who do you think these two are? Víctor says ehh, the centre backs? Pep says indeed. This is where I want them when you start the play. Víctor says...mmm, they're going to have to be CBs who really want the ball to receive it there and play...Pep says, yep, indeed, and I don't care if you or them make mistakes, this is the way we are going to play no matter what.

Víctor then tells us with a smile, yeah, I thought he was crazy, but since I'm a madman myself, I like to try crazy things.

A bit of football history occurred in that moment, it was a point of inflection for the game and where it would go after. For all of Pep's virtues as a manager I think his willingness to accept mistakes and encourage players to continue to play a certain way if they are the right type of mistakes is really one of his biggest. Without that this football just isn't possible. The best managers and the best football minds know how to differentiate between what mistakes are acceptable and part of the process and what ones are not. I'm delighted we have a manager from this school, who follows a similar process, from his comments.

D

Deleted member 102404

It was one game. You don’t prove doubters wrong in one game. He has to prove himself

Depends on what the doubts were.
You absolutely do prove yourself in one game if its to prove you are not useless.
Nelson proved he can operate at an extremely high level, but he now needs to kick on and keep doing it.
He's definitely proved, in one game, that he's not hopeless/rubbish/ etc.
p.s. I thought he was rubbish, so I am eating crow.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Depends on what the doubts were.
You absolutely do prove yourself in one game if its to prove you are not useless.
Nelson proved he can operate at an extremely high level, but he now needs to kick on and keep doing it.
He's definitely proved, in one game, that he's not hopeless/rubbish/ etc.
p.s. I thought he was rubbish, so I am eating crow.
Nelson was a huge talent at youth level. The question was never about his talent. But his character, if he has the toughness, bravery and the personality to play at this level or would he hide as he has done so far. He has not proven anything by scoring twice against the worst team in the league. He has to keep showing bravery and desire if he will stay at Arsenal beyond this season. Next few months will decide his Arsenal career

Personally I don’t think you can develop the personality needed for this level. So I very much doubt he has long term future here

D

Deleted member 102404

Nelson was a huge talent at youth level. The question was never about his talent. But his character, if he has the toughness, bravery and the personality to play at this level or would he hide as he has done so far. He has not proven anything by scoring twice against the worst team in the league. He has to keep showing bravery and desire if he will stay at Arsenal beyond this season. Next few months will decide his Arsenal career

Personally I don’t think you can develop the personality needed for this level. So I very much doubt he has long term future here

I agree the next few months will decide his Arsenal career, but that is a big step forward from being in a position where many, including me, thought that ship had already sailed.

I was mightily impressed with his game yesterday, not just the goals. His decision making was good and his movement excellent (and positive). I think it was mentioned above, maybe by @samspade that the biggest thing he needs to do now is keep being positive , regardless if mistakes happen.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I agree the next few months will decide his Arsenal career, but that is a big step forward from being in a position where many, including me, thought that ship had already sailed.

I was mightily impressed with his game yesterday, not just the goals. His decision making was good and his movement excellent (and positive). I think it was mentioned above, maybe by @samspade that the biggest thing he needs to do now is keep being positive , regardless if mistakes happen.
And that is the hardest thing. Does he have that in him. Martinelli can make a lot of mistakes, same with saka. But that won’t them to shrink or just let others take responsibility. I don’t think you can’t teach this

TheGreatWright8

Player:Jesus
And that is the hardest thing. Does he have that in him. Martinelli can make a lot of mistakes, same with saka. But that won’t them to shrink or just let others take responsibility. I don’t think you can’t teach this
You can't teach talent either

Halend

There's a scene in this Messi documentary on Netflix (more about Guardiola and Barça than Messi, honestly, but whatever) that I absolutely love. Valdés tells us about how upon taking over the team Guardiola meets with Valdés. Valdés comes into the meeting and sees three Xs on the drawing board, the GK, and two Xs just outside the penalty box, almost at the endline on each side (before you could pass into your own box). Pep says to Víctor who do you think these two are? Víctor says ehh, the centre backs? Pep says indeed. This is where I want them when you start the play. Víctor says...mmm, they're going to have to be CBs who really want the ball to receive it there and play...Pep says, yep, indeed, and I don't care if you or them make mistakes, this is the way we are going to play no matter what.

Víctor then tells us with a smile, yeah, I thought he was crazy, but since I'm a madman myself, I like to try crazy things.

A bit of football history occurred in that moment, it was a point of inflection for the game and where it would go after. For all of Pep's virtues as a manager I think his willingness to accept mistakes and encourage players to continue to play a certain way if they are the right type of mistakes is really one of his biggest. Without that this football just isn't possible. The best managers and the best football minds know how to differentiate between what mistakes are acceptable and part of the process and what ones are not. I'm delighted we have a manager from this school, who follows a similar process, from his comments.
What documentary is this?

Arsenal Quotes

There is no chance of Sol ever leaving for Arsenal. He is a Spurs fan and there is not a hope in hell of him playing in an Arsenal shirt.

David Buchler, Tottenham Vice-Chairman, 2001

Latest posts

Top Bottom