• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premier League 2022/23

Do you believe we can win the Premier League?

• Total voters

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

People keep forgetting about City's January run, it's hard to see them escaping it without dropping points in one or two games regardless of what they're capable of.

First game back for them is Leeds and as little as I rate the manager they’ve ran us and Sp**s close as well as winning at Anfield this season.

City have got like 12 starters on World Cup favourites then it’s a rapid turnaround for Boxing Day.

If they drop points and we grind it out against the Hammers we don’t even have to be perfect through January.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

I think more than ever we need to sign a quality player who can make an impact *this* season in January. We have a unique opportunity to do something special *this* season. Thing about football is things change really quickly. Liverpool might be back to their best next season, Newcastle might be a force next season (they already are very good). Chelsea and Man United continue to spend stupid money and eventually something will stick.

We *have* to give it all we've got this season.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Competing against City puts things in perspective.

In March City go to palace away, then have CL 2nd leg against RB Leipzig three days later then play West Ham 4 days later.

Pep can go full strength against RBL midweek make 7 changes and still have a team that you’re confident beats West Ham. The players that do play midweek and then on the weekend will most likely not have played significant minutes against Palace the previous weekend.

Put us in that scenario and it’s hard not to see more than half the team having to play three games in a week, increasing the chance of injury as the season goes on while City’s rotation reduces theirs.

D

Deleted member 102404

Depth is used up when injuries occur. Depth is actually most beneficial when injuries don’t occur.

You’re able to keep players fresh throughout the season and then you get the secondary benefit of motivation as players know that they’ll lose their place if performances drop below a certain level.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Liverpool and City have been equally matched on the pitch in recent years but City tend to pull away with a mid-late season run.

As far as we’re concerned history (and just looking) at our squad suggests we won’t be able to maintain this 100 point pace. We’ve had the luxury of having minimal injuries and being able to play weaker teams in the EL group stages. That won’t happen in the knockouts and we’ll have to compete against a city team who have enough quality to rotate key players against almost any team.

In addition to that, fatigue will probably have a more noticeable impact on our high intensity style than it would on city’s possession based style and again, the drop off in quality (between our starters and bench) will mean less rotation which means players levels will dip a bit.

Fair arguments.
Where I depart is in that I don't think playing 2 games a week takes any real physical toll on a player. That is really the base assumption/view that leads me to place less importance on depth (to the extent of having a 'starter' level player as a bak up). I am in the play your best team every game camp.
Where I do see issues is in mental fatigue associated with constant pressure to perform, but in my view that is what makes champions, not the ability to bring in a player of lesser ability to give your best player in any position a rest.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Fair arguments.
Where I depart is in that I don't think playing 2 games a week takes any real physical toll on a player. That is really the base assumption/view that leads me to place less importance on depth (to the extent of having a 'starter' level player as a bak up). I am in the play your best team every game camp.
Where I do see issues is in mental fatigue associated with constant pressure to perform, but in my view that is what makes champions, not the ability to bring in a player of lesser ability to give your best player in any position a rest.
It’s more like three games a week but I agree, clubs have been doing it for years without wholesale rotation.

The problem is us having a first XI that plays 2/3 games a week competing against a first XI that plays 1/2 games a week.

That’s a new and unique problem that Pep has brought to the PL. The difference in fatigue between the two teams will grow as the season progresses and so will our risk of injury.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
All those prestigious clubs with great history & success....

and Brighton 😂

Love it

Don't let Brighton being on that list make you forget, that the last time Sp**s won a trophy this is what their current manager looked like...

contesiena.jpg

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

I think more than ever we need to sign a quality player who can make an impact *this* season in January. We have a unique opportunity to do something special *this* season. Thing about football is things change really quickly. Liverpool might be back to their best next season, Newcastle might be a force next season (they already are very good). Chelsea and Man United continue to spend stupid money and eventually something will stick.

We *have* to give it all we've got this season.
Were you trying to use bold with the asterisks? :lol:

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
With the ball presumably?
Do you know how it is calculated?

Is it time with ball in the opponents half vs time the opponents have the ball in your half?

Yes, essentially its territorial dominance over your opposition. Here is a description from The Athletic.

9. Field tilt

What it is:
Field tilt is a simple way of showing the territorial dominance between teams. Put simply, it measures the share of possession a team has in a game, considering only touches or passes in the attacking third.

So, if Team A makes a total of 80 final-third passes, and Team B attempts just 20 final-third passes, Team A has a field tilt of 80 per cent. The better attacking teams usually dominate this metric because they have more of the ball in attacking areas. As you can see below, Manchester City and Liverpool, in particular, were suffocating teams by keeping possession in the attacking third last season.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Yes, essentially its territorial dominance over your opposition. Here is a description from The Athletic.

9. Field tilt

What it is:
Field tilt is a simple way of showing the territorial dominance between teams. Put simply, it measures the share of possession a team has in a game, considering only touches or passes in the attacking third.

So, if Team A makes a total of 80 final-third passes, and Team B attempts just 20 final-third passes, Team A has a field tilt of 80 per cent. The better attacking teams usually dominate this metric because they have more of the ball in attacking areas. As you can see below, Manchester City and Liverpool, in particular, were suffocating teams by keeping possession in the attacking third last season.

It's pretty handy because possession doesn't tell that much. Sp**s for example can have much possession passing the ball mostly in their own half, but that is misleading in regard of how threatening the possession is.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah

I’ve asked before, if we miss out on the title, does Arteta deserve to walk? Like we wanted him to walk last season?

Nunowoolmez

Established Member

I’ve asked before, if we miss out on the title, does Arteta deserve to walk? Like we wanted him to walk last season?
No, I'd say top 4 is the minimum & anything more is a bonus right now.

If we still top or close 2nd by end of Jan then its 100 % a fight for the title.

If we don't make it, no, Teta shouldn't go. From where he took the club over from to where it is now, hes turned it around.

We will surely be in CL next season & that was the aim. We only 14 games in, its massively naive to be of the opinion we should win it. Long way to go..

Arsenal Quotes

Have Tottenham closed the gap on Arsenal?
Last time I checked they were still 4 miles and 11 titles away

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom