• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The rewritting history thread, or how Mikel/Arsenal turned it around. Or didn't. What even IS real?

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

I like the cultural changes Arteta haas made most of all. The team and wider club are so unified ATM. Arteta is responsible for this, I didnt see it emerging early on but it's clear now.

The point of change was summer 21; we have recruited brilliantly since then and got young hungry players with the right combination of technical skill and ambition who are good humans to boot. They greatly helped the club culture and bought into the project and standards required, but in addition, we can also play ball now

🤢🤮

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

You see what happens when you hire jaded mercenaries like at Chelsea currently or Utd previously; it's like pissing 250 million pounds up a wall

Yeah no arguments there.

If I had to pick one thing (or two) its the consistency since early/mid last season and organisation Arteta has instilled that I have enjoyed most. The culture and stuff I could take it or leave it, but glad you saw the humour in my post.

Whilst Arsène was more free flowing and I felt anything could happen (in a positive way), Arteta has instilled clear roles, organisation and control which is startling when compared to all the teams in transition (Utd, Chelsea, etc) and the chaos we saw under Emery.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

"If we don't win the league it will be a failure..." Isn't that what you used to say when Arsène was in charge?
Why not staying on the topic and replying to the valid point I made? See this is why I have called you out as a rather disingenuous debater. You use this technique too often I think. It might score some cheap points but over the years it becomes quite repetitive and very predictable. But as Auba said correctly, it isn't personal! Just an observation from a fellow A-M poster. :love:

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I like the cultural changes Arteta haas made most of all. The team and wider club are so unified ATM. Arteta is responsible for this, I didnt see it emerging early on but it's clear now.

The point of change was summer 21; we have recruited brilliantly since then and got young hungry players with the right combination of technical skill and ambition who are good humans to boot. They greatly helped the club culture and bought into the project and standards required, but in addition, we can also play ball now
Excellent post! The rot had set in under Wenger's later years and it has taken quite an effort on part of the club to root it out. The transformation is striking. No more 4th place is a trophy. No more getting out of games or staying home with a cold or a bad back from playing Fortnite. The new mentality I am sure will bring more success than what we have had in over almost two decades. We are a club reborn! :thumbsup:

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:White
This is how you KNOW Mikel is “the one”. Guy not only has a 4000+ page thread, he’s now got a new one that will no doubt be one of the busiest around here. Gotta hand it to him, incredible work.

D

Deleted member 102404

2019/20 to 2022/23 second biggest investment in player transfers of all 5 major European leagues. That's high.

But you're right, they might not need to buy a lot now. Much will depend on Saliba, Saka, Martinelli contract details. None of those are Arteta buys and their contracts come up soon. It'll be a big relief if they resign. Replacing those would be very costly, and also not really sure how well Vieira and Lokonga are working out. A top midfielder to rotate with Xhaka/Partey would be expensive too.
Think we’re 6th biggest on expenditure over that period in terms of outlay. 2nd on net spend but that is mainly because of a squad packed with depreciating assets.

We’re only slightly ahead on spend over the period than Sp**s and behind Utd, City and Chelsea. Don’t think it’s excessive given the extent of the rebuild.

Dj_sds -

Think we’re 6th biggest on expenditure over that period in terms of outlay. 2nd on net spend but that is mainly because of a squad packed with depreciating assets.

We’re only slightly ahead on spend over the period than Sp**s and behind Utd, City and Chelsea. Don’t think it’s excessive given the extent of the rebuild.

And if you factor in the reduction in our wage bill the club is spending well within its means.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

The net spend is what the club actually invests in transfers, the money it has to find from somewhere. The Kroenke's have risen to 2nd over a 4 year period. Don't think anybody saw that coming.

D

Deleted member 102404

The net spend is what the club actually invests in transfers, the money it has to find from somewhere. The Kroenke's have risen to 2nd over a 4 year period. Don't think anybody saw that coming.
Agree, but net spend is very circumstantial. It depends entirely who you have to sell and for how much.
I not only saw it coming, because if you look at the gross spend in the previous 4 years , 2 under Wenger and 2 under Emery, it was the same - I knew a complete overhaul was needed and the Kroenkes were already spending. it’s been pretty consistent for some time with the variable being the value of the existing squad in terms of transfers out. Frankly that is down to bad buys by Wenger and Emery mainly and a spattering of players that had been left to fester for too long.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

And if you factor in the reduction in our wage bill the club is spending well within its means.
Keep reading this about Arsenal's wage bill. But Arteta, along with Emery, has presided over one of the biggest wage bills in history, even accounting for inflation. Of course 2022 it will have gone down because of Auba, Willian and others leaving. But that is only temporary because upcoming Saka, Saliba and Martinelli contracts will likely be £200k a week each or maybe more.

550-BE182-FCA3-4-B35-A8-C2-B0-AE445-CA33-E.jpg

D

Deleted member 102404

Keep reading this about Arsenal's wage bill. But Arteta, along with Emery, has presided over one of the biggest wage bills in history, even accounting for inflation. Of course 2022 it will have gone down because of Auba, Willian and others leaving. But that is only temporary because upcoming Saka, Saliba and Martinelli contracts will likely be £200k a week each or maybe more.

The big reduction in wage bill came in 21/22, I think.
Several sources have our wage bill now at £85m, which means we could pay Saliba, Martinelli and Saka £200k a week and still be at the level we were in 16/17.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Agree, but net spend is very circumstantial. It depends entirely who you have to sell and for how much.
I not only saw it coming, because if you look at the gross spend in the previous 4 years , 2 under Wenger and 2 under Emery, it was the same - I knew a complete overhaul was needed and the Kroenkes were already spending. it’s been pretty consistent for some time with the variable being the value of the existing squad in terms of transfers out. Frankly that is down to bad buys by Wenger and Emery mainly and a spattering of players that had been left to fester for too long.
Gross spend is irrelevant for the club. If you've got players to sell, like Coutinho at Liverpool, the clubs outlay doesn't need to be much to bring in good players. Net spend is the killer.
The Kroenke's have spent more on transfers since 19/20 in real terms than the club spent in whole 22 years of Wenger. Even accounting for inflation which has been running low for years, that's a crazy increase.

D

Deleted member 102404

Gross spend is irrelevant for the club. If you've got players to sell, like Coutinho at Liverpool, the clubs outlay doesn't need to be much to bring in good players. Net spend is the killer.
The Kroenke's have spent more on transfers since 19/20 in real terms than the club spent in whole 22 years of Wenger. Even accounting for inflation which has been running low for years, that's a crazy increase.

Forget Wenger. He was unique in what he did with the money he had. That isn’t the benchmark.

I don’t think we’re out of whack vs our competition at all when it comes to spend.
In fact now the rebuild is largely done , we’ve slipped to 12th over the last year on gross spend and 8th on net spend.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Sounds very similar to when there were Edu rumours, and after a while he got an extension & promotion...

True colours.. ;)

Are you sure these numbers take inflation into account, or the hugely rising wages in recent years?

Another thing to consider is that Wenger dropped twice out of UCL, which results in Arsenal having to overpay top players to attract them without UCL. So that inflates the future UEL seasons wages. It's not comparable.

Dj_sds -

A poor recruitment strategy since 2015 led to our inflated wage bill and lack of transfer fees. This was something that the club had to rectify during Arteta's tenure.

Of course, as our wage bill increases, our transfer expenditure will decrease. But with good contract management and our current recruitment strategy, we will be able to be more successful in selling players at market rates. In the end, it will still balance out. A club of arsenal's stature can and should always be a major player in the transfer market.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Forget Wenger. He was unique in what he did with the money he had. That isn’t the benchmark.

I don’t think we’re out of whack vs our competition at all when it comes to spend.
In fact now the rebuild is largely done , we’ve slipped to 12th over the last year on gross spend and 8th on net spend.
Since 2019/20 in real terms we've spent £418m. City £220, Liverpool £104m, Chelsea £296m, Sp**s £373. Only United have spent more in the whole of Europe. We've got to praise the Kroenke's for this.

Liverpool have really taken their foot off the gas and Klopp is suffering.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

A poor recruitment strategy since 2015 led to our inflated wage bill and lack of transfer fees. This was something that the club had to rectify during Arteta's tenure.

Of course, as our wage bill increases, our transfer expenditure will decrease. But with good contract management and our current recruitment strategy, we will be able to be more successful in selling players at market rates. In the end, it will still balance out. A club of arsenal's stature can and should always be a major player in the transfer market.
True, but with success comes more monetary constraints. Players want more pay and if you sell players, you have to replace them with expensive players, or risk a dip while cheaper young players develop, as happened to Arteta in the last 3 years.

There'll be no respite for the Kroenkes. If they take their foot of the gas and go back to previous spending levels, we'll sink like Liverpool.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
True, but with success comes more monetary constraints. Players want more pay and if you sell players, you have to replace them with expensive players, or risk a dip while cheaper young players develop, as happened to Arteta in the last 3 years.

There'll be no respite for the Kroenkes. If they take their foot of the gas and go back to previous spending levels, we'll sink like Liverpool.
Not splashing major cash and bringing ready to players of quality ready to play would be gross negligence. You dont get many chances at a title Kroenke hopefully knows this

Arsenal Quotes

A football team is like a beautiful woman. When you do not tell her, she forgets she is beautiful.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Wednesday, May 29

Bruno Guimaraes’ representatives have been told by Newcastle that he won’t be sold unless his release clause is triggered [TBR Football]

Arsenal are one of a number of clubs interested in Leeds’ 18 year old midfielder Archie Gray [Fabrizio Romano]

Kia Joorabchian has claimed striker Joshua Zirkzee is pushing towards a move to Arsenal [Corriere dello Sport]

Arsenal have moved on from midfielder Martin Zubimendi and are targeting other players in the position instead [HITC]

RB Leipzig striker Benjamin Šeško is the club’s number one target this summer [John Cross - The Mirror]

Any move for Bruno Guimaraes or Douglas Luiz depends on the departure of Thomas Partey [Sami Mokbel - The Mail]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom