• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premier League 2022/23

Do you believe we can win the Premier League?

• Total voters

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

Most of these "Tottenham legends" left them for Chelsea and United, ffs!

Man like Darren Anderton, imagine supporting a club that classes him as a legend 🤣

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard
20230313-152859.jpg

We'd be first in all of them seasons, apart from one, with our current tally. Narrative though is that Man City are having an off season...
This is good but not entirely true. We wouldn't have been first in the COVID season as Liverpool had more points at this stage. This is just showing city's points.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐

A small group of balding men in their early 30s have spent a couple weeks worth of labour on that.

“How was work, honey?”
“Oh you know, we went to the canal to film Teddy Sherringham for a football joke we’ll post on Twitter”
“My dad had built his own house when he was your age”

Mohamed7

Them playing Liverpool and Brighton before our match with them gives me hope. Think both will be D for City. Can’t see them winning.

We got the whole week off prior to our match vs Liverpool. Nice. They have outstanding forwards but weak midfield and defense. If we bring our A game, I can see us winning by a comfortable margin, 3-1 or 4-1.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
Them playing Liverpool and Brighton before our match with them gives me hope. Think both will be D for City. Can’t see them winning.

We got the whole week off prior to our match vs Liverpool. Nice. They have outstanding forwards but weak midfield and defense. If we bring our A game, I can see us winning by a comfortable margin, 3-1 or 4-1.

City will have the FA Cup semi final on the 22nd of April instead of Brighton, which will be played later. I hope they draw United to give them a good run for their money.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka

albakos

Administrator

Also worth noting that City's form this season is not as consistent as in previous seasons.

The max number of wins they got on the trot was 3 after which they either lost or drew.
That happened 3 times during this season as they won 3 successive games, before dropping points again.

In comparison, we had the following series of successive wins:
5 successive wins: 3 times (Aug-Sept; Nov-Dec and the 3rd run still active)
4 successive wins: 1 (Sept-October) before drawing to Soton away (or Leeds as per @A_G :) )

albakos

Administrator

I've gone and made some analysis on the trends of Man City since their 1st title under Guardiola until now.

1678805238843.png

This basic law of averages analysis was done with matchweek 27 as a reference point with past seasons.

For comparisons sake, for the current season I shifted the analysis 11 games behind and compared the current matchweek 27 with matchweek 16

A few quick takeaways:
  • When on 1st position, City don't tend to improve on their PPG as much
  • But when on 2nd during the 2018/19 season, City went on a wild streak of winning all of their 11 remaining games by getting max 33 points and passing Liverpool to the title race.
  • If we get the average PPG over last 5 season for their final 11 matches, it is 2.41, so when you multiply that with 11 remaining games is it 26.5 points (87-88 pts by GW 38)
  • This year's GD of +42 is weaker than their average of last 5 seasons by GW 27, which is 47.6.
  • City do not have a good record in the FA Cup, so this year's involvement v. Burnley and the prospect of facing United in semis or final will be more challenging for them.

Now there are many variables at play when comparing the City of those years with this one. The previous years, especially in the early Guardiola years, they had proven experienced winners in: Kompany, Aguero, David Silva, and Fernandinho. They also had quality players like Sterling, Sane, Bernardo Silva and Mahrez were better than this year.
City's involvement in cups should be to our advantage, given that by having arguably one of the best strikers today in Haaland, and will try to go all the way for CL.

There are a lot of takeaways one can take from this, so other stat guys like @Sebastes, @Rex Bezos, (was it?) @Batman or others (who follow the PPG on every week) can chime in.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
The problem is that City have all of their big matches at home for the rest of the season: Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal. Also have Brighton away and Brentford away.

Meanwhile, we have have City, Liverpool and Newcastle away, and a home match with Chelsea. Also Brighton at home.

I think the schedule favours City slightly, and we need somewhat of a cushion and for them to drop points in other games.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
The max number of wins they got on the trot was 3 after which they either lost or drew.
That happened 3 times during this season as they won 3 successive games, before dropping points again.
Wonder where you read that…
Man City this season:
2 wins followed by a draw
3 wins followed by a loss
3 wins followed by a loss
1 win followed by a draw
1 win followed by a loss
2 wins followed by a loss

They’re currently on a 2 game win streak so based on this season, they will drop points next. There’s just no evidence to suggest that they’ll go on the long unbeaten run A-M is convinced of.

albakos

Administrator

Reactions: A_G

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Unpopular take, but I think Arsenal should go strong in both European competitions and in the EPL, if Arsenal ends short in one or both competitons (let's say 88 points second place + EL second place), this is still part of the process and Arsenal should be strong next season with two or three players in and young players getting better, a lot of young players there. The goal should be won both though, both the EPL and EL.
Think this is how Arteta views it. We are going for both competitions!

Synical

Miss Superstitious

I've gone and made some analysis on the trends of Man City since their 1st title under Guardiola until now.

1678805238843-png.13599

This basic law of averages analysis was done with matchweek 27 as a reference point with past seasons.

For comparisons sake, for the current season I shifted the analysis 11 games behind and compared the current matchweek 27 with matchweek 16

- When on 1st position, City don't tend to improve on their PPG as much
- When on 2nd though, City went on a wild streak of winning all of their 11 remaining games by getting max 33 points and passing Liverpool to the title race.
- If we get the average PPG over last 5 season for their final 11 matches, it is 2.41, so when you multiply that with 11 remaining games is it 26.5 points (87-88 pts by GW 38)
- This year's GD of +42 is weaker than their average of last 5 seasons by GW 27 which is 47.6.
- City do not have a good record on FA Cup, so this year's involvement v. Burnley and the prospect of facing United in semis or final will be more challenging for them.

Now there are many variables that play when comparing the City of those years with this one. The previous years, especially in early Guardiola years they had proven experienced winners in: Kompany, Aguero, David Silva, Fernandinho. They also had quality players like Sterling, Sane, Bernardo Silva and Mahrez were better than this year.
City's involvement in cups should be to our advantage, given that by having arguably one of the best strikers today in Haaland, they will try to go through all the way for CL.

There are a lot of takeaways one can take from this, so other stat nerds like @Sebastes and (was it?) @Batman (who follow the PPG on every week) can chime in.
Amazing, thank you 😍

Synical

Miss Superstitious

1678805238843-png.13599

- When on 1st position, City don't tend to improve on their PPG as much
- When on 2nd though, City went on a wild streak of winning all of their 11 remaining games by getting max 33 points and passing Liverpool to the title race.
- If we get the average PPG over last 5 season for their final 11 matches, it is 2.41, so when you multiply that with 11 remaining games is it 26.5 points (87-88 pts by GW 38)
- This year's GD of +42 is weaker than their average of last 5 seasons by GW 27 which is 47.6.
- City do not have a good record on FA Cup, so this year's involvement v. Burnley and the prospect of facing United in semis or final will be more challenging for them.

Now there are many variables that play when comparing the City of those years with this one. The previous years, especially in early Guardiola years they had proven experienced winners in: Kompany, Aguero, David Silva, Fernandinho. They also had quality players like Sterling, Sane, Bernardo Silva and Mahrez were better than this year.
City's involvement in cups should be to our advantage, given that by having arguably one of the best strikers today in Haaland, they will try to go through all the way for CL.

There are a lot of takeaways one can take from this, so other stat nerds like @Sebastes and (was it?) @Batman (who follow the PPG on every week) can chime in.
Strange that they didn't do well during COVID season. You would have thought that they would be used to there being no fans 🤣

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The problem is that City have all of their big matches at home for the rest of the season: Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal. Also have Brighton away and Brentford away.

Meanwhile, we have have City, Liverpool and Newcastle away, and a home match with Chelsea. Also Brighton at home.

I think the schedule favours City slightly, and we need somewhat of a cushion and for them to drop points in other games.
Is that a problem though? Brentford and Brighton and two of the toughest places to go.

I also feel like at home, the emotion of the crowd isn't as much of an advantage as it was earlier in the season. When people were dreaming and not believing earlier, you had Saliba score an own goal and have the crowd back him instantly. The crowd are obviously still supportive, but there is nervousness now.

Away from home, the same energy isn't there. The away crowd are completely different to the home crowd. They have the same early season energy. I feel the team play with more freedom away from home at the moment. It is also the case that teams are less likely to be in a deep block. If they are in a deep block, it is an advantage as the crowd will get on the home teams back.

I watched the City vs Palace game. Neither team was good, but City were clearly not under the same mental pressure to score as they would have been had Palace kept them out for the same amount of time at the Eithad. The Palace fans would have been backing them at the Etihad.

City were not good vs Leipzig until they got the penalty. Passes were going astray and the crowd were visibly nervous.

City came to us and let us have the ball and hit us on the break. They did a job on us and we were naive. There is no way City fans will accept Arsenal coming to the Etihad and dominating the ball. If we do that, they will get on their backs. They will need to win, the pressure will be on them.

I don't think away fixtures are such a bad thing currently. In fact the fixture that worries me the most is the Chelsea one as we literally have no rest.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Win all the winnable matches and I count Chelsea and Newcastle in that bracket, based on form and general play this season. Then you're left with Man City and Liverpool away which we could afford to lose.

Man City aren't winning 11 out of 11.

If we don't win the PL it won't be because we lose to Man City at their place or Liverpool at theirs, it'll be dropping a handful of points in a couple of matches against teams we should on paper beat

Arsenal Quotes

I'm obsessed by the idea of making my mark on history. And Arsenal is my paradise.

Thierry Henry

Latest posts

Top Bottom