• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard
Was reading some of the posts form the back end of last season and reflecting now.... :lol:

What a season we have had. Nobody expected us to be anywhere near to City let alone the 'so called' top 4 teams. Yet here we are. A few obervations from me on what's improved.

We're currently the 3rd highest scoring team in Europe with 88 goals (across top 5 leagues). Massive improvement from our total of 61 goals last season. Interesting that despite all the media outlets lauding Haaland, Man City scored more goals last season WITHOUT him than they did with him. They totalled 94 this season and 99 last season. I also wonder if we could have scored more if we didn't lose Jesus after the World Cup.

goals.JPG

Granit Xhaka has achieved his career best goals and assist stats. One could say wthat we have finally got the best out of him?

granit.JPG

We were better defensively this season as we only conceded 43 goals to our 48 last season. Lots of room for improvement here though and I expect us to strengthen in defence to improve this number next season. Also the loss of Saliba at a crucial part of the season didn't help. Only Newcastle and City had better defensive records. Across europe, Barcelona have been very stubborn in defense conceding only 18 goals!!!

defense.JPG

Last of all, massive credit to Arteta after all the disrepsect he endured last season. All the silly 'Spanish Pulis' nonsense from some of these social media commentators were ridiculous and OTT. Some of you on here were very harsh with your criticism so I hope you are enjoying the humble pie right now... :lol: Building a squad and style of football takes time. Things don't just happen overnight. Sometimes a little patience is all that is needed.

Bloodbather

Established Member

I assume the "phases" are more than pure performance goals. Assume they also include things like changing the relationship between club and fans. Pretty sure there are goals around that too. Think the stadium redo was part of that. Also think trying to keep our academy players in the squad and create pathways for them another part.
For me the whole change the culture, change the vibes stuff were Phases 1 and 2. Arteta talked about the non-negotiables and stuff in Phase 1 just trying to repair the relationship between the fans and the team with Xhaka being a prominent example. Then he started to get rid of bad influences on the team (Özil, Guendouzi, Aubameyang) and brought in his players in Phase 2. Phase 3 was this season where we had a defined strategy and an established first eleven and started to become a competitive team in the league. I assume Phase 4 is us expanding our squad depth and being a title-winning caliber team, and Phase 5 is being a contender for the CL.

I think we overachieved in Phase 3 this season and started to look like we were in Phase 4, but we showed that we are not by the end of the season.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Was reading some of the posts form the back end of last season and reflecting now.... :lol:

What a season we have had. Nobody expected us to be anywhere near to City let alone the 'so called' top 4 teams. Yet here we are. A few obervations from me on what's improved.

We're currently the 3rd highest scoring team in Europe with 88 goals (across top 5 leagues). Massive improvement from our total of 61 goals last season. Interesting that despite all the media outlets lauding Haaland, Man City scored more goals last season WITHOUT him than they did with him. They totalled 94 this season and 99 last season. I also wonder if we could have scored more if we didn't lose Jesus after the World Cup.

View attachment 15428

Granit Xhaka has achieved his career best goals and assist stats. One could say wthat we have finally got the best out of him?

View attachment 15429

We were better defensively this season as we only conceded 43 goals to our 48 last season. Lots of room for improvement here though and I expect us to strengthen in defence to improve this number next season. Also the loss of Saliba at a crucial part of the season didn't help. Only Newcastle and City had better defensive records. Across europe, Barcelona have been very stubborn in defense conceding only 18 goals!!!

View attachment 15430

Last of all, massive credit to Arteta after all the disrepsect he endured last season. All the silly 'Spanish Pulis' nonsense from some of these social media commentators were ridiculous and OTT. Some of you on here were very harsh with your criticism so I hope you are enjoying the humble pie right now... :lol: Building a squad and style of football takes time. Things don't just happen overnight. Sometimes a little patience is all that is needed.

Superb analysis, thanks for putting this together.

Ill just say something about the disrespect towards Arsenal. Get ready for more disrespect over the summer, and even going into next season. I believe its a combination of rivals refusing to give credit to Arsenal for their good work over the last two seasons, combined with their desire to see Arsenal go backwards from this point onward.

So you'll hear a lot of nonsense about how we have peaked, overperformed, were a flash in a pan, only good because the rest of the league couldnt compete, etc. All sort of delusional nonsense, away from actual, solid analysis which explains why we wont do this again.

But one thing is clear to me now, which I've seen this season. Arsenal are one of THE clubs in the world, despite our poor standards in recent years. That's why we are on everyone's lips and in every youtube video out there.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
That the club and manager has a multi year plan and vision for the team's and squad's development and revamping? How is that cringe? Is it the naming? Personally think it makes sense.
Turned us into a contender and qualified to the CL directly. Phase 4 is probably winning the league, and Phase 5 is winning the CL.
You guys are just guessing at this point.

I reckon you guys shift goal posts if he spectacularly fails to achieve whatever nebulous plans he's planned.

I don't want him sacked. I just don't like this kumbaya bullshit.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Think it has a lot to do with the role he is playing. Gundogan wasn't really adding goals before he took the same role at City.

As for the rest, I agree that we would've probably scored more and conceded less with Jesus and Saliba fit (maybe even winning the league), but injuries are part of it and this summer we need to invest more into subs as our first 11 are already amazing

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I assume the "phases" are more than pure performance goals. Assume they also include things like changing the relationship between club and fans. Pretty sure there are goals around that too. Think the stadium redo was part of that. Also think trying to keep our academy players in the squad and create pathways for them another part.
Thats the biggest problem right there.

We don't even know what these plans are. He just comes out with "phase this" and "phase that"

I reckon if we fail next year, the shills will say phase 4 was all about seeing how we bounce back from a bad season.

Bloodbather

Established Member

You guys are just guessing at this point.

I reckon you guys shift goal posts if he spectacularly fails to achieve whatever nebulous plans he's planned.

I don't want him sacked. I just don't like this kumbaya bullshit.
Don't lump me into a category of "Arteta shills" please. I heavily criticized Arteta for years here, he had to win me back over. And I was critical of him down the stretch this season as well.

And of course I'm guessing, no ****, that's what the word probably is there for.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

I need one of you to admit that securing Champions league football with a mixture of academy talent and seasoned pros, whilst paying for a stadium rebuild is nothing new to Arsenal football club.

Otherwise I will end up just sh*tting on Arteta all summer.

One of you must atleast see a little bit why some of us just do not rate the PR and praise that comes with this process?

We've secured CL with academy talent like Wilshere, Iwobi and comical players like Gibbs so some of you are pissing me off a little bit.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
I need one of you to admit that securing Champions league football with a mixture of academy talent and seasoned pros, whilst paying for a stadium rebuild is nothing new to Arsenal football club.

One of you must atleast see a little bit why some of us just do not rate the PR and praise that comes with this process?

We've secured CL with Wilshere, Iwobi and comical players like Gibbs so some of you are pissing me off a little bit.

There's also a question of which youth player has Teta successfully integrated?

Do you reckon we see 2-3 new Hale Enders making some appearances next season? Like ESR, Saka, etc did under Emery, or all those years under AW?

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

There's also a question of which youth player has Teta successfully integrated?

Do you reckon we see 2-3 new Hale Enders making some appearances next season? Like ESR, Saka, etc did under Emery, or all those years under AW?

Debut and stick around? That's a very good question. That's one for Mutable and the other U23 buffs.

We've secured CL with academy talent like Wilshere, Iwobi and comical players like Gibbs so some of you are pissing me off a little bit.

Who you want to say it? Me? I was big fan of what Wenger did. I even wanted him to stay. I would even take him back now if offered and I believe he would have gotten us quicker back into CL than last 5 years.

I think the convo is bit misguided here. Majority of people who hated Wenger and even called for him to be killed on this forum are also those who hate on Arteta and will also hate the next manager. I think the people who truly loved Wenger are those who atill back Arteta to come good.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
Debut and stick around? That's a very good question.

Yep. You can argue with ESR possibly leaving, Patino, Balogun looking to leave, maybe Eddie and Nelson as well, coming into his fourth season his track record has actually made the academy more redundant than i previous 5-10 years?

I'd like more boldness from him when it comes to squad planning/management/rotation and youth integration in "part 1 of Phase IV."

Maybe I'm asking too much.

Arsenal Quotes

A team can attack for too long. The most opportune time for scoring is immediately after repelling an attack, because opponents are then strung out in the wrong half of the field. All the men are expected to play to plan, but not so as to stifle individuality

Herbert Chapman

Latest posts

Top Bottom