• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sol Campbell (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikeypete

Unless Baptisa is to play attacking midfield with Gilberto!!!

I dont think so. Vieira is staying and Baptisa will be playing with Henry up front banging in shed loads of goals

footballus_maximus

I don't want vieira to go simply because there ain't many good midfielders around at a cheap price. He's still the best around.

However, i wouldn't be surprised if Vieira started all this, maybe he hinted that he won't sign a new deal. We can't afford to lose another player for free.

By all accounts on this forum Hleb is not the best defensively. (I personally, don't know too much about him). However with regard to the above (Hleb and Gilberto), I thought football was supposed to be a contact sport. :lol:

Ratinho

Established Member
Yeah, because Gilberto really shirks challenges and avoids contact, doesn't he?

Moreso than Viera has in recent seasons?? :roll:

Pikeypete

Sky Sports News has just interviewed the Italian football Media - there 'opinion' (its an opinion) is that their is a deal likely to be made and will involve players + money.

Juve have not got loads of cash to splash about - so a player swap is likely
Arsenal want at least £12M ; Juve offered £6M - HA!
Trezuget is wanting to play in the prem and is a chelsea target
Trez is best mates with Henry - fact
Arsène gave Trez his debut and there is a strong relationship between the two - fact
We need a world class striker to partner Henry
Vieira has had 9 great years at arsenal - and has frequently thought of new challenges

Dont put down Gilberto's contribution in the middle. He was the main reason IMO that we didnt win the prem last year - he was injured for most of it. He is a massive player for us!!

Question:
Why do we need 2 defensively minded midfield players? Is this why we havent won the CL??? Gilberto and an attacking midfield who scores many goals may be the CL boost we need.

This could be the formula to win the Prem and the Cl next year - who knows? Arsène knows!

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
How can Arsenal want to sell Vieira for 12M while only few days ago an overrated Gerard was going for almost 30M? Don't get it. I don't want Vieira to go..i want him to lead us into the new stadium and i believe he will but if he wants to go pls why go cheap?

Ratinho

Established Member
Right Mbaki, let me explain.

Gerrard is in his early 20's, Vieira is pushing 30.

Gerrard may have been just as average as Vieira last season, but he is very high profile due to the CL.

Gerrard is being followed by the richest club in the world, Vieira isn't.

And finall, Gerrard may be overrated, but he is still world class.

And Pikey, seeling Vieira would leave us with 1 defensive midfiedler in the squad, 2 maybe including Flamini. Even if Vieira left, i'd expect Wenger to move quickly for someone like Diarra.

Jinn

Established Member
We've already said we're not going to be selling, so anything else is just a waste of time really. As if Vieira would leave us now after all that crap last summer.

Pikeypete

This might not be Vieira wanting to go - this maybe a club decision.

Agree Ratinho - Gerrard is worth more than Vieira because of age and prospect. Vieira would have gome for 25-30 M last year but not anymore.

I too hope PV stays but we are no longer a team around one player, we are a team among many great players - it might be good business to sell him.

Jinn

Established Member
As I said, we've already been quoted as saying as we're not interested in selling.

And I mean direct quotes, not journalist BS.

Feis-al

I wonder why we aren't really selling this guy, Just ask for Nedved and trust me, juve will never come back and we concertrate on preseason :D :D :shock:

burnsjed

Established Member
asajoseph said:
As OPG hints at, we're not a farm. If Flamini and Senderos get places, it should be on merit, not because they're younger. We don't sell experienced players just to give young players games - sure it might help them develop, but we'll be a far weaker team because of it.

I have been trying to get that point across for some time to.
It amazes me how some people do not want us to bring in better players in some positions as it might stunt the development of a youngster.

We are not a farm, we are moving in to a new stadium and need to maintain a decent level of success to cover the debt that goes with that stadium, and there is no guarantee that these young players will develop.
PLayers should be choosen on merit, not age (be it young or old).

s_rishi1

Hmm...maybe Guns n Arses' idea wasn't a bad one.

Everrbody's been talking about a new keeper.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is Buffon not supposed to be the best keeper in the world?

He hasn't passed his peak yet?

Then why not do a cash plus player swap for Buffon?

asajoseph

Established Member
Why not? Because Juve will laugh at us... Sure, it'd be great for us, but no way in hell would it happen.

phenn

Honestly, I don't see a point in selling Vieira now. There's no way in hell you could get 20m for him at this stage in his career, with the way he played last season. Let's face it, he didn't have the kind of year that people are going to want to splash anywhere close to 20m on.

At this point I'd say anything above 15m for Vieira is about what he's worth. If Arsenal want to sell that's what they have to take.

I would rather us not sell of course but his value is only going down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I knew we were very different, that he (Ferguson) had a total hold over his club while at that time I was still more of a coach. I also recognised his huge qualities. He knew how to surround himself with the right people and didn't rest on his laurels when he was successful.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom