• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sol Campbell (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinn

Established Member
Well the Lupoli quotes ewre published by an Italian paper. And he's the only Italian we have at the club, so...

In any case, this makes it more likely that the Vieira story was fabricated.

And even if you look at the comments Moggi made earlier that seemed to confirm a Juve bid, you can quite easily see how they could be taken out of context.

"Arsenal don't want to sell him."

"I haven't said that he is too expensive. In any case we will have to meet them again."

"Obviously, they will not let him go cheaply as he is a magnificent, winning midfielder but if Arsenal are willing to do business, we'd buy him tomorrow."

PHW said that "there maybe something in it, but i dont know anything about it. Everything with vieira is fine"

That means they spoke about selling paddy...

Also Moggi (or however YOU spell it) said "i spoke to arsenal, but not because of vieira. i spoke to them because they are good friends of mine."

What a crock of ****...

Why fly all the way over and waste time talking about nothing important at all? Especially after only a few weeks ago, Juve were declaring strong interest in paddy.

I dont want paddy to leave, but Arsène knows best.

mod edit: watch the text language.

Tony Montana

Established Member
I think arsenal need to be more adventurous in the transfer market sometimes. For example, last July and August we didn't buy anyone as far as i can remember. We take ages to sign two people who frankly we don't know a hell of a lot about. And that's a fact. I'm not cussing the signings but they are not necessarily world class. Anyhow, we need to wait and see what we can do. I'm not saying we need to buy huge players like Trezeguet but if we sold Vieira (which i don't particularly want to happen by the way), that's not the worst thing in the world. It wasn't when Man U sold Beckham (although since he was sold Man U haven't been great) or when Liverpool sold Owen. We desperately wanted to keep Vieira last summer but last season was a bit brass by his standards. I'm not saying we should believe everything we read either, but papers like the Guardian were saying some kind of revolution wouldn't be dentrimental to the club. I wouldn't disagree either. Obviously not Henry, Cole, Fabregas, Campbell and certain other peeps but selling some established players and bringing in others could do wonders for our title challenge and even the Champions league.

Now don't start chucking it at me please. Just express your views nicely.

asajoseph

Established Member
That wasn't my edit, but I'll be blunt - cut the text language out, or your posts will be removed. If you then continue to post in text language, you'll be banned.

And nobody wants that to happen.

RockyRocastle

Established Member
If we sell Vieira then we are mad.

We are supposed to be a big club, soon to move into a huge money making ground.

Selling the best CM in the world just so we can make 15 million quid is stupid imo.

Ye asa i understand (is "ye" text language???) that this site doesnt allow it, but it just seems like its made to be a heinous crime or something. I made one mistake and the mods are all over it...

I dont post deliberately in text format - it was a mistake. Dont worry i wont do it again out of fear of being hanged or worse.

asajoseph

Established Member
Personally, I know how it can be - sometimes you just type 'u' instead of 'you', or whatever. Basically, we just try to treat it with common sense: if a post is intelligent and contributes to the discussion, usually I'll overlook one or two little mistakes, but if a post is nothing more than 'I agree wit u m8', then usually it's time to crack down.

One or two lapses are acceptable, but don't make a habit of it, please.

Anyhow, as far as I can see, we were hardly 'all over you' - just a reminder at the bottom of the post you wrote is by far the least of your concerns! You've not been 'blacklisted' or anything like that - just try not to do it in the future.

asajoseph

Established Member
No surprise that Real are linked again - but there doesn't seem to be any substance to this story whatsoever.

Although according to Gabriele Marcotti, Arsenal will cash in on Vieira and replace him with Mahamadou Diarra, if possible.

http://www.sundayherald.com/50793

I don't want Vieira to go, although if we could acquire Diarra, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

afrodizzy

Viera to me represents the epitome of the mordern day Arsenal, strong agressive, committed, I running out of expletives to describe him if he goes he will be missed. The big question is who will step in his shoes, like Tony Adams there will be noone big enough to fill his boots. I wonder gain if he will leave he talked of leading the team into Ashburton Grove (emirates) and why are not selling Pires or Freddy who I truly be;ive are replaceable.

asajoseph

Established Member
I don't think we're selling Vieira for the cash - if he goes, it will be because Wenger believe's he's busted (remember what Tony Adams said about him? Maybe he was right...), OR because he finally wants to go. That's the way it will be someday, Vieira will not ALWAYS be an Arsenal player. Don't get me wrong, I don't want him to go, but if by doing so we can replace him with a quality younger player with the potential to fill his shoes one day, then so be it. I like Diarra, I think he's a class act - will he ever be Vieira class? Well, he's got more chance than most. If we can get a player like him in, without spending any of our pre-summer transfer budget, it won't be the worst thing in the world. It will be essential to strengthen the team as a whole though, even more than was needed in the past, to compensate for losing such a well adjusted player. But we were good last season, even without an on-form Vieira. Maybe it's just another step towards Arsenal's next phase...

teitzo

I can't believe we are considering selling viera, especially when the price has halved since last year!! maybe if we sold him for 30m, then we may be able to get a decent replacment.

AFCG7

Established Member
I'm with you on the Adams hunch.. the way i see it the only reason we would sell Vieira is if the club knows something about his game that we dont.. could it be the dodgy knees scenario? Is he going downhill fitness wise? Does Vieira think its time to go?
Lots of questions. No apparent answers. Speculation.

asajoseph

Established Member
teitzo said:
I can't believe we are considering selling viera, especially when the price has halved since last year!! maybe if we sold him for 30m, then we may be able to get a decent replacment.

If we keep him, eventually he will leave for nothing, which won't go anywhere when it comes to signing a replacement. The price isn't really relevant though - if he wants to go, or if Adams was right (and there were lots of rumours about him refusing a medical on his knee last summer), then we should let him go and move on.

One day, Vieira will go. I think he'll be back to his best next season, but Wenger's the man to make that judgement.

KingReyes

Established Member
Can this Diarra guy really replace Vieira? My concerns are as follows. is Diarra as inspirational as Vieira is to the up and coming players like Cesc, RVP etc. Can Diarra take control of a game like Vieira can when it needs to. And finally does Diarra intend to quit international football for Mali because I don't want to see him playing elsewhere for 4 weeks of the season in the African nations cup rather than leaving us with a problem in central midfield because of it.

IMO unless we replace him with proven quality then we will be making a mistake selling him if you are to believe what the papers are saying that we are ready to let him go.

nidza7

Established Member
Is Lyon willing to even talk about selling Diarra?

He`s one fantastic player for them.With a possible Essien departure to Chelsea,chance that Gerrard Hullier sell Diarra is slim IMO. :roll:

bluey

Once again the Vieira soap opera runs on. Year after year there is a story about him leaving. Quite frankly, he was poor last season and in the cup final he was non-existent. There were too many poor games and it always looked like his mind was elsewhere. Nevertheless I can't believe we will sell him bearing in mind last season's saga.

sienna

Shouldn't we already have a replacement lined up for Vieira if we were to sell him? If Lyon won't sell Diarra then what's the point of selling Vieira? We'd then be scrambling in getting a replacement.

ukmikeyy

My personal opinion on this is that, Arsenal will sell Viera if someone meets there valuation of him, around 14 to 16 million. The thing im thinking though is that everyone seems to think Arsène will then go for Diarra, im not so sure myself, i think he will put Hleb alongside Gilberto, will Freddie on the right.

Remember when Viera was on is way last year, who was Arsène mostly linked with, Hleb. I think he wants him in a central midfield role with fabregas and flamini as back up. And think about it guys, all are German football experts on here, say Hleb isn't a winger, he prefers a central role, and thats his best position, central midfield, and would freddie really stay at Arsenal if he thought he was going to be mostly on the bench, i dont think so, it was freddie who bemoaned Arsenal's lack of ambition I dont see Arsène swapping Hleb with Freddie, i see him swapping him with Viera. Maybe we have all misjudged Hlebs possible position next year, we have been so used to having two DMC in midfield for so long, maybe Arsène feels we need more drive in midfield.

I think Viera wants to go, but is being quiet, especially after last year, (hence him training alone in France which is strange in itself). I think his destination will be Real Madrid, who i think will make a late bid, in cash.

As for Diarra id love to see him at Highbury but i dont think Lyon will sell, they dont need the money, French football has just signed a mega bucks TV deal so French football is getting stronger financially, hence Lyon fighting off Chlesea for Essien to stay, if Diarra had a reasonable clause in his contract, and was such a star, wouldn't Real, Juventus, Man utd, or Chelsea have bid for him by now, they all need midfielders, why pay £26 million for Essien, when you could pay £6million for Diarra :roll: . (Who by the way Ray Houghton believes is a great player, and Ray is usually a good judge of a player he doesn't praise anyone unless he truly believes they are talented.)

To sum up, i think Viera will go, but we won't buy Diarra, we will simply replace Viera with Hleb, in my humble opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I knew we were very different, that he (Ferguson) had a total hold over his club while at that time I was still more of a coach. I also recognised his huge qualities. He knew how to surround himself with the right people and didn't rest on his laurels when he was successful.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom