• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,775
  • Views 1,157,807

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
akhil said:
Ainsley Maitland Niles goal for the U21's against Stoke is a stunner by the way. The highlights are up on Arsenal Player.

I don't get why Hayden hasn't been on the bench these past few weeks considering we're so short on bodies at the back. He's primarily a midfielder as well I think.

:shock:

InfatuatedPlasticKudu.gif

Iceman10

Established Member
Bellerin, Hayden, and Akpom added to the formal first team list.
<a class="postlink" href="http://arsenalyouth.wordpress.com/2014/10/27/arsenal-promote-bellerin-hayden-and-akpom-to-first-team-squad/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://arsenalyouth.wordpress.com/2014/ ... eam-squad/</a>?

BobP

Memri Fan
Iceman10 said:
<a class="postlink" href="http://arsenalyouth.wordpress.com/2014/10/27/arsenal-promote-bellerin-hayden-and-akpom-to-first-team-squad/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://arsenalyouth.wordpress.com/2014/ ... eam-squad/</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

Could be a token move I mean Zelalem is on there and yet he rarely ever plays.

Enfield

Established Member
Do any of these guys ever show a bit of attitude. Anyone get into a shoving match or a tough retribution tackle or even get sent off for for something other than 2 yellows in a non-contact manner

Iceman10

Established Member
BobP said:
Iceman10 said:
<a class="postlink" href="http://arsenalyouth.wordpress.com/2014/10/27/arsenal-promote-bellerin-hayden-and-akpom-to-first-team-squad/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://arsenalyouth.wordpress.com/2014/ ... eam-squad/</a>

Could be a token move I mean Zelalem is on there and yet he rarely ever plays.

We'll have to see for Bellerin, I think he has a future and will gradually become a part of the first team squad as this season progresses although AW will likely work him in slowly mainly in home games first (his appearance at Dortmund was more as an emergency stand in). His last appearance (vs. Hull @ the Emirates) calmed a few concerns I've had over readiness of his defensive game for the top level but he has to be managed carefully, building up his confidence over time.

Hayden & Akpom: not so sure, both could do with loans as they are unlikely to see much first team match time with us for the time being, Akpom definitely should be loaned out, Hayden should be freed up if we do what we are supposed to do in the Jan window, i.e. bring in the replacement for Vermaelen we didn't bring in during the summer window.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I think Bellerin has the strongest opportunity to play his way into first team contention. Hayden and Akpom, not so much. They need loans ASAP, and I can only think Wenger wants to keep a closer eye on them rather than send them off to play for a team that doesn't share the attacking philosophy or is unlikely to give them a sustained run in the team. Much like Gnabry has never been loaned.

Bellerin has attributes that could be incredibly useful to us in terms of how he attacks. He makes very good underlapping runs as well as on the outside and he is technically very capable. If he can build upon his defensive game, he'll be a valuable squad member soon enough.

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm intrigued by our defensive midfield at youth level. Hayden and Kamara spent a lot of time there last season, as well as Olsson (who's on loan), but this season it's been Zelalem and Maitland-Niles playing as our deeper-lying midfielders, with Crowley tending to be in front of them. We've known about Zelalem playing as a deeper CM, but I'm still unsure as to what they have planned for Maitland-Niles. He's a skilled attacker, but I wonder if his defensive game was developed, what kind of CM he would be? His development interests me the most, probably even more than Crowley.

KY

Established Member
Bearing in mind that Afobe is having a great spell on loan, I'm curious what Wenger has in mind for Afobe, Sanogo and Akpom. the 3 of them are surely fighting it out for one spot on the squad.

Iceman10

Established Member
KY said:
Bearing in mind that Afobe is having a great spell on loan, I'm curious what Wenger has in mind for Afobe, Sanogo and Akpom. the 3 of them are surely fighting it out for one spot on the squad.

Wouldn't rule it out for Afobe, injury has set his development back after promise earlier and he is now already 21, doing well on loan, albeit playing for a League One side at a level he is probably too good for. Although I would like to see him step up a tier to the Championship for the second half of the season it appears our agreement with MK Dons is for the whole season and it is unlikely we will renege on that. He should have a decent career ahead of him regardless. In terms of those three players duking it out for one spot, it is indeed difficult to tell and there are decisions to be made regarding loans of Akpom and Sanogo to avoid stagnation.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Iceman10 said:
KY said:

Wouldn't rule it out for Afobe, injury has set his development back after promise earlier and he is now already 21, doing well on loan, albeit playing for a League One side at a level he is probably too good for. Although I would like to see him step up a tier to the Championship for the second half of the season it appears our agreement with MK Dons is for the whole season and it is unlikely we will renege on that. He should have a decent career ahead of him regardless. In terms of those three players duking it out for one spot, it is indeed difficult to tell and there are decisions to be made regarding loans of Akpom and Sanogo to avoid stagnation.

Afobe is starting to become a more dangerous forward in a competitive setting which is good for him. Not sure it will be enough to keep him at Arsenal.

Akpom is being seen favorably it seems, and he is probably the most naturally talented and hungry out of the 3, but he's also the youngest and is still very untested competitively. Desperately needs proper game time.

IMO, it's there for the taking as far as Sanogo is concerned. Wenger likes him, bought him despite his injuries and has played him in some of our biggest games last season, including the FA Cup Final - our biggest game. Sanogo will get more opportunities than the other two simply because Wenger likes him more. Whether that's deserved or not is really a matter of opinion. Sanogo does have more top-flight experience than Akpom, and more tournament/big game experience than Afobe. I suppose the question is then: If the currency of our strikers are goals, then who's the most dangerous in front of the goal?

But CFs do have to be multidynamic, so which of them can have a more rounded game and still be a threat in terms of scoring goals?

If I had to pick, it would be Akpom.

Iceman10

Established Member
I would say Akpom also, as you say he appears to have the most potential in terms of being a complete striker to be able to make it in a very demanding Premier League. Although Sanogo is currently ahead of him in AW's mind it is difficult to see game time after us going out of the Capital One Cup and AW is under pressure to get our season on track with a decent run of results. AW gave him a chance early in the season but he failed to take it and fans don't have much patience on the back of all the chances squandered at Leicester.

If it was me I would look to Giroud's return from injury in the New Year, add him with Walcott/Sanchez for insurance behind Welbeck for CF, and therefore loan both Sanogo and Akpom out for the second half of the season.

a_fourteen

Established Member
We've never brought through a striker from the academy.
Simpson, JET, Afobe all have drifted away and into mediocrity.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I'm looking forward to seeing the highlights of the u21s vs Middlesborough.

Crowley scored a brace. Right now he looks like the best player for the reserves.

error_prone

BobP said:
Some of our players are clearly a level above U21, should definitely be going out on loan.
Well he just stepped into U21 and you never know what's going to happen on loan, best example is Olson, ruined his year with that idiotic loan deal in Denmark. Bellerin last year also had tough time on loan after they changed manager

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Crowley has to stay in U21 for a while. The kids on form but his game (and physique) isn't quite complete. He will be a fabulous player though.

Pretty much like Zelalem. Very talented but still a bit to learn.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Crowley looks better than Wilshere was at the same age IMO, for what it's worth. He's a No.10, will always be a No.10, and I hope Wenger doesn't piss around 'educating' him by using him any other way.

Bigbludfire

Established Member
The Jury said:
Crowley looks better than Wilshere was at the same age IMO, for what it's worth. He's a No.10, will always be a No.10, and I hope Wenger doesn't piss around 'educating' him by using him any other way.

It's definitely starting to look that way. I just worry for his height because he looks extremely small, but hopefully he grows to 5'6/7+

a_fourteen

Established Member
You can never tell how a player turns out based on their performances aged 15-20 years. Cesc and Wilshere were really the only two who fulfilled that promise. At 15 people we hailing Aneke as technical perfection and he's now hoofing around in Belgium. Before him it was Quincy. And before that Bentley. The list of failed prodigies is a long one.

Arsenal Quotes

You kind of never leave Arsenal. How many comebacks do you make? At one point it will turn out to be a bad move. We all love the first Rocky but I'm not too sure about the last one.

Thierry Henry

Latest posts

Top Bottom