• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,775
  • Views 1,161,626

a_fourteen

Established Member
MutableEarth said:
http://player.arsenal.com/player/5715-under-21s-v-brighton-a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The goals. 2nd goal is a good finish. Thoughts, guys?
give me your arsenal player password and I'll give you my thoughts.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Akpom will be the best English striker in 3 years, he's unbelievable Jeff.

BobP

Memri Fan
Do you guys think Wenger is holding him back because he thinks he's ready for appearances in the first team right now? That's the only thing I can think of as not sending him out on loan is illogical.

Toast

Established Member
BobP said:
Do you guys think Wenger is holding him back because he thinks he's ready for appearances in the first team right now? That's the only thing I can think of as not sending him out on loan is illogical.

There's nothing to indicate Akpom is seen as a (potential) member of the first team at this point in time. He's behind Giroud, Welbeck and Sanogo (and probably Sanchez/Walcott/Poldi as well) in the pecking order. I'd guess we're probably keeping him here because the club wants him to refine certain aspects of his game. He could certainly do with a loan though.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
THunter said:
Akpom will be the best English striker in 3 years, he's unbelievable Jeff.

People have been kissing Harry Kane's ass all day today, I'm sure that Akpom can do what he's done - just needs opportunity.

Best striker? Has the attributes - but all hypothetical, completely.

BobP said:

Think they want him to go to a team where he's guaranteed game time. That must be the key here. They should have allowed him to go to Millwall though.

Find it interesting that our DM pairing at u21/u19 is Zelalem and Maitland Niles. That's serious banter from the youth coaches :lol:. Both players need to improve their positioning though - what better time to do it than when still 17 years old and in U21s.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
So Chuba Akpom is actually in the last year of his deal and is yet to sign anything.

It would actually be infuriating to see him leave. He will flourish somewhere else, and we'll rue it. Give him some opportunity.

Iceman10

Established Member
MutableEarth said:
So Chuba Akpom is actually in the last year of his deal and is yet to sign anything.

It would actually be infuriating to see him leave. He will flourish somewhere else, and we'll rue it. Give him some opportunity.

Where does he get the opportunity though? The PL is pretty tight outside Chelsea this season and every game makes a big difference in terms of league table places. We're past the era of some league matches being considered routine walkovers. The only chance short term I see is for the trip to Turkey next week although I suspect Sanogo will be in line to get the nod first even if AW goes with squad options.

This is another case of players in the age range 18-21 who often get left in limbo at a level in between reserves and first team instead of being decisively and intelligently loaned out. If Akpom was doing well on loan right now and was happy, being praised by AW regarding his promise, I would have confidence in him renewing a contract, particularly with him only having recently turned 19. Was hoping Andries Jonker would help fix this issue but he only joined us this summer and probably has required some time to settle in.

BobP

Memri Fan
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11281309/Arsenal-news-Arsène-Wenger-hails-young-striker-Chuba-Akpom-and-insists-he-is-close-to-the-first-team.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... -team.html</a>

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
BobP said:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11281309/Arsenal-news-Arsène-Wenger-hails-young-striker-Chuba-Akpom-and-insists-he-is-close-to-the-first-team.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lewis Cook > All 6.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
<a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZc6uP_U6Cs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZc6uP_U6Cs</a>

Maitland-Niles vs Galatasaray.

Decent debut IMO. Very interesting player.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
O'Connor was terrible really. Scuffed everything that came his way, nerves definitely got the better of him, he was all over the place.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Akpom needs to improve his French to stand a chance here. Not even joking. If he was French he'd have 20 odd games under his belt by now.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
The Jury said:
Akpom needs to improve his French to stand a chance here. Not even joking. If he was French he'd have 20 odd games under his belt by now.

Why'd you say that? It's not like Wenger is against giving young English players a chance now is it.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I just can't imagine him being French and not getting a chance by now. It might be something with him and trusting young English strikers. What other explanation can you give for Sanogo constantly being given time over him?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
It's still pretty astounding that Akpom has yet to receive a decent shot for us. It's the general view among Arsenal fans who keep abreast of the youth team that Akpom should at least get a shot if Sanogo gets one. Hence the "French" jibe. I hope he's patient - if he maintains his hunger and keeps playing well and scoring loads, Wenger will HAVE to bring him up. I'd be all for a loan personally, he definitely needs to get one. No point keeping him around just in case Welbeck, Giroud AND Sanogo get injured.

As for O'Connor - I recall nerves getting the better of him in his previous early games for the U18/21s, once he settled down (at CB, mind) he was bossing it at the back. He's one of our better CB prospects I'd say. Dobson looks better in midfield from what I've seen of the U18s.

Zelalem still needs work IMO, his passing is still good and his positioning is marginally better but he's got to get stronger and release the ball quicker. His off the ball player also leaves a lot to be desired. On the ball, he's more than decent.

AMN out of all of them surprisingly has come to the fore as the one with the most opportunity to gain. If he grows more into this DM/CM role that they clearly have mapped out for him, he definitely has a shot.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Akpom's better in front of goal than Welbeck. I'd actually argue he's a better striker period.

a_fourteen

Established Member
The Jury said:
I just can't imagine him being French and not getting a chance by now. It might be something with him and trusting young English strikers. What other explanation can you give for Sanogo constantly being given time over him?
because Sanogo holds the ball up. Nothing else and certainly not because of his being French.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
The Jury said:

You mean young English strikers like Welbeck?

The difference between the PL and reserves is a massive gulf in class. Plus he needs to sign a new contract if he wants a chance, no point putting him in the shop window for other teams. Sanogo looked like an absolute beast at the Under 21 Championships, which is a level above our reserve matches.

Arsenal Quotes

In June 1996, David Dein, Peter Hill-Wood and Danny Fiszman came out to Nagoya to meet me on behalf of Arsenal. Within an hour we came to an agreement. The Japanese directors didn't try to keep hold of me in the usual way but talked with persuasive arguments... But as far as I was concerned, the decision was taken. Arsenal. A decision that would change my life.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom