• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life after Wenger | Ornstein: Arsenal set to appoint Unai Emery

Do you think Emery will get the club back on an upwards trajectory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
i would take any of the managers that routinely win titles and finish above him in the league, dont pretend like you wenger in guys are actually reasonable people not just wenger apologist and fanboys.
so who would qualify under that criterion? SAF is the only one I can think of, or do you want Mourinho?

Hunter Zolomon

so who would qualify under that criterion? SAF is the only one I can think of, or do you want Mourinho?
my bad, you cant think of any manager that has got league titles in the past 5 years that is not mourinho. Not in the italian league, or spanish or german?

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
after seeing moyes take over, you realise how bang average that man utd squad was. Makes you wonder that maybe just maybe, the quality of the manager is more important to the squad than the cost of the team.
Exatly. And, as has been said before, it was almost as is SAF left that squad in that state to bolster his accomplishments. I have always felt that his last season here was far too easy for them. They really were the most rubbish United team to win it.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
I think anyone who is bringing up Diego Simeone has never seen Atletico play. They play the dirtiest brand of football in Europe. Time wasting from the first minute, parking the bus every weekend and resorting to all sorts of underhand tactics to get the advantage.

Appointing him will mean throwing all our footballing principles down the drain. We accuse Chelsea and Jose of parking the bus, but then we'll be just as bad as them. Diego Simeone is a proper scoundrel and the only reason people appreciate him is because he competes against Madrid and Barca and gives them a hard time.

He was found guilty of making the ball boy throw an extra ball on the pitch to stop the opponents counter attack. Would you be happy if we too stated resorting to that sort of stuff at the Emirates? That sort of thug football is everything that we at Arsenal are against. It's also not surprising that premier league's worst behaved player flourished so much under Simeone!

Also, it's not like Atletico are not guilty of splashing cash in the Transfer window. Everyone just likes to pretend they are the poor Robinhood competing against the rich. It looks that way from the outside just because Madrid and Barcelona are extremely wealthy. Atletico will be moving to a new stadium soon.

Allegri, Sampaoli and Löw are the type of managers we should be after. Guys who make their teams play football and not just employ thuggish tactics.

Thanks
Watching them in Europe I've never found Atletico to be boring, very solid defensively and fantastic on the counter. They create so many turnovers because they are a fantastic tackling side and they move the ball quickly from there. And if I'm honest I think our football is overrated, how many times have we gone in at half time without having had a shot on target? Pretty often, we do come up with some nice stuff but I find our style too passive most of the time. Our midfield is completely brittle.

And tbh I don't really give a **** about the gamesmanship (within reason) if we're winning titles and competing for CL's. All the best sides have that bit of nastiness within them. You won't win titles with a team of fanny's, the invincible's had Vieira, Lauren, Keown etc. who were all bastards. But they were our bastards! So it was ok.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Watching them in Europe I've never found Atletico to be boring, very solid defensively and fantastic on the counter. They create so many turnovers because they are a fantastic tackling side and they move the ball quickly from there. And if I'm honest I think our football is overrated, how many times have we gone in at half time without having had a shot on target? Pretty often, we do come up with some nice stuff but I find our style too passive most of the time. Our midfield is completely brittle.

And tbh I don't really give a **** about the gamesmanship (within reason) if we're winning titles and competing for CL's. All the best sides have that bit of nastiness within them. You won't win titles with a team of fanny's, the invincible's had Vieira, Lauren, Keown etc. who were all bastards. But they were our bastards! So it was ok.

I'd love for us to revert back to power football. And though I disagree with what Simeone did re the ballboy/counter thing, if he had done it whilst being our manager we'd all (if not most) be bigging it up with laughs.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Athletico aren't boring it's true , extremely good technical side coming forward when they want to be .

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
forget other teams - I want to see our Arsenal playing consistently at their best, instead of half the team going walk about whenever they want to

we need to be more analytical of the opposition, and more flexible in picking the best team game by game - Wenger has made some effective substitutions in recent games, but too late to rescue a deficit caused by not picking the best starting team

and if that means dropping a star player or two, so be it - if Rooney and Aguero and Zlatan can warm the bench, so can Alexis and Özil

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
I'd love it if we could get a manager that could come in and give the team some shape & bite. We've been playing what looks off the cuff for years. Furthermore, the new manager could start by building a solid midfield capable of containing, transitioning & supporting.

It would be absolutely beautiful to see an Arsenal team that had structure, poise and defensive solidity. Sure we want to play attacking football but you have to have a solid base - something which we haven't had for a decade.

Also get some effing beef in the team - the lightweight midgets don't work in this league.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think we need a manager who has Champions League experience. We need a manager who has experience using different formations and is tactically efficient. A manager who gets the best out of his players regardless of the transfer fee and who looks to buy players for specific reasons.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I think we need a manager who has Champions League experience. We need a manager who has experience using different formations and is tactically efficient. A manager who gets the best out of his players regardless of the transfer fee and who looks to buy players for specific reasons.
Yes, a manager who knows that a formation CAN and MUST be changed when you play in different competitions, on different surfaces, against different teams, against different managers, when we have injuries, when things don't go our way or simply any other bloody reasonable moment that calls for it.

When you fail to adapt to the enviroment around you, then that enviroment will destroy you. Each game is a new enviroment.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
no one has more CL experience than Wenger - playing in it, that is

winning is of course another matter

Enfield

Established Member
In terms of our squad I think it needs very little work. What we are missing is a bit of steely determination to win and a never say die attitude. Last Saturday looked like the players were resigned to their faith. A tactically astute manager, who isn’t afraid to let players out considering he doesn’t have to admit defeat by doing so, would invigorate our lads no end.

The whole benefit of having someone like Wenger in charge is that all his players are technically good and adaptable to different positions. Hence they would be a good squad to inherit.

Malky

Established Member
Hate this argument that we shouldn't get Simeone or Allegri because they're " too defensive minded " **** off, is this because they actualy deploy tactics in big games, instead of turning up and get turned over because they refuse to alter the system or the personal for the occasion?

GDeep™

League is very weak
I appreciate all sorts of football, 90's Italian maybe being my favourite.

That said, think the 'exciting football' argument is fair, it's what pulled so many fans in for us, it's what packed out our stadium many years, it's what help build our modern image.

Exciting football is maybe part of our DNA now. We can't be like Utd, from the excitement of Ferguson to the absolutely dreadful trash you see them play now, I can't watch a Utd game, it's filth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

If you eat caviar everyday, it's difficult to return to sausages

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom