• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Francis Coquelin: No Longer Needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and Juventus wouldn't even entertain the idea of a player like Coquelin being in their reserves. Their destroyer/box-to-box midfielders actually do a lot more than just make the odd tackle and actually take responsibility in terms of building the attack. Vidal, Casimeiro and Khedira are the calibre we should be looking at to partner Xhaka, giving him Coquelin is just putting a noose around his neck.

Don't agree. Coquelin has the ingredients to do a job there and an adequate one at that. What he lacks, like most our midfielders lack, is the understanding of how to play in a system. That's not down to Coquelin's ability, it's down to the man that prepares the team. The fact we get done like this in every big game regardless of our 11 should be enough proof that it's the coaching that is failing, not the individuals.

As for Casimeiro, he was not rated at all by Madrid fans for some time and was seen as a questionable signing. He's since found his role and performed under Zidane but it wasn't too long ago the most optimistic of Madrid fans would have been telling you, like Arsenal fans do about Coq, that he's nowhere near good enough.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Many players may improve under new management but this guy is simply not good enough. Useful squaddie for specific situations I guess.

Who added 'little' to the thread title?:lol:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

One trick Robben who has done that for the past 10 years now against some of the worlds best fullbacks, let alone midfielders.

It was a clear lapse of concentration from Coq, almost as though he mixed up Robben's stronger foot, but to suggest that it is easy stopping Robben from cutitng inside is just wrong.
This was different.

Robben does his one trick by slowing down a defender before running at him with pace while dribbling the ball at a high frequency (taking many touches as he dribbles). When he does this it's very hard to stop him as the defender often ends up back-pedalling, unbalanced and can't nip the ball cleanly.

This was different: Coquelin actually showed him inside ffs. :lol:

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
This was different.

Robben does his one trick by slowing down a defender before running at him with pace while dribbling the ball at a high frequency (taking many touches as he dribbles). When he does this it's very hard to stop him as the defender often ends up back-pedalling, unbalanced and can't nip the ball cleanly.

This was different: Coquelin actually showed him inside ffs. :lol:

Yeah showing him inside was criminal, I do admit. Just don't think we should sell Robben's one trick short. For years now I've heard the whole 'Robben only has 1 trick' as though he will soon be found out, but he gets away with it time and time again.

All I can think of is that Coq had a brain fart and mixed up his strong feet. He actually jumps across out of nowhere to stop him from going onto his right.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Defiantly an error but showing him outside wont be as ingrained as with a fullback or wide player defending.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Yeah showing him inside was criminal, I do admit. Just don't think we should sell Robben's one trick short. For years now I've heard the whole 'Robben only has 1 trick' as though he will soon be found out, but he gets away with it time and time again.

All I can think of is that Coq had a brain fart and mixed up his strong feet. He actually jumps across out of nowhere to stop him from going onto his right.

I didn't mean it in a bad way. In fact I actually admire Robben for it, he's found one thing that he does incredibly well and he runs with it. He knows his game and limitations and he's mastered it.

He's the Michael Buffer of football, he's made $400 million just from saying "Let's get ready to rumble" before a fight. That sh*t deserves respect.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Many players may improve under new management but this guy is simply not good enough. Useful squaddie for specific situations I guess.

Who added 'little' to the thread title?:lol:

Yeah let's not act like Coquelin is being held back by the manager, if not for Wenger he wouldn't even be at a top club now. Sometimes he puts too much faith in these players who really are not worth the trust.

I can't even be too mad at Coquelin really, he had no business starting today.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
Yeah let's not act like Coquelin is being held back by the manager, if not for Wenger he wouldn't even be at a top club now. Sometimes he puts too much faith in these players who really are not worth the trust.

I can't even be too mad at Coquelin really, he had no business starting today.

This is complete nonsense. He was superb when he first came into the side 2 years ago and had everyone praising him. He was also equally as effective at the start of the following season before his injury and we missed him dearly when he was out.

He's tenacious, gifted at winning the ball back, passionate, energetic and strong in the tackle amongst other things. In the right system, he could be a quality option for the side, but unfortunately at the moment he's just being lumped into the side without any clear guidance it seems.

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
Did people actually watch us play? We were literally uninterested in keeping possession. Bayern apparently had 500 more passes than us. That's more that 40 passes more for each of their players in comparison to ours.

1st half aside, we were playing like a championship side sniffing around for a lucky break. The inclusion of Coquelin had very little to do with that. We were poverty as a team in general. Even those who seemed like they were trying had absolutely no effect on the rest of the team.

GunnerGetYah

Established Member
This guy is far too inconsistent and lacks discipline and focus. We need a strong midfield general to lead the midfield. This is our biggest weakness right now.

Hyruga

Coq is poor at ball possession and dribbling. That's his weakest attributes.

Elneny or Ramsey would have done better in that aspects although they will be woeful in other aspects. Can't expect much when you have players who hardly return to defending.

Last edited:

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
This guy is far too inconsistent and lacks discipline and focus. We need a strong midfield general to lead the midfield. This is our biggest weakness right now.

No, it's not.

Our weakness is the sides mentality and the way we are set up. I have no doubt that a top class modern manager could come in and achieve results with the same side we have at our disposal.

Sykes

Sorry but this guy is done...I've defended him, but he needs to get sold. Bagayoko, Fabinho, Seri, Nzonzi, anyone...just replace this guy.

Malky

Established Member
Was livid at the time and still am right now - why the **** have we given him another new contract? Wenger didn't think Denilson was good enough and froze him out the club, he had to go on loan until his contract ran down, yet he was better than Coq who's given another new contract? Coquelin plays at Championship level but get's paid Champions League money when we could of sold him in the summer and easily found an upgrade.
Clubs a ****ing charity for **** players.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

So many better players out there than him. Simple as that really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I believe one of the best things about managing people is that we can influence lives in a positive way. That’s basically what a manager is about. When I can do that, I am very happy.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom