• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jack Wilshere: Where to now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
The best thing about Wilshere is that there's at least a 50% chance that he receives the ball at the half line and tries to move forward with it, instead of just passing it back to whoever gave the ball to him. So tired of seeing the CB's and Xhaka pass the ball to each other.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Wenger on Wilshere.

"I believe he has the basic stamina," Wenger said. "He's like the rest of the team, he was a bit less sharp than on Wednesday night. But overall, what was very positive is he didn't weaken physically at all and still had his presence and his dribble going forward and did a good defensive job as well.

"Overall I must say it's positive he can produce two games of that quality in three days."

Lookin' for a new Baby

New name pending...
Wenger on Wilshere.

"I believe he has the basic stamina," Wenger said. "He's like the rest of the team, he was a bit less sharp than on Wednesday night. But overall, what was very positive is he didn't weaken physically at all and still had his presence and his dribble going forward and did a good defensive job as well.

"Overall I must say it's positive he can produce two games of that quality in three days."
Wenger said we weren't sharp on Wednesday, they all need a bloody sharpener for Christmas. No wait, it will be too late by then.

Impact

Established Member
Another solid performance. He should have scored 2 goals in these past two games. Had he, people would probably be talking about England recalls so maybe for him personally, it's for the best that he didn't.

His burst/dribble is back and that is huge. Also, I think the role he is playing is perfect for him. I have always thought Jack excels as the continuity midfield option. Özil is the main playmaker and Xhaka is the holder while Wilshere connects them both and connects with the attack.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
I'd hope not. I really hope Wenger is watching Pep rip up the league with fast attacking extremely organised football and adopts the same principles.

LOL Wenger has been trying to play attacking football in this league for YEARS. Ended up with players with broken legs and the English media saying his squad wasn't "tough enough." Get the **** out of here. If anything, that's what pisses me off the most with this Pep and attacking football infatuation.

pacstud

We extend and he'll still be better than Elneny, Coquelin and the other average players we have in our squad. Extending Wilshere is an absolute no brainer and no risk what so ever considering the amount of deadwood we currently have at our club. Wilshere isn't one of those.

I don't think Wilshere's ever had a drop in play. He's got nothing to prove apart from trying his best to avoid impact injuries because his feet are too quick for the slow idiots trying to tackle him.
While the "drop in play" probability is low, it's still there. The far more real concern is obviously health. A big resign followed by heavy doses of missed play would not be good.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

LOL Wenger has been trying to play attacking football in this league for YEARS. Ended up with players with broken legs and the English media saying his squad wasn't "tough enough." Get the **** out of here. If anything, that's what pisses me off the most with this Pep and attacking football infatuation.

That's life isn't though ? Pep's benefitted from the changing attitude of referees more in line with the rest of Europe . Teams could get away with so much more when we were playing with our mosquito fleet . It's no coincidence imo 3 broken legs in 5 years . I'll never forget against West Ham , Hleb nearly had his ankle broken in the box and the ref waved play on .

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
That's life isn't though ? Pep's benefitted from the changing attitude of referees more in line with the rest of Europe . Teams could get away with so much more when we were playing with our mosquito fleet . It's no coincidence imo 3 broken legs in 5 years . I'll never forget against West Ham , Hleb nearly had his ankle broken in the box and the ref waved play on .

Paddy ****ing McNair.
The **** who ruined Diaby.
Same for the **** who ruined Eduardo.
God damn Shawcross.

This player just oozes class when he is on it. Saturday he was good. Not amazing but he is showing he can still be part of this team and has the quality needed for a top team.
Tough call though. History shows us he can't be relied upon. Yet there is something there worth taking a risk on.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I watched this game with the one and only West Ham fan I know in SA. He almost seemed more aggrieved by it than I was. I'll never forget what he said afterwards as well, "You know you guys have been amazing and there have been so many points stolen from you due to complete thuggery in the sport which is over looked by refs".

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
Big question is whether he gets the nod for Liverpool or if Wenger brings Coquelin in for solidity.
I hope not. Wilshere definitely needs to start against Liverpool - he's the only midfielder we have that I back being able to handle Liverpool's press. If anyone gets dropped for Coquelin or Elneny it should be Xhaka, I can definitely see him struggling and giving it away in key areas. Wilshere, on the other hand, I'm already envisioning gliding away from Henderson and Chamberlain with one deft movement.

Reactions: A_G

IslingtonBornandbred

Not a fan of that cretin DT however interesting reaction from Jacky boy! My take is he's basically waiting for the contract offer but hes like "what are you waiting for" sort of thing. Seems a bit down....i.e raised eyebrows, tone of voice "if I'm offered it".

And before someone chimes in with he doesn't deserve it etc, I've seen the club give new contracts to Diaby who may as well had one leg, Cazorla with most of his achilles chopped off, Rosicky who couldn't play more than 5 games a year, Yaya pissing Sanogo and a whole host of others. Probably not wise to start playing the tough guy with an actual player who can offer something to the first team and is on the same level if not better than a first team regular like Ramsey.

Relic

https://news.sky.com/story/jack-wil...a-new-contract-can-be-finalised-soon-11178647

*Jack Wilshere wants to stay at Arsenal and hopes a new contract can be agreed on and finalised.

Arsène Wenger confirmed last week that contract talks had begun over a new deal for Wilshere, who has made 15 appearances in all competitions for the Gunners this season after returning from a long-term injury at the start of August.

Former Arsenal forward Charlie Nicholas told The Debate last week that the 25-year-old should run his contract down, but Wilshere insists he wants to remain at the North London club.

"I definitely want to be here," he exclusively told Sky Sports News ahead of Arsenal's Friday Night Football fixture against Liverpool."

"I'm enjoying my football and I love playing in the Premier League now and I want to help Arsenal get to where they should be.

"We just have to sort things out and I'm sure that will happen in the next couple of weeks and it will be sorted."

And with his injury track record in mind, Wilshere says the most important aspect of his career is playing matches and hopes to get into Gareth Southgate's 2018 World Cup squad.

He added: "The biggest thing for any footballer, and even more so for me because of the games missed in the past, is that you are playing.

"Apart from that, there's small things to sort out but as long as I'm playing then I'm happy. I've missed too much football and I just want to be playing.

"I think I've proved to myself that I can play in the Premier League and I trust my body again and that I can affect games. I can have a positive effect on this team and then maybe we'll see if the England manager picks me.

"I'm just focused on the game on Friday, I'm in a good place mentally at the minute. I want to continue improving my form, affecting the team and help to get into the top four and challenge for trophies."*

infinium

I think it is more than just changes in refereeing standards. I think Guardiola's experience as a top level player helps here too.

My example is always Wilshere. For years we saw him doing these daring direct runs and constantly being clattered. It never seemed to occur to coaching staff that they should work with Wilshere to adapt his game to avoid those situations (release the ball quicker, use your right foot instead of the left always, etc). Here I think Guardiola's playing experience would greatly help.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I think it is more than just changes in refereeing standards. I think Guardiola's experience as a top level player helps here too.

My example is always Wilshere. For years we saw him doing these daring direct runs and constantly being clattered. It never seemed to occur to coaching staff that they should work with Wilshere to adapt his game to avoid those situations (release the ball quicker, use your right foot instead of the left always, etc). Here I think Guardiola's playing experience would greatly help.

Jack never used to do that in his break through season with us . It's a habit he got into later on . Mate I am pretty sure the coaching staff are aware of this .

infinium

Jack never used to do that in his break through season with us . It's a habit he got into later on . Mate I am pretty sure the coaching staff are aware of this .
Aware, sure, but what effective schemes did they have to do something about it? It wasn't just Jack but other players as well. They may have recognised the problems but they seemed to have no solution. It is only a small technical thing but it could have made a massive difference in Wenger's midfield transforming from a nice group of talent to an effective winning machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsène Wenger's idea is not only to play good football. It's to play good football to win. In my day, we knew that with our style we could hurt teams and win trophies too. But we did it our way, with the positional game, passing, movement.

Dennis Bergkamp

Latest posts

Top Bottom