• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jack Wilshere: Where to now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IslingtonBornandbred

What are we waiting for FFS? give him a new contact.

He can play every game until January, sign a contract and then break his leg. Same as Özil...he can sign a massive new contract then snap his ligaments and be out for a year.

Don't you know Wenger likes to wait and wait until it's too late? False sense of belief imo that every player thinks Arsenal is such a great option and they won't go elsewhere. We've seen with Ox that's not the case.

Wilshere has been very honest in recent weeks stating nobody has spoken to him about a new contract. Not even a word. You can't blame him for thinking he's not wanted. Wenger may want to keep him but he's not showing it.

It wouldn't be a surprise to find out Wenger does want to keep him but is then disappointed when he signs a pre contract in January with Marseille or similar. Moral of the story....get the deal done before he can talk with other clubs, if not, don't cry like a baby when he leaves on a free.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
One of our better players tonight. I didn't think I'd be saying this a few weeks ago but right now he's the best fit for our midfield imo. He doesn't fly forward like our other midfielders, and when he is in forward positions his retention is better than Xhaka and Ramsey's. One massive issue with our midfield is their positioning when we lose the ball, but Jack tends to not get caught up the field, unlike the other two.

BobP

Memri Fan
I said this in the match thread but Wenger was right when he said he was an attacking midfielder.

I feel like the responsibilities of playing as a CM don't align well with Wilshere's skillset.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

He's not even at full capacity right now, it's going to take a good few games before we see his true ability. Seems like we say this every time he comes back but if he can stay injury free his ability will dwarf the rest of our CM options.

Yeah exactly just three or four league games , that's a heck of a lot of upside to come .

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
I said this in the match thread but Wenger was right when he said he was an attacking midfielder.

I feel like the responsibilities of playing as a CM don't align well with Wilshere's skillset.
I disagree. He's never been productive enough to play as an attacking midfielder, at least not so far.

What I've seen recently is what I want from a central midfielder - a good range and variety of passing along with penetrative dribbling to help transition to our attack, and maybe more importantly he isn't getting caught way up the field like Xhaka and Ramsey do so often. He has a decent awareness of where he should be as a midfielder.

BobP

Memri Fan
I disagree. He's never been productive enough to play as an attacking midfielder, at least not so far.

What I've seen recently is what I want from a central midfielder - a good range and variety of passing along with penetrative dribbling to help transition to our attack, and maybe more importantly he isn't getting caught way up the field like Xhaka and Ramsey do so often. He has a decent awareness of where he should be as a midfielder.

You're right in the sense that he's more disciplined, in a positional sense, than Ramsey.

Thing is, he can't defend, he's quite lazy when it comes to that.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Decent performance and I liked how he showed good dicispline and positional awareness, a difficult job in this team. Really liked the moment late in the game when he made surging run back to dispossess Mane (I think it was) who looked to be going clear on goal.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Actually, watching Jack lately, I still think it`s possible him and Ramsey could form an effective partnership. Wilshere is less gung-ho than he used to and has showed good tactical discipline.
He has certainly showed enough to warrant a new deal imo.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
You're right in the sense that he's more disciplined, in a positional sense, than Ramsey.

Thing is, he can't defend, he's quite lazy when it comes to that.
I disagree again! He's never going to be a defensive beast, he hasn't got the legs and he's weak in the tackle, but he's doing absolutely fine. Defensively I would argue that he's doing better than both Xhaka and Ramsey, he's certainly on par with them.

One of our biggest issues defensively as a team is how easily we're countered, because our midfielders are given too much freedom and fly out of position. Wilshere doesn't really do that though.

Erlis

Only Came To See Granit Xhaka

I have to watch the game once more in order to give an opinion. I wasn't focused on him a lot, I can't remember most of what he did, therefore.

juice man

Can't make his mind up

Been clear since he was a teenager that he's an attacking midfielder IMO.

Its all for nothing unless he can stay injury free.
Come on Jacky, you can do it.

Last edited:

nick gould

Decent performance and I liked how he showed good dicispline and positional awareness, a difficult job in this team. Really liked the moment late in the game when he made surging run back to dispossess Mane (I think it was) who looked to be going clear on goal.
My stream kept freezing but from the little I saw he is quite promising. The boy/man is deceptively quick as well but it’s not easy to tell due to length (or lack of it) of his legs and running style. I saw him match a decent runner toe to toe and felt proud. I would keep in place of Ramsey or in rotation with Ramsey. He cares about controlling the game and positioning and fans like him. That is a plus.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
The important thing for jack is he look fully sharp getting back to his best will be just matter of time

BobP

Memri Fan
I disagree again! He's never going to be a defensive beast, he hasn't got the legs and he's weak in the tackle, but he's doing absolutely fine. Defensively I would argue that he's doing better than both Xhaka and Ramsey, he's certainly on par with them.

One of our biggest issues defensively as a team is how easily we're countered, because our midfielders are given too much freedom and fly out of position. Wilshere doesn't really do that though.

Probably unfair on Xhaka because he has so much space to cover but Ramsey is relentless when we're not in possession, reckless but relentless. He invaluable in that sense.

I prefer the two midfielders to have keen defensive instincts I suppose. If we played with a midfield 3 I could probably cop Wilshere, but not in a two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I believe one of the best things about managing people is that we can influence lives in a positive way. That’s basically what a manager is about. When I can do that, I am very happy.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom