• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
For me he has not met expectations and the only time he has noticeably given 100% and carried our team to an extent was in the lead up to his Xmas contract and injury last season. Apart from that he has given closer to 75% than a 100% (I think he struggles with motivational issues)

If we had done more in the summer window than just buy a gk in 15/16(or even strengthened in january), Özil would have been the main man in a title winning side and the narrative would have been totally different, he was performing as one of the best players in the league at the time. He's been inconsistent, but has had plenty of periods of good performances here and I'd argue his best form as a footballer individually has been with us.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

If we had done more in the summer window than just buy a gk in 15/16(or even strengthened in january), Özil would have been the main man in a title winning side and the narrative would have been totally different, he was performing as one of the best players in the league at the time. He's been inconsistent, but has had plenty of periods of good performances here and I'd argue his best form as a footballer individually has been with us.

Yup agree ,Özil that season was superlative , as he was in the first 6 months of 13/14 . He was decent in a new role in 16/17 scoring double figures .

James Bond

Moderation Consultant

As would the narrative for Wenger, but we didnt win the league, so sadly both Özil and the club are left with it all to prove still.

You helped describe Özil's 'narrative' in your last sentence in that he can be good in flashes here and there within each individual game and over stretches of the season, but as of now that doesnt look to be enough to get Arsenal the title. Due to this its up to him, and him only, to rewrite things and show he can be consistent, he can be the difference for Arsenal on a regular basis and be the main man in a title winning side.

Arsenal Football Club has finished miles off 1st and outside the top 4 two seasons in a row (bottling the chance at a EL final along the way). We're drifting away from the top of football/being seen as a top club tbf. Again we need EVERYONE at the club, top to bottom, to be better than they have been recently as nobody was good enough clearly.

With our ownership model we aren't going to get Madrid Galacticos/City level investment, so a player (or ex manager) that needs (needed) that level of people around them to shine aren't helpful to the cause currently. Again making excuses for underperformance and an inability to adapt to the modern football landscape is what has helped get us in the mess as a club (ie Wenger), so its time 'supporters' stopped trying to do the same for their favorite players.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
As would the narrative for Wenger, but we didnt win the league, so sadly both Özil and the club are left with it all to prove still.

You helped describe Özil's 'narrative' in your last sentence in that he can be good in flashes here and there within each individual game and over stretches of the season, but as of now that doesnt look to be enough to get Arsenal the title. Due to this its up to him, and him only, to rewrite things and show he can be consistent, he can be the difference for Arsenal on a regular basis and be the main man in a title winning side.

Arsenal Football Club has finished miles off 1st and outside the top 4 two seasons in a row (bottling the chance at a EL final along the way). We're drifting away from the top of football/being seen as a top club tbf. Again we need EVERYONE at the club, top to bottom, to be better than they have been recently as nobody was good enough clearly.

With our ownership model we aren't going to get Madrid Galacticos/City level investment, so a player (or ex manager) that needs (needed) that level of people around them to shine aren't helpful to the cause currently. Again making excuses for underperformance and an inability to adapt to the modern football landscape is what has helped get us in the mess as a club (ie Wenger), so its time 'supporters' stopped trying to do the same for their favorite players.
Agreed. But I'd be severely underwhelmed if I had to support just Mkhi Auba and Lacazette as our forward line

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Yup agree ,Özil that season was superlative , as he was in the first 6 months of 13/14 . He was decent in a new role in 16/17 scoring double figures .

He and Alexis linked up so well for the first part of the 16/17 season with Alexis as the CF. I thought he was on the verge of becoming a 20 goal a season midfielder with the way he was going about things up until about December. Then the whole team just dropped off.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Hes been a good player overall. I just dont think he can be considered world or top class based on his time here..

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
He and Alexis linked up so well for the first part of the 16/17 season with Alexis as the CF. I thought he was on the verge of becoming a 20 goal a season midfielder with the way he was going about things up until about December. Then the whole team just dropped off.

Cazorla getting injured ruined that season, we were looking so good early if I remember right.

SomGooner

Prolific Liker

Most guys in this thread would have you believe that Özil is trash and is even below our level.

Also apart from Messi & Ronaldo every player in the world is inconsistent albeit we see and notice Özil's because we are Arsenal fans and watch him week in week out.

Imagine if Hazard was consistent and performed like he does against us every game? KDB started like a house on fire last season and then lost form, and was even out performed by Sane in the second half of the season yet people want to pretend like he's won the title for City.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He linked up better with Giroud in 2015-2016 season tho
his best assists record was with Giroud upfront, which is weird, as people say with a more clinical striker would have gotten more assists but with Alexis & Lacazette upfront he haven't achieved a better assist record.

pikey2000

Most guys in this thread would have you believe that Özil is trash and is even below our level.

Also apart from Messi & Ronaldo every player in the world is inconsistent albeit we see and notice Özil's because we are Arsenal fans and watch him week in week out.

Imagine if Hazard was consistent and performed like he does against us every game? KDB started like a house on fire last season and then lost form, and was even out performed by Sane in the second half of the season yet people want to pretend like he's won the title for City.

His issues are only going to be magnified this season under Emery, under Weng's he was pretty much forgiven his defensive duties and given a free role whereas Emery expects a lot more in terms of work rate, press, defensive contribution, he just doesn't appear to suit our "philosophy" under Emery, can see him riding the bench quite a bit as Emery is clearly a manager who will rotate his side based on performance and the opposition.

None of the above would be that bad if he wasn't far and away our highest paid player.

The other issue he has is the fact he is a victim of his own play style, because he doesn't give you goals on a consistent basis his main barometer for success is assists, which are in themselves not entirely under his control i.e someone else has to convert, so he can have a relatively good game but it can go under the radar if we fail to convert, compare that to some of the other high end attacking players in the league i.e Hazard, Salah, Mane, KBD, Sterling, Alexis and they all provide goals as well as assists, which means their impact on their teams is far greater and also they can have a crap game for 88mins and then pop up with a goal and the overall performance is glossed over (Alexis had many games like that).

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Cazorla getting injured ruined that season, we were looking so good early if I remember right.
That was the biggest sucker punch I have ever experienced as a football supporter. We looked good and there was this huge optimism (even on here strangely enough) which had been carried over from the window and it just felt like our year and them boom... Cazorla goes down and so does our seaosn.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Look at these comments from City fans when Monaco knocked them out of the CL, remind you of anyone?:
I'm a massive massive fan but this season been way below par.
Was worst player on the pitch last night by far.
Don't know what's wrong with him but this season he's been well off the boil.
He was a disgrace yesterday.

Lots of players played badly, however Kev just looked like he didn't give a **** - hard to fathom how a player as good as him can play with such disregard.
You can count on one hand the amount of good games he's had this season
What the **** is wrong with the guy? Both his attitude and his technical competence were so poor last night. No intensity, no press, lost every one on one challenge he had. let players run by him.
No point playing a player in midfield who can't tackle and shirks 50/50's. He has one skill for me his passing. Without that he doesn't actually offer much currently as his goals return is very poor and his passing is off.

Needs benching.
He hid last night. No if and buts or maybes.

He literally stood still in the centre of the pitch at times and in doing so hurt Silva's game as it allowed Monaco to just sit and wait rather than chase our players into space.

The lad needs benching and needs to get his head out of his arse.
After failing to beat Arsenal in two games in April that season:
Soft as ****. Goes missing too often.
Seriously pissed off with him currently.
Jose, in my mind the biggest c*nt in the world, is many many things.
A poor judge of gut and character in a player? No, I guess he probably nailed that one in shipping out KDB

Lovely footballer with the potentially to be absolutely cut-throat.

But has the fight and mentality of a player who should still be at Wolfsburg. Horrendous trait in a player and one even the so called best cannot coach out of him
Very weird footballer. His all-round performances are generally hit or miss or even poor but he can still affect the game anytime because of his unstoppable delivery & killer passing.

Seems like a luxury player rather than someone you should build a team around like Hazard for example.
The new Nasri.

You know you are a fraud when Hazard shows more bite to a 50/50 than you.

Turns up when he feels like it. Passenger
He is the ultimate fan of the invisible man. He's not really here.
A supremely talented player in poor form. I am more worried that he rarely smiles or seems to be enjoying his football.
If you take the name out, could anyone really tell which of the two the comments were for?

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Look at these comments from City fans when Monaco knocked them out of the CL, remind you of anyone?:

If you take the name out, could anyone really tell which of the two the comments were for?
:lol:
He has two major problems : injuries and Inconsistency.

His latest injury probably put paid to any award this season. Time running out for him

SomGooner

Prolific Liker

No way, they can't be talking about KDB; A-M's soon to be Ballon D'or winner.

Bro one thing I've learned over the years that I've been on A-M is that, we love to underrate our players and overrate others.

You know that I've never shied away from calling out any of our players including Mesut, but I feel like there's a witch hunt going on against him, and guys would look for any excuse to bash him which I find pitiful because whether we like it or not, he's an ARSENAL player and plays for the team we claim to support.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

Agreed, the window when we only signed Cech was a real kick in the teeth for all Arsenal fans. Was it down to Wenger, the BoD, both? Guess we'll have to wait for the book. Whoever was at fault, was wrong!

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Agreed, the window when we only signed Cech was a real kick in the teeth for all Arsenal fans. Was it down to Wenger, the BoD, both? Guess we'll have to wait for the book. Whoever was at fault, was wrong!
Sanchez, Cazorla and Özil... We should've done better that season. From my memory, Özil did enjoy having someone like Santi behind him to organize the game and keep the ball as he was focusing more on doing his assisting stuff. I don't think we will find player like Santi anytime soon, but combination of 2 CM's that can hold the ball would bring more out of Özil. Guenduzi and Torreira could probably do the job, but they are not playing together and there is still huge problem with Ramsey and his position in this team. I expect this will be resolved by Christmas.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Sanchez, Cazorla and Özil... We should've done better that season. From my memory, Özil did enjoy having someone like Santi behind him to organize the game and keep the ball as he was focusing more on doing his assisting stuff. I don't think we will find player like Santi anytime soon, but combination of 2 CM's that can hold the ball would bring more out of Özil. Guenduzi and Torreira could probably do the job, but they are not playing together and there is still huge problem with Ramsey and his position in this team. I expect this will be resolved by Christmas.

If I recall we were left short in defence, not the first time, also we were still crying out for a CF faster than Giroud. I agree re Ramsey, he will sign or be off in Jan.

FEH

@American_Gooner - Interesting post on KDB. Didnt know he was criticised by City fans to that extent. But then again, they are spoilt for choice and expect a level above what we expect on matchdays.

A fit, happy, driven Özil is a match for KDB. We havent had an Özil to match that description for a long time.

The amount of games he has missed with illness is unacceptable. The games hes playing wouldnt be accepted at any other big team so if he carries it on he should be made an example of and shown the back door. I want him to get a grip and put the head down though starting from Cardiff. Last chance.

Reactions: A_G
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Everybody knows how much I love Arsenal - I became a fan. And to be out here [in front of the Emirates as a statue] celebrating a goal against Sp*rs, there's not much else to say after that. Like I've said before: Once a Gooner, always a Gooner.

Thierry Henry

Latest posts

Top Bottom