• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Exequiel Palacios

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Arsenal wants to see him in Brazil? If this is the case, this transfer won't be completed until the final week of the transfer window because River and Cruzeiro don't play their Round of 16 matches until late July. They play at River on July 23 and in Brazil on July 30. If Arsenal doesn't already know if they want him or not, I doubt this will happen at all.

I think they mean at the Copa America. Either way you'd want a player like this signed before they hit the big time in one of these tournaments.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I think they mean at the Copa America. Either way you'd want a player like this signed before they hit the big time in one of these tournaments.

You're probably right. Not sure they'll actually see much of him since he's just getting into the squad recently. But you're right that either way it doesn't make much sense to wait. They've had plenty of chances to scout him and should be sure by now.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Arsenal wants to see him in Brazil? If this is the case, this transfer won't be completed until the final week of the transfer window because River and Cruzeiro don't play their Round of 16 matches until late July. They play at River on July 23 and in Brazil on July 30. If Arsenal doesn't already know if they want him or not, I doubt this will happen at all.

We completed a deal for Torreira while he was at the world cup. Don't see why we can't do the same for the copa America.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
We completed a deal for Torreira while he was at the world cup. Don't see why we can't do the same for the copa America.

That wasn't my point. Arsenal didn't have to watch Torreira in the World Cup in order to know they wanted him. He had already been scouted and their interest lodged. In fact, they had already made offers. They may very well sign Palacios during Copa America, but if they haven't yet made a decision on him and need to see him play (he may not even play very much because he's new to the team), I would have to question how serious their interest is.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
That wasn't my point. Arsenal didn't have to watch Torreira in the World Cup in order to know they wanted him. He had already been scouted and their interest lodged. In fact, they had already made offers. They may very well sign Palacios during Copa America, but if they haven't yet made a decision on him and need to see him play (he may not even play very much because he's new to the team), I would have to question how serious their interest is.

A lot of this 'link' makes no sense if they are waiting to see him in the Copa America. I'm no scout but surely a club needs to see a player enough to be linked, if the links are true then some of the scouting team need to have watched this guy already and a decision has pretty much been made and the rest is financial. How many times do scouts really need to see a player these days before one of the top guys takes a look and pulls the trigger.

Waiting to see how a player gets on in an international tournament just seems like a stupid idea.

Unless he has been brought to the table by Edu and our scouts are truly clueless as to whats going on in South America which would be quite concerning considering he plays for River Plate.

FinnGooner

Established Member
Never heard of the guy before but watched the YouTube clip. Seems like a decent player but imo we need a midfielder who, in addition to the usual (good passing, ball recovery, vision etc.), is a good shooter so he can be a threat from long range and set pieces. We don't have that at the moment and this guy doesn't seem to offer that either. Obviously if we get this guy and a another midfielder, perhaps more in the mold of Eriksen/KdB, then this Palacios guy could be a decent addition as well.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Exciting read, also exciting that Real Madrid was in for him. They've been quite good at scouting top level young players recently.

His profile fits well with what Arsenal should be looking at. At €20m he's also much more affordable than van de Beek, who also fits that profile but I doubt Ajax will sell him.

I also think his fellow countryman Lo Celso, who was recently sold to Betis for €22m, fits this profile well, but I think he would cost around €40m now.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Never heard of the guy before but watched the YouTube clip. Seems like a decent player but imo we need a midfielder who, in addition to the usual (good passing, ball recovery, vision etc.), is a good shooter so he can be a threat from long range and set pieces. We don't have that at the moment and this guy doesn't seem to offer that either. Obviously if we get this guy and a another midfielder, perhaps more in the mold of Eriksen/KdB, then this Palacios guy could be a decent addition as well.

Good to have, but umm, don't we have Xhaka and Torreira? I think they can shoot long range and even from set pieces.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Forget Nkunku. Let's get Sangare instead!!

Imagine

Sander Berge-------Palacios

---------------Torreira

As much as I like Sangare, you are forced to play a double pivot with him. I want to go back to a 3 man midfield with Torreira at the base.

I really like Sander Berge. I think his physical profile will run riot in England. He is excellent in the air, powerful, he intercepts, he tackles, he has good passing. Over 4 Europa league games he averaged just over 6 long balls per game and still passed in the 80% range. Above all else, he is fast and offers transition. He can carry that ball like Diaby used to , riding challenges and bombing through the midfield. We really should be looking at him.

Judasviking

Imagine

---------------Torreira

As much as I like Sangare, you are forced to play a double pivot with him. I want to go back to a 3 man midfield with Torreira at the base.

I really like Sander Berge. I think his physical profile will run riot in England. He is excellent in the air, powerful, he intercepts, he tackles, he has good passing. Over 4 Europa league games he averaged just over 6 long balls per game and still passed in the 80% range. Above all else, he is fast and offers transition. He can carry that ball like Diaby used to , riding challenges and bombing through the midfield. We really should be looking at him.

Was actually in the newspaper in norway today that Berge is moving out from his apartment in Gent, so something is going on i guess.

The manager of Gent have basicly said that he is free to go in summer.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Bit of a grey area with the Copa though. Are we signing him before? Because if he goes and has a decent tournament then every club will want him.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Imagine

---------------Torreira

Looks like your typical Erdevise midtable midfield.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
This guy looks painfully average, like the Argentinian Ander Herrera but with somehow worse technical skills.

Could prove to be a decent Elneny replacement but not first team material.

Arsenal Quotes

I believe one of the best things about managing people is that we can influence lives in a positive way. That’s basically what a manager is about. When I can do that, I am very happy.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom