• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Raul's Transfer Targets: Summer 2019

• Thread starter Aevi
  • Start date
  • Replies 13,667
  • Views 1,470,239

Who would you rather have?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Winger doent worry me. Our goal return was more than decent last season. Our defence was a shambles. Thats where we need to improve. Once those bodies are in then we can look at a winger.
Winger it's important because we lack width we too predictable offensively in away games very easy to defend against. We want player like Zaha Soares that will cause problems because of thier speed and skills and ability to beat thier man

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Winger doent worry me. Our goal return was more than decent last season. Our defence was a shambles. Thats where we need to improve. Once those bodies are in then we can look at a winger.
This.

Wenger was an attacking manager and can understand why he spent what he had on attackers. He always tried to outscore the opposition.

But Emery is a reactive manager And needs strength in all areas to cope with his changes of tactics. He’ll never succeed unless we get a CB, LB and CM.

A winger is icing on the cake. Let’s get the cake sorted first.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

This.

Wenger was an attacking manager and can understand why he spent what he had on attackers. He always tried to outscore the opposition.

But Emery is a reactive manager And needs strength in all areas to cope with his changes of tactics. He’ll never succeed unless we get a CB, LB and CM.

A winger is icing on the cake. Let’s get the cake sorted first.

Nah a CB is icing on the cake, playing with no natural wingers who are good enough for a top 10 side means there’s no width or threat in behind.

It has a knock on effect because teams can push us high as there’s very little to fear on the break, defensively teams wouldn’t be so aggressive against us if they knew we had a Zaha on the flank.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

Whilst I agree its not always down to the players alone. There's teams with a lot worse defenders than us who had better defensive records.

Before Holding/Bellerin got injured we had a record of 46 goals scored and 32 conceded. That was after roughly 22 games.

For the rest of the season we went 27 goals scored and 19 goals conceded.

Before the injuries we were averaging just over 2 goals a game. After the injuries 1.6 goals a game.

Before injuries we averaged 1.4 goals conceded per game. After injuries it was 1.1 per game.

Glaringly obvious that some of our individual players are rubbish, but the big thing with the injuries was the fact that we were switching formation multiple times over multiple games which is silly but we had to in an attempt to be more sturdy.

Mustafi started 31 games. Thats our main issue, makes too many mistakes and his positioning is awful.

Winger signing is just as important as a CB signing this summer in my eyes, purely because we need to be sticking with 433/4231 which will instantly get us into better defensive shape.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
Nah a CB is icing on the cake, playing with no natural wingers who are good enough for a top 10 side means there’s no width or threat in behind.

It has a knock on effect because teams can push us high as there’s very little to fear on the break, defensively teams wouldn’t be so aggressive against us if they knew we had a Zaha on the flank.

This part isn't accounted for when people think of a winger and what they could bring to the team. One of the saddest sight last season was seeing cannon fodder teams pushing their fullbacks high up the pitch against us, which made them far more dangerous than they should be. This had another secondary effect that it emboldened them. Gave them more confidence instead of just sitting back and gradually eroding their confidence. All of that was possible because they had no fear of us hitting them hard and fast from the wings. Imagine them trying those tactics if we had a flying, skillful winger? They would need to keep their fullbacks back all the time otherwise they would be ripped to shreds.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Nah. We scored 73 goals last season with a golden boot winner, more than both teams in front of us.

But we shipped 51 goals, worse even than the teams in 7th, 8th and 9th position. Why, because we keep on making rash challenges around the box, give the ball away frequently and fail to mark the opposition properly.

No one winger will cure that ****ery.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
We have 6 weeks to get rid of them kosh chambers Jenkinson and Elneny all likely to leave. Not sure about mustafi

I hope you are right, I suppose the reality is none of the players you have listed will be any clubs first choice, a lot of them will probably leave late in the window when clubs bring in numbers for the sake of it or panic buy.

Chambers surprises me the most, I thought he would be a definite for some of the lesser clubs in the league.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Nah. We scored 73 goals last season with a golden boot winner, more than both teams in front of us.

But we shipped 51 goals, worse even than the teams in 7th, 8th and 9th position. Why, because we keep on making rash challenges around the box, give the ball away frequently and fail to mark the opposition properly.

No one winger will cure that ****ery.

It’s too simplistic imo to say “x goals scored means we can attack and y goals conceded means we can’t defend”.

The system was broken at the end of the year, not all the goals we conceded were due to defender error, which is what a new CB would improve.

Axel9090

Good news but we are capable of way more. Hopefully we see that next summer. We should get out the dross and make do with what we can get for now.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Think Tierney, Saliba being loaned out and Ceballos on loan is a pretty poor window.

Can't expect much until the bum squad are out the door though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

What does Arsenal mean? It means class. The structure of the Club, everything has a classy feel about it. It isn't always about success, there is more than that and this is what makes it a cut above the rest.

Charlie Nicholas

Latest posts

Top Bottom