• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life After Emery Begins

Would you be satisfied with hiring Mikel Arteta?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
How so?
I don't understand the logic behind Arteta's ceiling.
I'm not saying there's any guarantees with Arteta, just that appointing an EL level manager and hoping he can take the team to the CL is a risk. we saw that with Emery. IMO, if you're going to take a risk go for someone like Arteta who might be able to reach a high level as opposed to someone we know is only going to take the team so far.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Different clubs,leagues and situations.We def need some safer option with good managers who already managed club in EPL or some bigger club in Europe.Poch,Rodgers or Allegri are better imo.

The best managers in this league came from abroad and tore the PL apart.
Our most successful manager in history came out of nowhere and blew the league away during his first years.

Remember when some people were doubting if Pep could make it in England? :lol:

It's the same for players. There are players who came from la Liga who were huge in the PL, and there are those who failed.
We can't predict how it's going to turn out.

I don't think it's a solid argument we can use against him.

BaZZe

Always Blaming Refs

what if Arteta is a top manager in the making but Ljungberg is another Ole? Yes it’s a shot in the dark but my point is that every manager is unproven at some point..

I feel we have a better chance of taking a risk with someone like Arteta instead of settling for another uninspiring choice like Emery
You could say exactly the same of the opposite. "What if Ljungberg is a top manager in the making but Arteta is another Ole?" I want to make it clear that I wouldn't mind gambling on Arteta if our interim wasn't already a gamble. Since they are both unproven gambles you might as well stick with the one you have right now than swapping him for another gamble before we even have tested the first gamble. Especially considering Freddie will probably settle in quicker than Arteta since he has already worked with the club somewhat.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Marcelo will be free to get because he is unemployed atm, at this stage I'd presume it will be him, Everton might get in before us though.

isop

I always loved Don Raul.

It's seems that he's always wanted to appoint his friend Enrique, but he can't right now. There's still a chance after the Euros though, if we have Ljunberg as caretaker till the end of the season, but perhaps we're moving away from that idea with the the shortlist being actively pursued. Enrique is another manager I don't want as well.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
The best managers in this league came from abroad and tore the PL apart.
Our most successful manager in history came out of nowhere and blew the league away during his first years.

Remember when some people were doubting if Pep could make it in England? :lol:

It's the same for players. There are players who came from la Liga who were huge in the PL, and there are those who failed.
We can't predict how it's going to turn out.

I don't think it's a solid argument we can use against him.

Pep already had good repuation when he came to City.Even he had some problems in his first season and than spent big money on players.Not taking anything out of him,just saying.

Preacher

Always Crying
Arsenal and their f*cking committees. I bet they will again ask for PP presentations:lol:

The saddest thing that they are targeting plenty of different style coaches. Firstly decide what style of the coach you want. Set your sights on the selected coach and do everything which is possible to get him. Have a plan B, who don't significantly differ from your plan A playing style wise.

BaZZe

Always Blaming Refs

Why rush in at the first f*cking manager we can find. Better to wait and keep Freddie at the helm.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
I'm not saying there's any guarantees with Arteta, just that appointing an EL level manager and hoping he can take the team to the CL is a risk. we saw that with Emery. IMO, if you're going to take a risk go for someone like Arteta who might be able to reach a high level as opposed to someone we know is only going to take the team so far.

Again, how so?
I don't understand.

There are plenty of cases where managers went from midtable/EL teams => CL team and have been succesful.
Much more than any assistant making a direct transition from being an assistant to working at a top club.

Because with this kind of logic, then we wouldn't have tried to take Pochettino when he was working at Southampton, just because he hasn't got the chance to work in the proper structure to achieve CL football.
And we all know how it turned out.

We have no sample size to know what Arteta is about. As it is right now, these are just fantasies about how he could turn out to be, because he's been working with one of the best current coach.

I think football fans need to realise that Guardiola is a unicorn. He's a genius. He's unique. He's a generational talent in coaching. It's not realistic to expect Arteta (right now) to be a huge success just because he's been his assistant for 2 years.

If we do pick Arteta, I'll back him and I'll be looking forward to see his work, and I will hope the gamble will payoff.

I just don't understand all those fantasies about him, based on absolutely nothing. Let the man prove himself before saying he's going to make us play attractive football again, or he has a high ceiling.

As it is right now, there's no evidence that Arteta is any better than Freddie.
My concern is if we do get him, and he doesn't have a great start, fans will just turn on him really fast because they had unrealistic expectations.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Not saying Marcelino won't be a waste, he may come in & surprise all of us but why does Raul & our board just go for the cheap & easy options, ignores the top managers. Raul needs the sack sooner or later.

clovis

There are a few pointers that indicate that Arteta has a very good chance of succeeding as a manager:

- he played in a position that is quite common among successful managers

- he had leadership qualities

- his impressive technical knowledge was apparent even during his playing days.

- I don’t remember the last time so many managers have praised the credentials and managerial future of someone who is yet to take his first job

- I can’t find it right now but there is a video where he explains tactical stuff to some of the city players which they implement.

- some city players have praised his influence in very specific ways and it is not just general token praise.

To me it is clear that he has more influence at city than just someone who uses ipad and puts cones for Pep.

a player’s career is often a good indicator of coaching capability. I believe the likes of Xavi, Alonso, Lahm, Kroos etc from the current or recent generation have a very good chance of becoming quality managers as well, and we have seen it with the likes of Lampard and Gerrard already and also Zidane.

some people are very risk averse and these folks wouldn’t have taken a chance with Pep because he had only coached Barca B and they wouldn’t have taken Lampard and Gerrard ahead of Derby or Rangers.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
So if I only get selected for Arsenal at age 35 I can't have Arsenal DNA even if I loved the club long before they even looked my direction. Absolutely bizarre criteria here. Can't agree with that at all!

I can't be arsed to respond to this. Your logic is baffling. All your points rely on the premise that Arteta can pick and choose where he works and that he is the only person who decides where his managerial opportunities come from.

Maybe in too cynical but the "dream of Arsenal captain" seems abit convinient"!

Socidad boy like him...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I really like Arsenal. But you, do you like Arsenal? Or just Arsenal with Trophies?

Dennis Bergkamp
Top Bottom