• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Top strikers in Arsenal history

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I still hold a grudge for him not backing us after the fight at Old Trafford in 2003, especially since he was apart of the first fight there in 1990 ffs!

He said after they went off the air, Richard Keys shook his hand and said "thank you for being so honest" ...you always back your team, ****.

I'd shoot at O'Leary long before I'd shoot at Alan Smith.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
In no particular order
RVP
Henry
Bergkamp
Adebayor
Kanu
Auba
Wiltord
Anelka
Wrighty
Alan Smith

Jesus, how are Giroud/Lacazette anywhere near your top 10 ffs?

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Wiltord played mostly as a striker for us even though he had some games as a right winger. I struggle to remember how good he was really. Obviously he was a few levels down from Henry and Bergkamp but he got some really vital goals for us.

Can`t really remember what he he was really good at though. Decent pace but far from lightening, not really a dribbler and techincally not the cleanest. That goal at OT and his overall contribution to our greatest ever side will always meen he is remembered very fondly though. He seems to have stayed out of the limelight after retiring, can`t remember reading any interviews, seeing him back at the Emirates or anything.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Wiltord played mostly as a striker for us even though he had some games as a right winger. I struggle to remember how good he was really. Obviously he was a few levels down from Henry and Bergkamp but he got some really vital goals for us.

Can`t really remember what he he was really good at though. Decent pace but far from lightening, not really a dribbler and techincally not the cleanest. That goal at OT and his overall contribution to our greatest ever side will always meen he is remembered very fondly though. He seems to have stayed out of the limelight after retiring, can`t remember reading any interviews, seeing him back at the Emirates or anything.

He was one of the those players that was kind of good at everything, but not great at anything really, perfect squad player for us...could play upfront, right, left all to a high level...decent pace and a pretty good dribbler, and like Freddie a really good eye for goal too...I loved him, always seemed to be smiling, great character off the pitch I imagine, underrated because he played in our best period but a very good player...a winner with his country too, and after he left us he was a starter in that great Lyon team that won like 5o leagues in a row!

Also, in one of my favourite football ads...

:lol:

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
In no particular order
RVP
Henry
Bergkamp
Adebayor
Kanu
Auba
Wiltord
Anelka
Wrighty
Alan Smith

Jesus, how are Giroud/Lacazette anywhere near your top 10 ffs?

I'd take Lacca easily over Kanu. Kanu was good in his first two seasons where his biggest quality was his awkward style of hold up play and good close ball control caused opposition problems. However this attribute turned into his biggest flaw in his woeful last 4 seasons with us. Kanu held onto the ball too long, was tripping all over his own feet constantly and often gave away possession. Also comparing one of our hardest working strikers we've had in Lacca compared to one of the laziest.

Last edited:

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Anelka had a great career, despite basically swapping clubs every season!

A Double with us and Chelsea, Champions League with Madrid and a Euros with his country...not too shabby.

Plus, he had a relatively low release clause in Chsmpionship Manager 03/04, him up front with the legendary Pablo Aimar as a 10 did great things for me in my Valencia save :drool:

Can’t believe I forgot Sanchez in my list though ffs!
Anelka has the medals but there's no legacy imo. He's like a poor man's Ibra. I remember him with us and one of the few goals he scored at Madrid to muted celebrations. After that, it's flashes. Feels like Henry "stole" his career. Giroud, Duggary and Givarch have a better legacy for France too! There's always the shadow of what might have been but he's the type to have no regrets.

Riou

Anelka has the medals but there's no legacy imo. He's like a poor man's Ibra. I remember him with us and one of the few goals he scored at Madrid to muted celebrations. After that, it's flashes. Feels like Henry "stole" his career. Giroud, Duggary and Givarch have a better legacy for France too! There's always the shadow of what might have been but he's the type to have no regrets.

Wonder how Thierry feels about that...

tenor.gif

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Anelka had a great career, despite basically swapping clubs every season!

A Double with us and Chelsea, Champions League with Madrid and a Euros with his country...not too shabby.

Plus, he had a relatively low release clause in Chsmpionship Manager 03/04, him up front with the legendary Pablo Aimar as a 10 did great things for me in my Valencia save :drool:

Can’t believe I forgot Sanchez in my list though ffs!

He had a decent career. He could've had a wordclass one though.

Does anybody really care about Anelka in hindsight ? If you really want to be remembered of, be someone that has actual value in football history, then you gotta create something special tied to a particular club.

If Auba leaves us now, he'll also won't have much of a story. But if he, let's say for like 3 more years, was to bleed and fight for this club, he'd go down on that lists, would be named frequently and would be tied to something special.

Football players who never ever really settle somewhere, be significant and create a relationship to a club and its fans are doing fine, but if they care about what impression they leave behind, it's not the way to go.

Riou

He had a decent career. He could've had a wordclass one though.

Does anybody really care about Anelka in hindsight ? If you really want to be remembered of, be someone that has actual value in football history, then you gotta create something special tied to a particular club.

If Auba leaves us now, he'll also won't have much of a story. But if he, let's say for like 3 more years, was to bleed and fight for this club, he'd go down on that lists, would be named frequently and would be tied to something special.

Football players who never ever really settle somewhere, be significant and create a relationship to a club and its fans are doing fine, but if they care about what impression they leave behind, it's not the way to go.

Just looked up Anelka's honours list, did you know he has a Serie A with Juventus to his name, when the hell did that happen :lol:

He had a better than decent career I would say, Auba has had a decent career, Nicolas has won way too much to just be classed as a decent career.

Last edited:

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Just looked up Anelka's honours list, did you know he has a Serie A with Juventus to his name, when the hell did that happen :lol:

He had a better than decent career I would say, Auba has had a decent career, Nicolas has won way too much yo just be classed as a decent career.

I'm talking in regard to what they leave behind, what football fans memorize.

Hardly anyone even thinks about Anelka anymore. He's not been relevant for any club in a way where he sticks out.

Anelka was a nomade and fans don't recall on such. Like I said, it's fine, he did make **** load of money, got some trophies, but surely remains a nobody in the bigger context of the game.

It's a choice you have to make. Just a preference.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
So considering I am having such quiet night shift and bored I thought i do a post on our rivals top sttrikers to see how they compared to us.

Utd

1. Cantona - Those dam seagulls and Palace fans! Apart his entertaining rants and Kung Fu attempts Cantona was a fantastic footabller. The best after Bergkamp in the second striker role that the PL has seen. Could make something out of nothing.

2. Rooney - The best English striker after Shearer in my life time. Physically very strong, technically gifted with high work rate and intensity to his game.

3. RVN - The most limited world class player ever? RVN had nothing to this game except exceptional off the ball movement and positioning to get himself into goal scoring opportunities and finishing. The master of tap ins was a goal scoring machine (4 x 20+ league goal scoring seasons).

4. RVP - single handedly won utd the league in Ferguson's final season. RVP was a more gifted player than RVN and Rooney but them due to longevity had a bigger impact overall for utd.

5 &6: Cole & York - Formed one of greatest PL striker partnership's. Choosing from the two is hard. York at his peak in the 99 season was a better season than Cole produced in a Utd shirt. However York didn't sustain his quality as long as Cole did, whom for longevity had a bigger overall impact for Utd. Cole was was an excellent athlete but did miss a lot of chances but then again he had brilliant off he ball movement and therefore got himself into so many goal scoring opportunities and could afford to miss some. York was the more well rounded player of the two.

7. Sherringham - very intelligent player with great vision. Teddy's best season at Utd was his final season when he was their top scorer and earned and got PFA FWA player of the season that year.

8. Solskjær - When you think of "super sub" you think of Ole.

9. Bebartov - was very good in the 10/11 season when he got 20 league goals. Bebartov was technically excellent but got over the top criticism from pundits who didn't like his style of play and referred to him as lazy.

10. Saha - although not as prolific at Utd as he was at Fulham, Saha was a tidy well rounded striker.

Lukaku - although he was more prolific than Saha, Lukaku produced a lot of poor peformances. Lukaku awful first touch became a running joke.

Tevez - Didnt work out for him at Utd. Tevez was much better for city than he was for Utd and didnt seemed appreciated by Fergusson.

Chavs

1. Zola - The best in the second striker role after Bergkamp and Cantona. This guy was so skilful and extremely entertaining to watch. Earned a lot penalties and free kicks (didnt dive, Zola was a honest player) for Chelsea as opponents just had to result to attemping to kick lumps out of him. My favourtie non Arsenal PL player after Juninho.

2. Hasselbaink - underrated player with an extremely powerful rocket of a shot. Had 3 x 20 plus league goal scoring seasons with them. I felt sorry for his teammtes when they didn't capitalise on a chance as JFH would lose his **** and moan at them why they didn't pass to him(even if they were in a better position to score and JFH wasn't and being marked). JFH was prone to visibly sulking on the pitch when things weren't going his way which resulted in him having goes at officials and his teammates.

3. Costa - was one biggest wind up merchants and dirtiest forwards ever in the league that had a habbit of avoiding punishment from officials himself. One of most effective targetmen ever in the PL and got 2 x 20 league goal seasons with them.

4. Drogba - was pretty average in all but one season where he was outstanding. Drogba was very overrated and gets praised as one of the best ever PL strikers but really he should be considered with Phillips and Adebayor as the one season wonders. That said Drogba had a habit of playinig well against us throughout his Chelsea career but then again Carroll and Crouch always caused us problems too. For a big physical target man his diving and feigning of injury was cringeworthy stuff.

5. Anelka - Top scorer in the PL in one of the five seasons with them.

6. Gudjohnson - The most underrated Chelsea forward. A quick, technical player who played in the second striker role and chipped in with his share of goals. Formed a very good partnership with JFH nicknamed "Fire & Ice".

7. Vialli - Vialli was intelligent,very quick, tenacious, hard working, versatile, with a great first touch and loved a volley . Vialli best peformances I thought came in domestic cup and European matches rather than the league. Vialli's feud with Gullit which resulted in Vialli being wrongly overlooked often out of the starting 11, ohad it not been for this I think he would of had a bigger impact and be higher on the list.

8. Hughes - I only caught him at the end of his career with Chelsea. Tough, was good with his back to goal and a scorer of quality volleys and overhead kicks.

9. Flo - bought for peanuts and proved to be one of Chelsea best value signings. A lanky string of piss like Crouch but much quicker and technically much better. Proved to be a very useful option to bring off the bench.

10. Crespo - One of best strikers in the world before joining Chelsea. Failed to produce his world class form that he showed at Serie A in the PL but did manage to get double figures of league goals in 2 different seasons.

Chelsea signed a lot of high profile strikers that failed to make a impact.

shevecnhko - One of the best strikers in tthe world for Milan but just couldnt adapt to PL at all. Failed to get over 5 league goals a season with the chavs.

Sutton - Chelsea paid out what was considered big money at the time for him. Sutton got 1 goal in 28 and was a bigger flop tham Jeffers was for us.

Casiraghi - Had terrible injury issues at Chelsea and hardly played.

Mutu - tested postive for coke and got banned.

Pool

1. Suarez - By far their best ever CF.

2. Fowler - He was basically Wrighty without the dribbling ability. One the best PL strikers of the 90s.

3. Owen - Good player but I always felt he was very overrated due to his goal against Argentina and him coming onto the scene when the group of excellent England strikers (Shearer, Wrighty, Cole, Fowler, Ferdinand and Sherringham)were at the end of their careers and Owen wasn't anywhere near as good as them in their prime. Never deserved the ballon D'or, shouldn't have even been a contender for it. Never had a 20 + league goal scoring season. Plus that kid show he had were he came out of a poster of himself into a little boys bedroom was creepy as f*ck!

4. Torres - Was a very good striker for pool. Pacey, technically good and efficient goal scorer.

6. Firmino - plays as a false 9 and is very well rounded footballer.

7. Sturridge - A one season wonder with pool were he bagged 21 league goal in a season. Career plagued with injuries.

8. Collymore - "JOURNALISTE! JOURNALISTE!". Collymore signed for pool around the same time we signed Bergkamp but cost pool £1m more. Collymore was a decent player but didnt live up to the price tag at the time.

9. Kuyt , signed as a striker but was better on the wing I thought. Very hard working underrated player that chipped in some goals.

10. Heskey- was good for the Foxes but turned down Utd and joined Pool and got fat. Heskey was ok targetman for Pool that created space for Owen. I can't believe England's strike force for many years was Heskey and Owen ( Heskey had over 60 f*cking caps!).

Last edited:

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
How the fvck did Giroud and Lacazette manage to sneak their way into some posters' top 10 list?

Surely, it's an attempt at trolling?

Riou

Drogba was a great forward, despite not really having consistent numbers, he was a brilliant team player...he was also an underrated footballer as most tended to focus on his power, but he was a very well rounded player, that’s what seeperates him from Lukaku...I have seen many Chelsea fans underatte Henry due to his rather poor record in finals, I have seen many Arsenal fans underrate Drogba due to his poor numbers most years...both were top strikers in their own ways, Thierry being obviously better!

I also really liked Hesley as a player, I mean I like Welbeck and Emile is like a better version of him, guess he was the poor man’s Drogba really...he was brilliant up to around 2003, had a couple of great years at the start of his Liverpool career, did get a little too chubby though...Owen’s career can off fell off a cliff after he lost Heskey’s well rounded game, just sayin...sure that probably had more to do with injuries and career choices, but just sayin ;)

A player not here that I loved, Mark Viduka, one of the best target men I have seen and a genuinely underrated player (my second fav Leeds player after Kewell) what I loved about him was despite being very good at football, he kinda looked like he hated it as he had to run so much :lol: but get the ball into his feet, and it was so hard to get it of him, such a great mix of strength and skill, some of his goals and assists were Bergkamp-esque...put on so much weight after he left Leeds, that every time I watch him post Elland Road, he looked just like a regular fat guy who was somehow playing top level football, great player at his peak though.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

There's a very grey area when it comes to strikers. Is Bergkamp a striker or is number 10 just a completely different position/role. Is Wiltord a striker, considering he played wide a lot. What about Reyes, often played up front with Henry but was also played wide a lot. Alexis again could technically be classed as a striker because he certainly wasn't a winger, even when played out wide his contribution to the build up wasn't great because of how selfish he was unless he saw Özil or Cazorla make a good run or something. He always seemed like a striker stuck out wide.

Like if some of these guys are classed as strikers they'd make my top 10.

But then if we broaden it out to "forwards" then there's a whole list of names who come into contention too.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Drogba was a weird one. There's a few season in there where I think he had 5 league goals or something like that. But then the second it got to CL latter stages or maybe a cup game at Wembley he'd go Super Saiyan unplayable. Is that enough to justify him being classed as one of the all time great PL strikers? There's only two seasons, 07 and 10, where he was anywhere close to being prolific. Then there's a whole host of other league campaigns where his goal scoring record is pretty mediocre, like for what Chelsea signed him for, which was quite a lot of money back then there's times where you'd almost put him down as a flop but what he did in League Cup finals, FA Cup finals, semi-finals, CL games, winning them the CL arguably on his own and of course his excellent 09-10 season means that you can almost overlook his poor seasons because he's given them so much and contributed so much.

Arsenal Quotes

What does Arsenal mean? It means class. The structure of the Club, everything has a classy feel about it. It isn't always about success, there is more than that and this is what makes it a cut above the rest.

Charlie Nicholas

Latest posts

Top Bottom