• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Rafael van der Vaart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

ibby said:
Wenger14 said:
ibby said:
Rosicky, Hleb, Eduardo, Walcott, Clichy & van Persie can all play on the wings, given left midfield isn't their natural position they all provide a different option with the exception of Rosicky & Hleb.
Quality in depth?

Right now we've there's a big drop in quality after Rosicky and Hleb.

15million for quality back up? Haven't Tottenham and Bent taught us anything?
I disagree that there's a big drop in quality after Rosicky and Hleb but lets not get into that.
Exactly, that **** never lasts. Players like Modric and Van der vart need to be starting, and it would be a waste of transfer to bring them here.
I used to think we were a bit short, but watching us this season- I am starting to think otherwise. We do have adequete cover. Especially in the offensive department.
Also, Eboue is not as bad as half the forum makes out.

kamikaze80

Established Member
Wenger14 said:
Look I promised myself that would be last few minutes I waste on this discussion.

But I just had to respond to this;

Again, this shows your stupidity when having an argument. When did I EVER say Eboue would walk into any team as a RM? I said he would walk into any top four team, I didn't mention no position
Why on earth would you be talking about Eboue as right back in a discussion about wide midfielders?

I think we've found ourselves A-M's new Kel Varnsen :lol:
a bit unfair to kel, dont you think? ibby couldnt hold kel's jockstrap. he thinks he "outsmarted" you!

Wenger14

Established Member
True Kami, Ibby's more of a DannyDyer. Kel's a quality poster.

stiiphunn said:
Where's kel btw?
Apparently he's left the forum by choice.

psycho said:
Exactly, that s**t never lasts. Players like Modric and Van der vart need to be starting, and it would be a waste of transfer to bring them here.
I used to think we were a bit short, but watching us this season- I am starting to think otherwise. We do have adequete cover. Especially in the offensive department.
Also, Eboue is not as bad as half the forum makes out.
Bringing in a wide mid into our squad is nothing like spending 16 million quid on Darren Bent. Wenger won't spend over the odds anyway.

Is adequate cover enough for a side challenging on four fronts? Isn't the drop in quality a bit too much considering Rosicky will miss a fair chunk of games and our back up will effectively spend a third of the season as our first choice?

We do have depth, adequate depth, just not quality depth. This, imo, was done on purpose, to give youngsters such as Walcott and Diaby more playing time as bringing in someone else would limit their time and development. And I don't necessarily have anything against that, I'm a big admirer of the potentials of both them players.

Lukazan

Established Member
^ Second that.

Ibby, you're deluded mate. I don't know how anyone can say that the drop in quality on the wings after Rosicky and Hleb isn't big, because it blatantly is.

Eboue does a job, and has his moments of brilliance, but for the rest of the time he still looks absolutely clueless and seems to have no idea what he needs to be doing in the position. Running on to the ball, and at players, he's great, but when he gets it played to his feet and finds himself under any sort of pressure he just doesn't have the ability or even the brain to retain the ball or think quick enough and see a pass. He loses the ball so many times under these circumstances it's ridiculous.

Walcott, again gives us glimpses of what he can do, but he is not ready to start consecutive games for us on the wing, especially in the bigger games. Besides, he's clearly not a winger and is only being played there for the experience. His best games for Arsenal this season have been when he's played upfront. On the wing he is constantly losing the ball through either trying the impossible dribble (an option he chooses way too often at this point) or being completely out-muscled, usually both.

After that you're getting very desperate. Diaby, who offers very little other than an eye-catching dribble and a decent long range shot, should be getting nowhere near the wing at a team like Arsenal and as for our other options... what options? You're really forcing square pegs in to round holes now.

We need another wide man and as soon as possible, that is obvious.

ibby

Established Member
Lukazan said:
Eboue does a job, and has his moments of brilliance, but for the rest of the time he still looks absolutely clueless and seems to have no idea what he needs to be doing in the position. Running on to the ball, and at players, he's great, but when he gets it played to his feet and finds himself under any sort of pressure he just doesn't have the ability or even the brain to retain the ball or think quick enough and see a pass. He loses the ball so many times under these circumstances it's ridiculous. This boy could get on the right wing of most Premiership teams? I don't know about that, and if it were indeed true it says more about the quality of right wingers at other clubs than the quality of Mr Eboue.

Eboue has the natural ability to play in midfield, he can beat playes, what he doesn't have is the tactical awareness to play there, which is understandable because he has been playing in defence for so long. This is year is a transition period for him. It is his first season at RM for Arsenal and with everyone else playing so well he stands out. Every time I see fans under-rate Eboue it reminds me of Hleb in his first season, and how fans used to give him a break because it was his first full season playing in such a position. I expect Eboue to improve as the season goes on.

Walcott, again gives us glimpses of what he can do, but he is not ready to start consecutive games for us on the wing, especially in the bigger games. Besides, he's clearly not a winger and is only being played there for the experience. His best games for Arsenal this season have been when he's played upfront. On the wing he is constantly losing the ball through either trying the impossible dribble (an option he chooses way too often at this point) or being completely out-muscled, usually both.

I agree here. Like I said, they are called back ups, and for back ups they are more than good enough. Signing another winger (in January) will just unsettle things. If Wenger wanted a winger he would have signed Modric when he had the chance, which was in the summer.

After that you're getting very desperate. Diaby, who offers very little other than an eye-catching dribble and a decent long range shot, should be getting nowhere near the wing at a team like Arsenal and as for our other options... what options? You're really forcing square pegs in to round holes now.

Like I said, I won't include Diaby in this debate because he isn't a winger. Eduardo, yes. Diaby, no. I think the reason Wenger plays Diaby in that position is to keep his mouth shut like I said earlier, and to give him games.

Eduardo on the other hand could play winger for us and a quite effective one. Especially in the latter part of the season when Eboue goes to the AFN Eduardo will get more games.

We need another wide man and as soon as possible, that is obvious.

I guess we will see when the season pans out...

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
Few things on VDV.

His contract with HSV ends in 2010, BUT he has a clause in his contract allowing him to leave in 2009 for just €1.5M (1M pound).

Van der Vaart is a natural, like RVP. Can play various positions, off the striker, play maker, LM (not wide, but played like that), will always score and come up with assists. Rate him very high (unlike some other overhyped Dutch players)

Problem: he's very injuryprone. This is slightly offset by his abilty to return to shape quickly.

Lastly he has always said he wants to play in Spain (because of family living there), but think he would be tempted by an offer from Arsenal for sure, he loves the way we play.

entropy13

Established Member
clockwork orange said:
Few things on VDV.

His contract with HSV ends in 2010, BUT he has a clause in his contract allowing him to leave in 2009 for just €1.5M (1M pound).

Van der Vaart is a natural, like RVP. Can play various positions, off the striker, play maker, LM (not wide, but played like that), will always score and come up with assists. Rate him very high (unlike some other overhyped Dutch players)

Problem: he's very injuryprone. This is slightly offset by his abilty to return to shape quickly.

Lastly he has always said he wants to play in Spain (because of family living there), but think he would be tempted by an offer from Arsenal for sure, he loves the way we play.

I'm really amazed by that ability he has. Fast regeneration for him really. One week I read he gets injured then the next game (after a couple of weeks) that he plays in he scores a couple.

Pepe LeFrits

Established Member
Captain Rafael van der Vaart scored his eighth goal of the season to lead Hamburg SV to a 2-0 home victory over Hansa Rostock in the Bundesliga on Sunday to stay in third place just one point behind leaders Bayern Munich.
Looking at his career history on wiki, the largest number of games he has ever managed in a single season is 33. His goal-scoring record is very impressive despite that though.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
If I could choose 1 Dutch player for Arsenal, I would pick VDV. He's much better than all the others (bar RVP).

VDV >>>> Sneijder

MDGoonah41

Established Member
Honestly, I think he'd be a great signing in the £10-12M range. I think it would allow us to do some different things with Hleb and Rosicky, allowing us to use them in different spots, use one of them off the bench, and it could help keep both Rosicky and VDV healthy. He's got a sweet delivery, and as mentioned, has a great goal scoring touch.

Do it.

Thommybhoy

Established Member
OK. That is Your oppinion. I must say I would be against any of them of course. Rafael vdV is bigger name, and longer and more exposed player.
I'm not objective on this one, as much as I try to be, and my coice would still be Modrić ahead of vdV.
I rate vdV really highly, and as many of You have a feeling Luka will join chavs, I have that feeling for vdV.
Either of them would definitlyour beloved Arsenal stronger.

CrazyInLoveWithArsenal

I want him here, he is a top class player there are no doubts about that. I think that it is clear to see that there is a significant drop in quality after Hleb and Rosicky. Bring him in I say!

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
I thought after 2008 clubs can bring him in for a 1,5 million pounds and now at the moment his contract is worth 20 million we should really go for him and even if it was 20 i should rather him above Modric i think... maby we could get them both but i dont think so... :wink:

kamikaze80

Established Member
clockwork orange said:
If I could choose 1 Dutch player for Arsenal, I would pick VDV. He's much better than all the others (bar RVP).

VDV >>>> Sneijder
thats high praise.

if he has a release clause for 1m in 2009, then he'd be available for very cheap in 2008. hamburg will have no leverage because everyone knows if they wait until 2009, he can be had for peanuts. unfortunately, i think his profile is way too high now. i'd guess hamburg would want in the region of 20m euro for him.

MDGoonah41

Established Member
They may want that, but as you mentioned, they won't get it because they have no leverage. offer them £8M and tell them to take it before it drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

"Surely what will be their last attack.

A good ball by Dixon, finding Smith for Thomas, charging through the midfield... It's up for grabs now! Thomas! Right at the end!

What an unbelievable climax to the League season"

Brian Moore on the Thomas' winning goal at Anfield in 1989
Top Bottom