• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

02/Arsenal.com Player of the Season

TomasCR

Established Member
law said:
Denilson.
You know this is not that much out of question. If we should vote for "the player whose game has improved over the last 12 monhts most" it would be him but since it's the "player of the season award", keep dreaming.

progman07

Established Member
TomasCR said:
law said:
Denilson.
You know this is not that much out of question. If we should vote for "the player whose game has improved over the last 12 monhts most" it would be him but since it's the "player of the season award", keep dreaming.
Denilson would only win if the question was "who played the most". Song improved MUCH more. Denilson started strongly (attacking wise at least, 3 golas and 7 assists - he got it early on), then faded out.

Unforgiven

Established Member
I think the votes from our supporters have been very good, presuming RVP is no.1 then that top 4 would be mine too.

otfgoon

Established Member
scytheavatar said:
That's the problem. At this stage he should have been close to world class, he should have been pulling out game changing performances through out the season. He should have been our Henry, our Torres, our Eto'o. If he had been able to gain some consistency he would be one of the best strikers in the premiership. But at the moment he is still far from that level.

Yes, he didn't have a bad season, but we are not talking about whether he has a good or a bad season. We are talking about player of the season here, and there's better contenders out there than Van Persie.

Our Torres? You mean the guy who only scored 17 goals and had 5 assists dispite playing as the main striker? (and he only started 6 games fewer). We all know how good Torres is but he didn't do much better than Robin, and I'm not just talking about stats. Our Henry? Robin did not even play a full season before last and you expected him to be as good as arguably the greatest Arsenal player ever? It sounds like you expected too much from him, granted he could and should have been more consistant but still.

Better contenders like who? Arshavin who played half a season? Sagna who was a shadow of himself from last season? Almunia for being relatively solid?

progman07

Established Member
People expect our striker to finish the chances our midfield never created. Of course they are going to miss some, but Eto'os 30 goals are the biggest clue how important the midfield and wingers are for your success.

All of Etoo's goals bar 1-2 were simple finishes from rebounds or through balls, Etoo didn't have to do anything but pass it into the goal. He still missed a lot of huge chances, by the way.

Had RvP been put into Barca, people would we raving about his goal stats...

law

Actually maybe Almunia. Everyone else was too inconsistent or too poor to win it for me.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
otfgoon said:
Robin did not even play a full season before last and you expected him to be as good as arguably the greatest Arsenal player ever? It sounds like you expected too much from him, granted he could and should have been more consistant but still.
Yeah, that's an excellent point. It's the reason I think we'll see more from him next season.

Zico

Established Member
Would go with what Kami says. It wasn't just his stats, but the way he gave our players and supporters a real lift at a desperate time. RVP had a breakthrough season, as did Almunia. Gallas was as good as the United defenders after he was stripped off his captaincy.

marco

haha alumnia third !what a joke
beaten twice from 40 yards at the emirates in our 2 biggest home games of season!

yep he played well at old trafford in champs league

but other than that he never wins you games or keeps you in games..
and we have conceded more goals from outside the box then any other team in the league..

A_Gooner_Matata

Established Member
marco said:
beaten twice from 40 yards at the emirates in our 2 biggest home games of season!

and we have conceded more goals from outside the box then any other team in the league..

:roll: He was easily our third best player in what was a highly sh*tty season.

marco

A_Gooner_Matata said:
marco said:

:roll: He was easily our third best player in what was a highly sh*tty season.

your basing that enitrely on how ****e fabianski is and how he played away to man utd in the league.

gallas should walk into the top 3 spot for his ON field performances..

TomasCR

Established Member
That's a good shout though. However, we all know that Gallas is not one of the most favourite players and since it was voted by fans... ;)

A_Gooner_Matata

Established Member
marco said:
your basing that enitrely on how s***e fabianski is and how he played away to man utd in the league.

Lol. I can assure you that I am not. If the entire team played like Almunia for the entire season, we would have been genuine title contenders. He screwed up royally in a couple of big games, but so did United and they had a pretty good season.

I like and rate Gallas but he didn't have as good a season as Almunia.

True Gooner

Established Member
marco said:

Vidic and van der Saar ****ed up in two of Uniteds biggest games of the season as well. They're **** aren't they?

If by well you mean: single-handedly kept us in the tie you'd be correct.

Disagree and it's been proven otherwise countless times.

Nothing to do with the fact that we have absolutely no cover from midfield?

your basing that enitrely on how s***e fabianski is and how he played away to man utd in the league.

Not really. His improvement this season has been widely acknowledged throughout the season.

The majority would disagree with you. Don't get me wrong, I rate Gallas as a defender but his season was indifferent, he was better after he was stripped of captaincy but he didn't play in any of the important games in the second half of the season.

Biggus

Established Member
law said:
Actually maybe Almunia. Everyone else was too inconsistent or too poor to win it for me.

I'd agree with that, Al really improved a lot this season......But then again so has Eboue. :shock:

I'm not on the RvP bandwagon he's neither an attacking midfielder nor a striker and I can't decide where he fits in, he'd better find some consistency next season or he should go.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal is in my blood as well as my heart. I will always, always, always remember you guys. I said I was going to be a Gooner for life and I did not lie because when you are a Gooner, you will always be a Gooner. This club is in my heart and will remain in my heart forever.

Thierry Henry

Latest posts

Top Bottom