• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

20/21 Arsenal Squad Decision time: Who to keep or sell?

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Holding Leno Hector Torreira Mari Pepe and Cedric all should be sold not sure if i forget anyone else.

Tavares loan him he still have ability but not ready for PL let him improve his defensive game if there no improvement then sell next summer.

Eddie Laca and Elneny just let their contract run out and let them leave somewhere else.

the rest keep of course they all new anyway add to them Saliba and make decision with Bolagun in summer to loan him or keep him as 3rd choice.

it what we should do and mostly the fans want that but i don't think we selling Holding and Cedric and we likely keeping Elneny too. and i honestly don't want them anywhere in squad they proven too many times they not leaders average and just midtable footballers.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Get Edu to pay all the players to leave so he can fill them all with Corinthians academy rejects on pay as you play deals.

Sell the Emirates to Jeff Bezos and turn all non-essential match day functions into a fulfilment centre.

Instead of giving the new Amazon workers breaks they can have the opportunity to volunteer as matchday stewards and catering staff.

Get Louis Dunford to write a song saying that we plan to compete for top four under Arteta by 2030, and in the meantime all fans should send donations to Vinai for transfer budgets.

Now is the time to go for it. We can really reduce overheads once and for all and put together the best balance sheet for Stan that we’ve ever had.
I like where you're going with this

Maybe try and sell a stake to Elon Musk and create a joint venture between Asthmatic journalists and twitter to send out hit pieces on Pepe and real time viral Arsenalisation interaction

Incorporate Arsenal fully into KSE and merge KSE with Wal-Mart, use Tim Lewis' old law firm to transfer right-to-work labour laws to London and introduce a salary cap on par with Wal Mart employees - "Since wages were harmonised the atmosphere at the club has improved manyfold and palpably - by James McNicholas"

Use the spare room on the wagebill to finally make Arteta the best paid manager in world football. Share prices rise as Kroenke-Twitterblog manages a leveraged buyout of Sky and Louis Dunford releases chart topping remix with Ed Sheeran and Crazy Frog

Shortly before relegation end of next season Arsenal FC's induction into the ESL is announced. We lose the first ever ESL game 0-9 vs Madrid but not all is bad as Arteta sung a great cover of Adele Hello song during the Budweiser Half Time Tesla Super Bowl show.

As you say we need to grab the chance to maximise shareholder value right now. Not one of SpaceX Apple or Amazon got so successful because they spent on football players but because they invested in a culture.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I like where you're going with this

Maybe try and sell a stake to Elon Musk and create a joint venture between Asthmatic journalists and twitter to send out hit pieces on Pepe and real time viral Arsenalisation interaction

Incorporate Arsenal fully into KSE and merge KSE with Wal-Mart, use Tim Lewis' old law firm to transfer right-to-work labour laws to London and introduce a salary cap on par with Wal Mart employees - "Since wages were harmonised the atmosphere at the club has improved manyfold and palpably - by James McNicholas"

Use the spare room on the wagebill to finally make Arteta the best paid manager in world football. Share prices rise as Kroenke-Twitterblog manages a leveraged buyout of Sky and Louis Dunford releases chart topping remix with Ed Sheeran and Crazy Frog

Shortly before relegation end of next season Arsenal FC's induction into the ESL is announced. We lose the first ever ESL game 0-9 vs Madrid but not all is bad as Arteta sung a great cover of Adele Hello song during the Budweiser Half Time Tesla Super Bowl show.

As you say we need to grab the chance to maximise shareholder value right now. Not one of SpaceX Apple or Amazon got so successful because they spent on football players but because they invested in a culture.

Yeah shareholder value is key right now.

Cheering on the balance sheet.

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
Sales already done: Douzi, Mavro

Sell: Pepe, Bellerin, Mari, Torreira, Cedric

Loan: Balo, Tavares

Do not renew: Elneny, Laca

Try to renew: Eddie

Sell if offers received: Xhaka, Holding

Keep the rest inc Saliba & actually give proper game time to AMN & Nelson to see if they are up to it or not.

Major squad overhaul required.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Sales already done: Douzi, Mavro

Sell: Pepe, Bellerin, Mari, Torreira, Cedric

Loan: Balo, Tavares

Do not renew: Elneny, Laca

Try to renew: Eddie

Sell if offers received: Xhaka, Holding

Keep the rest inc Saliba & actually give proper game time to AMN & Nelson to see if they are up to it or not.

Major squad overhaul required.
AMN has proven he isn't good enough. Time to sell him too. Nelson maybe his confidence is up and he can do something but better to sell AMN.

Mraven

It’s shocking how we have bought four new fullbacks and it’s still the weakest position. Hope we sell all of them including Bellerin and AMN.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
It’s shocking how we have bought four new fullbacks and it’s still the weakest position. Hope we sell all of them including Bellerin and AMN.
It's only a weak position because of injuries. Tierney and Tomi fit all season and we finish top 4. That said it's proven that we cannot trust neither player nor Partey to stay fit.

So we will need to look at replacing them and making them squad players not first teamers. Tomi can cover multiple positions which is good for a squad player.

Partey when fit is excellent but we need someone equally as good for when he isn't. Tierney again is a crock. So he could easily be a rotational player. And a good one at that. Move Taveres on. He lacks the basics to be a top 4-6 player.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Sell
Guendouzi and Mavro done.
Mari, Bellerin and Torreira don't want to return
Laca, Eddie, Elneny, Xhaka, Holding, Leno, Cedric, AMN
Tavares, Sambi and Nelson- loan deals
I think that's as many as we can shift.
First out the door would be Arteta

juice man

Can't make his mind up
You could justify selling half the players in the squad, but we'll have to pick our battles on the sale side. We'll be lucky to find buyers for Pepe, Cedric, Mari, and a few others. Take whatever you can get for them - some of these guys are literally of no use to us.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Sell - Guendouzi, Mavropanos, Mari, Bellerin, Torreira, AMN, Pepe and Leno

Contract expiry - Lacazette, Elneny and Nketiah

Loan - Tavares, Lokonga, Nelson, Trusty, Runarsson, Balogun + youngsters

Keep - Ramsdale, Turner, Okonkwo, White, Gabriel, Saliba, Holding, Tierney, Tomiyasu, Cedric, Partey, Xhaka, Ødegaard, ESR, Saka, Martinelli

That leaves room for a full back, 2 midfielders and 3 attackers. In my opinion three of the singings need to be first XI upgrades for Xhaka, Martinelli and Lacazette/Nketiah

You could easily argue that Cedric, Holding should be replaced, also maybe sign an extra midfielder but we can't give ourselves an unrealistic amount of work to do, hopefully players like Norton-Cuffy, Azeez or Patino may step up in 12 months to replace them.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀

Keep - Ramsdale, Turner, Okonkwo, White, Gabriel, Saliba, Holding, Tierney, Tomiyasu, Cedric, Partey, Xhaka, Ødegaard, ESR, Saka, Martinelli

That leaves room for a full back, 2 midfielders and 3 attackers. In my opinion three of the singings need to be first XI upgrades for Xhaka, Martinelli and Lacazette/Nketiah

You could easily argue that Cedric, Holding should be replaced, also maybe sign an extra midfielder but we can't give ourselves an unrealistic amount of work to do, hopefully players like Norton-Cuffy, Azeez or Patino may step up in 12 months to replace them.
Not far wrong there.

I'd probably keep Lokonga for EL and cup matches. Liverpool seem to be able to call on players and improve them without having to play them every week.

We definitely need a starting number 9, 2 viable starting midfielders as Partey can't be relied upon. A need for a top full back also is required.

I'd really prefer us to get our first 11 targets over the line first. Sick of signing players like Hickey first, the easy ones to appease fans and appear like they are doing something, yet taking an age to get the proper signings.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Agree with most of the logic here but getting rid of that many players leaves us with 13 outfield players loool. Even if we sign 5 players we'd still be massively short for a full PL and EL campaign.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Agree with most of the logic here but getting rid of that many players leaves us with 13 outfield players loool. Even if we sign 5 players we'd still be massively short for a full PL and EL campaign.
With 6 new signings (full back, 2x midfielders, 3 x attackers) that would make 19 outfield players which would be a little tight I agree. I suppose ideally Lokonga and Nelson stick around as cover but I can't help feeling that they may benefit more from loans, I guess that is part of the 'risk assessment' that needs to be done.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
With 6 new signings (full back, 2x midfielders, 3 x attackers) that would make 19 outfield players which would be a little tight I agree. I suppose ideally Lokonga and Nelson stick around as cover but I can't help feeling that they may benefit from loans, I guess that is part of the 'risk assessment' that needs to be done.

The thing is do you back the club to make 6 quality signings? If it's a case of keeping guys like ElNeny/Cedric/Lonkonga/Nelson/Tavares around, but we sign 4 top quality first 11 players that's the route I'd go down.

TornadoTed

Established Member
The thing is do you back the club to make 6 quality signings? If it's a case of keeping guys like ElNeny/Cedric/Lonkonga/Nelson/Tavares around, but we sign 4 top quality first 11 players that's the route I'd go down.
I think they could sign three first XI players and three decent squad players.

Last Summer we signed White, Ødegaard, Tomiyasu and Ramsdale for the first XI and Lokonga and Tavares as squad options. I think that is repeatable although I would like the first XI players at least to be entering their prime, 25-26 though rather than the under 23 like last Summers model.

Something like Bissouma, Raphina and Jesus for the first XI and Gakpo, Hickey and Boubacar Kamara for rotation would make me relatively happy with this summers business and isn't wildly unrealistic.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think they could sign three first XI players and three decent squad players.

Last Summer we signed White, Ødegaard, Tomiyasu and Ramsdale for the first XI and Lokonga and Tavares as squad options. I think that is repeatable although I would like the first XI players at least to be entering their prime, 25-26 though rather than the under 23 like last Summers model.

Something like Bissouma, Raphina and Jesus for the first XI and Gakpo, Hickey and Boubacar Kamara for rotation would make me relatively happy with this summers business and isn't wildly unrealistic.

I'm just fundamentally against signing squad players at this point, Arteta's signed enough of them now. I don't really think replacing guys like ElNeny with Kamara makes a lot of difference to our fortunes, I'd actually extend ElNeny so it's saves us signing a replacement.

I want to see all of the money spent on first 11 players: CF, LW, CM, fullback. Move guys like Martinelli/ESR/Xhaka/Tierney/Tomi to the bench. That's how we improve the squad for me.

Arsenal Quotes

I was receiving offers from many other clubs and declining them all, even the most tempting ones. Juventus, Real Madrid, PSG contacted me, Bayern, France, England...I am happy to have been able to say no to more glory, more money, and to have been guided only by the idea of loyally serving the club. I had knitted myself a soul in Red and White.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom