• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

4-4-2? 4-5-1? 4-3-3?

Jez

Gone are the days when a manager can simply pick his best eleven players and send them out onto the field with no strategy in order to win games. Nowadays the tactical side of football has evolved into a somewhat critical success factor of the modern game.

Over many years of tactical evolution from the days of the 4-2-4 and the W-M through to the total football strategy the 4-4-2 emerged as British football's most popular formation but when Chelsea appointed Jose Mourinho he employed a liquid 4-5-1 formation which could play as a 4-3-3 in attack. Now there is a rather large devide in the football world over the "best" formation but what would you like to see Arsenal play?

I quite like the 4-5-1 that has been used in Europe however I feel that this is not going to be potent enough in attack to thrive well in the Premiership next season.

In my opinion it is probably best to merger the long highly successful 4-4-2 with the 4-5-1/4-3-3 employed by Jose Mourinho creating a 4-1-2-1-2- Diamond. This means that we have the defensive cover of the flat back four with the one defensive midfielder in front but we also have enough players to go forward and we play with to strikers.

Fabregas would be lethal in the Attacking Midfield role as his ability to break down defences and his excellent passing would rip the opposition apart. He would have two centre forwards in front of him which could be Thierry Henry with Adebayor or van Persie, plus he would have the twp wingers either side of him. Furthermore the system would allow the flexability of being able swap Fabregas with van Persie or Robert Pires creating a totally different style of attack.

Gilberto would make an excellent Defensive Midfielder performing a similar role as Makalele does for Chelsea by sitting in front of Cole, Campbell, Toure, Eboue or Lauren with Lehmann between the sticks.

Anyways, that is my view. What do you guys think we should do?

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Who would be the wide points of the diamond?

I think, though this formation has its' merits, with particular reference to deploying Cesc in that more advanced AM role, there would be a real danger of getting too narrow. Which is a problem, IMO, we suffer from too easily already.

RammiXP

i would say we already play in this way to a certain degree. our 4-4-2 has evloved very much into something like that.

jester

Established Member
maybe hleb would flourish in the AM role, but our midfield will inevitably be moulded around cesc.
of course, its a great situation to be in, but it does limit what we will do in the future. cesc on the right obviously doesnt work as he always justs ends up drifting in anyway

Jez

I would personally use a wide diamond so the wingers play the exact same role as they would in a flat 4-4-2. Therefore Hleb or Ljungberg on the right with Reyes or Pires on the left.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
4-4-2-ish should be default, in exceptional cases (away, difficult opponent) - when it tactically make sense - 4-5-1-ish (so not against FC Barcelona).

rich300

leonardo santiago said:
4-4-2-ish should be default, in exceptional cases (away, difficult opponent) - when it tactically make sense - 4-5-1-ish (so not against FC Barcelona).

Yeah that is the point I was going to make.

I was actually about to type that we should always play 4-4-2 at Highbury :roll: hmmm.

We should always play 4-4-2 at HOME, but for those difficult away matches against such teams we struggled against away for example man united, liverpool, chelsea, then I dont think Wenger should be too shy to revert to 4-5-1, as we so often lost the midfield battle in those games.

4-4-2 for the default though.

kel varnsen

Established Member
4-4-2 with reyes and henry up front with cesc as an attacking central midfielder behind them and next to a more defensive central midfielder. like gilberto for the past few months.

hleb on the right and sign a new left winger. done!

kamikaze80

Established Member
i still dont get this 4-5-1 "turning into" 4-3-3 business. either theyre midfielders, or theyre forwards. end of.

when ash and eboue go bombing forward on the attack, do we switch from 4-4-2 to 2-6-2?

maxxspeed

I donot see the diffrence between 4-5-1 and 4-3-3, they are the same style of football.

I guest in Spain they call it 4-3-3 and in England they call it 4-5-1

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
kamikaze80 said:
i still dont get this 4-5-1 "turning into" 4-3-3 business. either theyre midfielders, or theyre forwards. end of.

when ash and eboue go bombing forward on the attack, do we switch from 4-4-2 to 2-6-2?

As I have been learned a 4-5-1 is 4-3-3 in attack and 4-5-1 in defense. The setup of the team is named after how they defend. Our attack in our normal 4-4-2 is almost a 4-1-2-1-4 you know with the wingbacks bursting forward to wingers and the wingers becoming striker and Cewsc as AM and Berto as CM. Another thing when you play 4-5-1 is to get, if the play is on the left side, the Rm steps up as a striker. Or one of the midfield trio steps up as a striker then it is 4-4-2-ish. 4-5-1 could very well be 4-3-3 in attack.

but there is also the question how to the Cm trio is set up. Often it is some kind of triangle eithher CDm + 2 Cm's or 2 CM's + 1 AM or somewhere in between like Barca with Edmilson CDM Iniesta(Xavi) Cm and Deco AM kinda trinagle sideways.

Our old Vavawoom was IMO a 4-3-3 setup in attack with our wingers being very attacking and Bergy dropping down to be the playmaker from a ACM position

4-5-1

Its worked so far so dont change it unless we are losing...... We need big performances from alot of people but i think the main ones are:
Lehmann(He needs to keep cool, ive had a bad feeling about jens the last couple of week. thierry's started to get abit miffed with him too. Its funny when he starts kicking off with the other team. I just hope he stays calm for once because it could cost us dear)
Toure (as always)
reyes (to support henry)
Fabregas (to have the game of his life)
Thierry Henry (The guy just needs to be at his best)

What a night it could be, we win the cup and thierry stays....am i asking too much? :?:

rich300

gooner4everandeverandever said:
4-5-1

Its worked so far so dont change it unless we are losing...... We need big performances from alot of people but i think the main ones are:
Lehmann(He needs to keep cool, ive had a bad feeling about jens the last couple of week. thierry's started to get abit miffed with him too. Its funny when he starts kicking off with the other team. I just hope he stays calm for once because it could cost us dear)
Toure (as always)
reyes (to support henry)
Fabregas (to have the game of his life)
Thierry Henry (The guy just needs to be at his best)

What a night it could be, we win the cup and thierry stays....am i asking too much? :?:

Fair points, but I think this thread is more about what we will do next season, not the Champions League final.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Jez said:
Gone are the days when a manager can simply pick his best eleven players and send them out onto the field with no strategy in order to win games.

tell that to the Real MAdrid coach

ucup33

Even when we play 4-4-2 (ljungberg on right wing, pires on left wing, bergkamp and henry up front) it is still pretty narrow in Total Football. 4-4-2 is only for how to defend. I saw that ljungberg will go to center to attack, also robert pires, so right and left will be empty for our right and left back to attack and bergkamp will be behind henry.

So our attack formation is actually 2-4-1-2-1. That mean 2 defender, 4 midfield, 1 supplier (bergkamp !), 2 left and right attacking midfied (pires and ljungberg), and 1 theiry henry. So I think the formation 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 is only the formation to defend. If we need more man in the central area we use 4-5-1. If we need more open game we play 4-4-2. But if you look how we attack it will be always the same, only the supplier will be different.

That's what I think :)

Arsenal Quotes

No one could have imagined for a single second that he would come to us. Only David Dein, Sol, his agent, and I knew what was going on. When I called a press conference to announce the arrival of a new player, and Sol Campbell walked into the room full of journalists, it was a bombshell.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom