• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Iwobi: Big 17 No Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

The money in football is ridiculous, yes Iwobi has been impressive but 30k a week? At 19? Hell if he got 5k a week he'd be sorted. Love Iwobi but it makes you wonder which direction football is going with all this money.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

To add to this I feel giving any footballer around 16-20 a huge huge contract increase won't motivate them, think it should be gradual, keep them wanting it more.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

I'm against giving these young players huge contracts because it can work counterproductive towards their motivation. Iwobi's development plan should be emphasized, his future at this club, the potential to be an arsenal great etc. Teaching these kids that performance equals cash, and an increase in performance should mean an increase in cash results in a dead-end. I know its part of the industry and the workings of the market but still.

Two contracts in one season is a bit much, and creates questionable precedent. I'm not singling out Iwobi's situation but just using it as an example. Most of us love to play football, and would dream of being good enough to play for the Arsenal (I assume). Iwobi's breakthrough should be a reward on its own, no need to put the emphasis on the money.

WurzlSepp

Has No Chill
To add to this I feel giving any footballer around 16-20 a huge huge contract increase won't motivate them, think it should be gradual, keep them wanting it more.

Guys what are you on about? Get real!

This is capitalism, it is ONLY about profit. There is NO room for romance, as much as we would like it to be.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Guys what are you on about? Get real!

This is capitalism, it is ONLY about profit. There is NO room for romance, as much as we would like it to be.
It's not romance I'm concerned with, it's genuine intrinsic motivation. People don't do everything they do just for money, no matter what 'capitalism' has you believing. Otherwise there would not be millions of kids but also seniors playing football in their weekends. Ronaldo wants to be the best, Reus wants to play for Dortmund, our own Gaffer is perhaps one of the most emotionally invested people you will see. It's not always about the money, yet it can destroy a lot of this 'romance'.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Studies do show that money only motivates people with a good feeling for short bursts of time, but this contract is more symbolic than anything.

It also makes our intentions regarding him clear, being "**** off" to other clubs looking in.

Aevi

Hale End FC
A mobile attack has made the team that much better. Imagine tracking them as defenders when they are moving alternatively from side-to-side :drool:

Props to Iwobi for having fit into a new system so quickly, this speaks very loudly of his mental capabilities. It feels like he has been in the team for ages; the way he interacts with the other players on the field is telepathic already.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Studies do show that money only motivates people with a good feeling for short bursts of time, but this contract is more symbolic than anything.

It also makes our intentions regarding him clear, being "**** off" to other clubs looking in.

Give him 5 years and a wage raise but 30k I still think is a joke, but it is football. I'd clean **** up 9-5 for 5k a week at the age of 20 haha.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Give him 5 years and a wage raise but 30k I still think is a joke, but it is football. I'd clean **** up 9-5 for 5k a week at the age of 20 haha.
As others have said though, there is a point where this has little to do with Iwobi or the club, and more with the state of football today.

It's ludicrous amounts of money, but in this context comes off as normal, and that won't change until the sport does.

WurzlSepp

Has No Chill
It's not romance I'm concerned with, it's genuine intrinsic motivation. People don't do everything they do just for money, no matter what 'capitalism' has you believing. Otherwise there would not be millions of kids but also seniors playing football in their weekends. Ronaldo wants to be the best, Reus wants to play for Dortmund, our own Gaffer is perhaps one of the most emotionally invested people you will see. It's not always about the money, yet it can destroy a lot of this 'romance'.

If you don't pay that money, there will come others who do and you lose even those young players nowadays.

dysphoria

Established Member
Not worried about him becoming complacent after receiving a new huge(at least for him) raise, if he's going to ever become a top player, he cannot have that mentality so this is a good litmus test.

What i am worried about though, is wenger overplaying him which in turn will bring injuries and stunt his growth ala most of our younger players. Only time will tell.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

These wages are nuts.

I wish I had tried harder to make it in football, then again I would have gotten my first contract and gone off the rails.

Taurus

Reminds me of football manager when you play a youth player for 2 games and he instantly asks for massive wages, like calm down bro I only gave you minutes coz of injuries.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
I don't worry about Iwobi being over played, however I worry that Wenger will not bring in the top quality forward that we require. Iwobi, Ox, walcott and Campbell are all good premiership level players - where is the aspiration?

Instead of thee 4 'battling it out' for the flank opposite Sanchez i'd rather a 2 to be sold and genuine quality to come in for Iwobi to aspire to and fill in for. Another discussion but think i'd move Walcott to a CF option and reluctantly sell Campbell to bring in a top class older winger.

Well deserved new contract from Mr. Iwobi!

Balance is key

thats £7.800.000 he earns the next 5 years, doesnt matter if he performs or not - that can definitely unwind any 19 year old. its pretty much a yearly wage for most people he makes every week.

Fairly sure any player his age playing for a top club got some financial advisers and mental coaches in the club whose job it is to make sure they dont go nuts or lose their motivation, maybe there are some stipulations as to how he is paid - I kind of doubt that he sees the money rolling in to his account, that would be somewhat irresponsible.

Mastadon

Established Member
Iwobi has broken through to the first team now he can't be earning peanuts just because he's a kid. He's already had as many impressive games for us in 1/4 season compared to Diaby in 9 years. 30k might seem a lot but that's the market price for top young talent if you are playing regularly for Arsenal FC at 19 years of age you gotta be a top young talent worth at least that much. With all the money coming into the game the market equilibrium for wages has shifted you can't expect guys like Iwobi to be on 500 or even 5k anymore. Agents are obviously doing their jobs very well and the club is protected from losing the player for the next 5 years without a fee. If things go bad we can always recover those wages by dumping him off to another club for a couple mil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

A player's true character is in how he plays and not in his social life. You can hide your real personality in your social life, You cannot on the field.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom