• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Song and the defensive midfield position

Is Song good enough to start for Arsenal this season

• Yes

Votes: 31 37.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 28 34.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ricky1985

Established Member
qs said:
Now of we could just get a DM we'd be laughing.

What is wrong with Alex Song? I understand we need an alternative/cover, but Song looks like he has the ability to play the role for us as first choice.

fabo

6.51 / 10
qs said:
Of course Nasri or Rosicky are better players but now you're just shifting the goal posts. The point is Denilsons been doing well so far. Great to see from a young and reliable player. Its nice to have a player who can do a quality job in back up. Now of we could just get a DM we'd be laughing.

I mentioned Nasri/Rosicky as both are key players and play that role but the key point was about Denilson taking it on himself in the mean time, especially as we've seen him do these things at times.

And I agree about the 'DM' but wouldn't be surprised if Denilson is shifted there when Song goes.

James

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
qs said:
Now of we could just get a DM we'd be laughing.

What is wrong with Alex Song? I understand we need an alternative/cover, but Song looks like he has the ability to play the role for us as first choice.
I think when most of us mention the need for a defensive midfielder, we mean someone who can rotate with, and cover for Song.

I know this adds nothing at all, but a couple of times tonight i couldn't help but think about how sorted we would feel if Flamini was still in our squad.

Captain

Established Member
Song doesn't have the agility to pass like Cesc and Denilson but he is snappy and passes early.

dutchMasta

Song has a lot more agility than you give him credit for. He's got a lot of fluidity about his dribbling and passing, very crisp, strong technique, can use both feet, positive and can pick out his man quickly. He's a tough customer and looking forward to more of him this season.

hesham

Established Member
His progress since the beg of the year has been pretty amazing, you could see it last season that he just needed games under his belt. Now that he has settled in he is much more comfortable positioning himself on the pitch and is much quicker in his response.

Captain

Established Member
It's fluid, there is nothing wrong with his technique or speed but I feel that he can't pass in as many angles as the other two. Cesc goes without saying and Denilson can play all sorts of passes back to the defenders.

dutchMasta

Cesc is clearly better, but I rate Song's passing above Denilson's. Song's pass to Sagna against Celtic was not easy at all, and he pretty much nailed it. His backheel pass to Cesc was quality against Everton too. I think he's got his angles covered, it's just about choice, he chooses to go for the riskier pass, unless it's too risky. His decision making is very good generally. He's shown a lot of this last season, but it seems a lot more refined this season.

Anzac

Established Member
Top marks for Song to date - VERY pleased with his efforts.
IMO what he's shown is also the TYPE of DM/holding CM we want to anchor the 433 = NOT a small B2B Flamini type, but a physical no prisoners approach ball winner (but not a head case).
It's for this reason that I don't see we have anyone else of that type in the squad other than TV.
Keep knocking them over in midfield makes life a LOT easier for the back 4.

Gurgen

Established Member
Song has been very good. I still worry a bit about his tendency to switch off at times in a game. He really likes to play in one tempo and when it gets quick his positioning can be a bit off. I have full faith in him to improve this side of his game though.

MAK 14

Established Member
I'm very pleased with Song's progress so far. He is playing well, and is vital player in our 4-3-3 formation. He understands his position and what he's got to do well, and Song gives Fabregas and Denilson a free license to get forward as much as they want. I'm also very pleased that when Song goes on a run, Denilson just slots back into Song's position - seems like they've got a good understanding.

MAK 14

Established Member
nidza7 said:
agree with all above,we still need one player bought in there though.It`s a long season.
Agreed. Also, when Song goes off to the African Nations, i'm a bit worried with the cover that he's got. It might be Diaby who covers for him, but if we don't sign anyone in this window, i'm hoping that Wenger signs a replacement in January. Or even better, he could buy one now.

Anzac

Established Member
January would be too late IMO - the newbie would need to start immediately as Song will have already gone.

nidza7

Established Member
It`s not only a thing of ACN for Song,it`s him or one of Cesc and Denilson being injured(knock wood) or rotating for rest purpose.We need one more quality body there in this transfer window.Hope AW somehow sort this out.

Anzac

Established Member
nidza7 said:
It`s not only a thing of ACN for Song,it`s him or one of Cesc and Denilson being injured(knock wood) or rotating for rest purpose.We need one more quality body there in this transfer window.Hope AW somehow sort this out.

IMO we need 2 more in midfield just to be safe.
As much as we don't have ANY cover for Song at DM, we are currently in a similar position re Cesc for creativity in midfield with both Rosicky & Nasri out for at least another month.

nidza7

Established Member
Anzac said:
nidza7 said:

IMO we need 2 more in midfield just to be safe.
As much as we don't have ANY cover for Song at DM, we are currently in a similar position re Cesc for creativity in midfield with both Rosicky & Nasri out for at least another month.

that`t not happening.

dutchMasta

We don't need that, just 1 more defensive player. Rosicky and Nasri will be back, and Ramsey is sufficient cover for the time they are out. We need cover at centre back though, someone to replace Senderos as I don't think his head his here anymore. Hangelaand will do nicely.

Arsenal Quotes

What does Arsenal mean? It means class. The structure of the Club, everything has a classy feel about it. It isn't always about success, there is more than that and this is what makes it a cut above the rest.

Charlie Nicholas

Daily Transfer Updates

Thursday, May 23

Arsenal have agreed to part ways with midfielder Sambi Lokonga following talks with the player [Evening Standard]

Arsenal are likely to be priced out of a move for Sporting Lisbon’s £86m striker Viktor Gyokeres [Football Insider]

Arsenal are considering a move for Feyenoord GK Justin Bijlow as a replacement for Aaron Ramsdale [Sam Dean - The Telegraph]

Newcastle manager Eddie Howe is keen to reunite with Ramsdale if the club can make an acceptable offer [Sam Dean - The Telegraph]

Ajax LB Jorrel Hato remains the club’s top defensive target [Charles Watts]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom