• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Song and the defensive midfield position

Is Song good enough to start for Arsenal this season

• Yes

Votes: 31 37.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 28 34.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Anzac

Established Member
dutchMasta said:
We don't need that, just 1 more defensive player. Rosicky and Nasri will be back, and Ramsey is sufficient cover for the time they are out. We need cover at centre back though, someone to replace Senderos as I don't think his head his here anymore. Hangelaand will do nicely.

It's NOT Rosicky & Nasri that I'm worried about - it's Cesc while they are out. We are in a position where we are relying upon him to play every match until they are fit to return to spell him = we have no other creative options in CM.

arsenalsocks

Established Member
nidza7 said:
Anzac said:
nidza7 said:
It`s not only a thing of ACN for Song,it`s him or one of Cesc and Denilson being injured(knock wood) or rotating for rest purpose.We need one more quality body there in this transfer window.Hope AW somehow sort this out.

IMO we need 2 more in midfield just to be safe.
As much as we don't have ANY cover for Song at DM, we are currently in a similar position re Cesc for creativity in midfield with both Rosicky & Nasri out for at least another month.

that`t not happening.

It shouldn't happen. Assuming you mean two quality players, they'll be expensive, and would want to walk into the team. Because when Song comes back from ACN, and Rosicky and Nasri come back from injuries, we'll have a lot of midfielders we can't fit into the team, not to mention the up and coming ones, e.g. Ramsey, Wilshere, and even possibly JET, Merida, etc.

We need only one signing, at defensive mid, and even then Song and Denilson will be probably be displaced at the return of Rosicky and Nasri. Not to mention Diaby. I'm actually hoping Diaby or Denilson explode this season, and evolve into this legendary DM we're all wishing for.

arsenalsocks

Established Member
Anzac said:
dutchMasta said:
We don't need that, just 1 more defensive player. Rosicky and Nasri will be back, and Ramsey is sufficient cover for the time they are out. We need cover at centre back though, someone to replace Senderos as I don't think his head his here anymore. Hangelaand will do nicely.

It's NOT Rosicky & Nasri that I'm worried about - it's Cesc while they are out. We are in a position where we are relying upon him to play every match until they are fit to return to spell him = we have no other creative options in CM.

Hmmm, thats actually a pretty good point you have there, but I dunno, Wenger's put all his money on Cesc, he's not going to buy a similar player and make Cesc feel threatened. Besides, I think he's got Denilson down for the job now, the creative centre midfielder.

Webdesignlab

Established Member
There should be a quote at the top of each message that says ... "One DM does not cut it ... ACN ... injurries etc".

Then we don't have to keep saying it.

Meanwhile we CAN say that Song is just what we need.

arsenalsocks

Established Member
Actually, lots of clubs have just one player of a certain role. Who fills in for Mascherano? For Carrick?

But the only thing is they won't be going to ACN.

Anzac

Established Member
arsenalsocks said:
It shouldn't happen. Assuming you mean two quality players, they'll be expensive, and would want to walk into the team. Because when Song comes back from ACN, and Rosicky and Nasri come back from injuries, we'll have a lot of midfielders we can't fit into the team, not to mention the up and coming ones, e.g. Ramsey, Wilshere, and even possibly JET, Merida, etc.

We need only one signing, at defensive mid, and even then Song and Denilson will be probably be displaced at the return of Rosicky and Nasri. Not to mention Diaby. I'm actually hoping Diaby or Denilson explode this season, and evolve into this legendary DM we're all wishing for.

1. Not if VDV IS available for anything less than 15m, let alone 10m;
2. Rosicky & Nasri are still at least 6 weeks away from being fit;
3. Our 3rd tier are still only teens = not even Wilshere is prodigeous enough a talent to force his way into the 1st team as yet - therefore they do not merit consideration as anything other than CCup;
4. I can't see Rosicky or Nasri displacing Song - Denilson is playing in their role currently & likewise they'd provide cover for Cesc;
5. Denilson has shown more suitability to DM than Diaby, and I don't want Denilson there - Denilson has shown more than Diaby full stop.

Anzac

Established Member
arsenalsocks said:
I'm actually hoping Diaby or Denilson explode this season, and evolve into this legendary DM we're all wishing for.

I thought that's exactly what Song had been doing to date?

progman07

Established Member
Anzac said:
Rosicky is one week away, if you can trust Wenger's interview from last week where he said "two weeks".

arsenalsocks

Established Member
Anzac said:
arsenalsocks said:
I'm actually hoping Diaby or Denilson explode this season, and evolve into this legendary DM we're all wishing for.

I thought that's exactly what Song had been doing to date?

We need backup :) or at least for them to become Flamini like.

Anzac

Established Member
arsenalsocks said:
Hmmm, thats actually a pretty good point you have there, but I dunno, Wenger's put all his money on Cesc, he's not going to buy a similar player and make Cesc feel threatened. Besides, I think he's got Denilson down for the job now, the creative centre midfielder.

Denilson isn't a real creative CM = he's a good B2B that can turn his hand at either discipline, but does nor excell at either.

VDV can compliment Cesc in CM, OR he can provide creative cover for Cesc or AA. Likewise if Denilson IS the cover for Song as DM then VDV can partner Cesc ahead of Denilson.

For me VDV is the creative midfield/attack cover that Eboue provides for the defence. Rosicky is the luxury player simply because we don't know how much he will provide.

The fatalist in me is almost certain that with our injury record that Cesc will be injured before Rosicky or Nasri are back - the question is more of how serious as opposed to 'if'.

qs

Established Member
I'm worried about Songs age too, he's very young and its normal for players at his age to go through good spells and then bad. While at the moment he's been brilliant theres no guarantee he can keep it going.

Another thing is complacency. While Song doesn't strike me as the type to get complacent theres no guarantee and it'd be perfect to have someone else there fighting to take his spot in the first team away from him.

Another DM should be a priority.

Anzac

Established Member
arsenalsocks said:
Actually, lots of clubs have just one player of a certain role. Who fills in for Mascherano? For Carrick?

Mascherano = that young fair haired Brazilian? Lucas?
Carrick = Anderson/Scholes?

Anzac

Established Member
progman07 said:
Anzac said:
Rosicky is one week away, if you can trust Wenger's interview from last week where he said "two weeks".

Missed it - and that would only mean away from starting training as it hasn't been the initial 6 weeks out as yet.

Shadow Moses

Established Member
Anzac said:
arsenalsocks said:

Mascherano = that young fair haired Brazilian? Lucas?
Carrick = Anderson/Scholes?

Alonso before he got sold. Aquillani is expected to fill in that position as well.

Fletcher as well for ManU.

Chelsea have Mikel, Essien and Ballack for that role.

Viking

Lucas is already playing in their midfield. The backup is that Plessis guy.

Regarding the ACN and Song, Cameroon are indeed fourth in their group, with only one point (out of 6 possible), but there are 6 games to go afaik.

Anzac

Established Member
nidza7 said:
someone wrote Cameroon was not going to quailify for ACN,right?

They're struggling in their group, but the winner goes to the WC & all but the last go to the ACN, so they'd need to finish dead last behind Morocco who have been very poor = that's if I've remembered what Klaus said, I think.

Anzac

Established Member
arsenalsocks said:
We need backup :) or at least for them to become Flamini like.

Agreed on the former, but I actually don't want a B2B cover for DM - I want someone to have a physical presence in the air or on the ground. Flamini was good in a 2 CM midfield but I want someone more defensive as such - Flamini would be suited to the role alongside Cesc as much as anything.

Anzac

Established Member
Captain said:
if cesc goes down, we still have ramsey and in a real pinch Merida.

As what - creative CM?????
So we'd look to 2 teenagers, neither of whom are current starting quality.

Arsenal Quotes

If you don't believe you can do it then you have no chance at all.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom