• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alexis Sanchez: Off to the Old Toilet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Its a hard one... All the stats & production suggest he is better upfront but as a team we seem to play better with him wide.

I'd disagree, I think we're more fluid with Alexis up top.

Alexis tries to force the play an awful lot from wide areas. Constant cutting in, pausing and considering playing in Monreal or going it alone. When Alexis is up top he has more of an unpredictability to his game. Plus, he's our best finisher.

Last edited:

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

One of the reasons he's better as a CF. Less opportunity to force the play.

I seem to remember an article going around recently showing similar stats for Suarez. Some players have such a high work rate and they make lots of errors but over all it doesn't have a negative impact because they have so many good points to off set the bad.

I think the general analysis is, do we really care how many misplaced passes he makes if he has scored 24 goals so far? I know I don't!

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I'd disagree, I think we're more fluid with Alexis up top.

Alexis tries to force the play an awful lot from wide areas. Constant cutting it, pausing and considering playing in Monreal or going it alone. When Alexis is up top he has more of an unpredictability to his game. Plus, he's our best finisher.

I agree. Alexis showed when he was our CF that he head learned from his spell last season and given a run at it, he improved a lot. Wenger was praising him and saying he was surprised how quickly Alexis had adapted to CF. Then Giroud returned from injury and so too did Welbeck, Alexis was shifted wide and our downhill spiral started. Tbh I think it also started the negative thoughts in Alexis mind. If I was him watching Giroud and boy blunder playing CF, I would have negative thoughts too!

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
The Guardian article is interesting, Wengers point about Alexis value to us now is only £8m is correct, and that is why Wenger would be willing to lose him in a years time for nothing. He also says about the cost of replacing him. It all makes sense and I hope that Wenger keeps to it and doesn't let Alexis go anywhere.

“You amortise a transfer during the length of the contract,” Wenger said. “So, when you pay an amount of money and when the player signs a four-year contract, you deduct every year 25% of a contract. The problem that you have to analyse, always, is: ‘Can you find better? For what kind of money?’ The inflation is so big that sometimes, even mathematically, there can be advantages to keep a player until the end of a contract.”

scytheavatar

Established Member

Any insight to this? Sanchez on Instagram: "You'll notice that what today appears to be a sacrifice, will end up being the greatest achievement of your life."

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I agree. Alexis showed when he was our CF that he head learned from his spell last season and given a run at it, he improved a lot. Wenger was praising him and saying he was surprised how quickly Alexis had adapted to CF. Then Giroud returned from injury and so too did Welbeck, Alexis was shifted wide and our downhill spiral started. Tbh I think it also started the negative thoughts in Alexis mind. If I was him watching Giroud and boy blunder playing CF, I would have negative thoughts too!

Spiral started way before that , I'd rather play Alexis up top or 2nd striker but he started dropping deeper and deeper which culminated with the Chelsea game where he was virtually non existent . I think Wenger playing him wide is just down to the lack of quality in midfield . Simple as that .

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
I dont see the structure or other players playing well consistently with Alexis up front... In the big games especially it just goes to **** with the one man press & dropping so deep for the ball. Sad we have never seen him wide with a good striker upfront around Özil.

Either way I cant see him being here next season. If he has a desire to leave & we get a 30m+ bid makes sense to sell. Todays quotes look like a PR game.... Alexis money hungry & the club are willing to hold him hostage for the final year. Find it hard to think why he would stay.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Spiral started way before that , I'd rather play Alexis up top or 2nd striker but he started dropping deeper and deeper which culminated with the Chelsea game where he was virtually non existent . I think Wenger playing him wide is just down to the lack of quality in midfield . Simple as that .

Until the middle of Dec we had lost only 1 PL game, the opener to Liverpool. We then lost 2 in a row to Everton & City. I think its fair to say the 2nd half has been our downfall.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Until the middle of Dec we had lost only 1 PL game, the opener to Liverpool. We then lost 2 in a row to Everton & City. I think its fair to say the 2nd half has been our downfall.

Wasn't he still playing CF in those matches ?

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.

Any insight to this? Sanchez on Instagram: "You'll notice that what today appears to be a sacrifice, will end up being the greatest achievement of your life."

Think we're reading too much into this. It's going to be a long summer, that's for sure.

Straws will be well and fully clutched.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

His social media is basically one of those annoying women on Facebook who write cryptic statements trying to get a "what's wrong babe?" comment.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Yup just sounds like a motivational quote to me , nothing to do with transfers.

He does strike as the type of guy who loves those sort of cliche motivational quotes. Probably has posters of Atom and Humber with "fight for your dreams!" "the world starts outside your comfort zone", etc., written under them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

No one could have imagined for a single second that he would come to us. Only David Dein, Sol, his agent, and I knew what was going on. When I called a press conference to announce the arrival of a new player, and Sol Campbell walked into the room full of journalists, it was a bombshell.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom