• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

All Time Managers

Who is the greatest modern day manager? I have excluded Herbie Chapman, as his pre war record will s

• Bertie Mee

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terry Neil

• George Graham

• Stewart Houston

• Arsène Wenger

• Total voters

leongsh

The greatest Arsenal manager of all time? Easy - Herbert Chapman. If not for Herbert Chapman, I don't think Arsenal would be what they are today - think about it.

The next best being Arsène Wenger and followed very closely by George Graham. George Graham moulded the ultra mean Arsenal defense and laid the foundation for Arsène Wenger to build on. However, Arsène Wenger has made it a second revolution (after Herbert Chapman's ground-breaking revolution) at Arsenal.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Even if Chapman wasn't precluded, I think now that Arsène has, in my mind, usurped him. To have acheived all that he has, with a net spend of £5m per year, in the modern game is phenomenal.

He is now building what many believe to be his third great team, and this one could be even better than two before. Like Chapman before him, his influence extends way beyond the 90 minutes every Saturday and will be felt long after he is gone.

That being said, I wouldn't argue with anyone who felt Chapman was #1 either.

goonerwarsh

Established Member
Before I go to bed every night, I make myself a warm cup of cocoa and pray to the great lord above, and I thank him for Arsène Wenger

jayman

Exiled In Newcastle said:
Wenger. No question.

And to be fair to him, I honestly think that in 50 years time when people look back at this era, they'll agree he was every bit as important in the history of our great club as Mr Chapman.

Btw - who can name me 4 other Arsenal managers since Bertie Mee?

Don Howe, Bruce Rioch, Steve Burtenshaw (interim), Pat Rice (interim)

Don Pacifico

Established Member
leongsh said:
The greatest Arsenal manager of all time? Easy - Herbert Chapman. If not for Herbert Chapman, I don't think Arsenal would be what they are today - think about it.

The next best being Arsène Wenger and followed very closely by George Graham. George Graham moulded the ultra mean Arsenal defense and laid the foundation for Arsène Wenger to build on. However, Arsène Wenger has made it a second revolution (after Herbert Chapman's ground-breaking revolution) at Arsenal.

Thats true actually. But this is post war managers. Chapman certainly made a massive contribution (anyone that has looked into our club's history will realise that). From his shock win in the FA Cup final against Huddersfield, he was a special boss, and he transformed the way the club worked, much like Arsène did. But I feel that it is simply a case of history that puts Chapman in pole position. The way I see it, if Wenger had managed us when Chapman did, we would have been a 'great' club long before the current era.

daniel

Wow...
It seems Wenger will win this one by a mile....
Anyways, my vote goes to Le Boss aswell...

famous no 10

Established Member
Yeah, it's Wenger by a mile...but Bertie and George did turn the club around while we were going nowhere, and we really were going nowhere.

oOTruGunNaOo

How can you seriously pick anyone other than wenger, with all the class he's brought here along with the silverware .

Dougan17

yeah you can't overlook what bertie mee and george did for the club, I mean those are just amazing contributions, especially with what they were able to accomplish in their respective eras with the squads they had or built. With that said, Wenger has had an amazing reign, built up two superb sides, discovered and managed probably the greatest talent to ever come to Arsenal in Thierry Henry, matching him up with Dennis perfectly, and he's brought the club to another level. The only manager to have the impact on the club, raising it to new heights as Arsène has done, is chapman.

psycho_chihuahua

Graham's XI vs Wenger's XI

If George Graham fielded his best XI against Arsène Wenger's best XI, using the tactics and strategies they're known for - who do you think would win?

danidan

I think Chapman should have been included in this, Wenger and Chapman have been the two revolutionaries at the club and probably the only two serious contenders. George Graham did an incredible job but he didn't change the ways of thinking at Arsenal.. If it wasn't for Wenger we were and would have continued to slip into UEFA Cup territory. Wenger also transofrmed us into title challengers at a crucial time in football when it is vital to be in the champions league for money. If we had missed out on this we would be in a similar position to Sp**s.

Now, if/when Wenger leaves, although time will tell, we should, unless Pascal Cygan takes over, forever remain in the top 4 of english football.

asajoseph

Established Member
Wenger for me, he's impacted everything at the club, from top to bottom.

Who on earth voted for StewartHouston?

Ricky_AFC

Wenger transformed the club forever. Not only did he bring us so much success without using up all our money but from that success he got us a new training ground, a new stadium, many world class players and a team that plays champions league football every season.

It has to be Wenger by a mile. The man's contribution to our club can be matched nowhere. But Graham was also a great manager I feel, a lot of people think of him as a man who we played boring football under but from my younger year memories and videos I have watched we played some truly great football and he achieved a lot with a squad with nowhere near as much talent as recent times.

Arsenal Quotes

A football team is like a beautiful woman. When you do not tell her, she forgets she is beautiful.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom