• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Álvaro Morata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

PEA had his breakout season in 12-13 with 19 goals and 8 assists from the wing. He was around the same age as Morata when he did that.

I suppose you can give Morata a chance with his 11 goals 11 assists in a tougher league. Wenger will definitely love his assist numbers though, hence the interest.

Wasn't aware of those assist numbers...definitely something to work with but 51M is 66M EUR...that's an insane amount for Morata

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
How I feel when people complain about money in the bank all season then don't want to spend it.

latest

Loken

In a world where West Ham are splashing £33m on Lacazette and STILL getting rejected, a player of Morata's potential, and existing experience is well worth £50m.

Just have to get used to it. All those years of frugal saving for the "£100m warchest" has been a bit of a waste, now it's devalued so much in the market. Besides, it's not like it's our money is it? Better off being spent that filling the pockets of Stan.

Lancelot

Established Member
I'd take Morata for any price tbh. He is not one of the superstrikers in the world, but we are not getting those anyway. He is young, but seasoned at two of the best clubs in the world. He is tall and strong but still a respectable dribbler with good pace. I think he's a pretty good allrounder, and I know for sure he can score goals. When he broke through at Madrid and Spain u19-u21 the only thing he could do was score, real instinctive finisher. He's now a much more complete footballer, and I think he'll thrive in our system, with a secondary goalscorer in Alexis and a pure creator in Özil. Expect big things from him at the Euros, now that he has Del Bosque's vote of confidence.
Fantastico write-up, mate.

I found this piece not long after we were first linked with him back in March and, basically, you've just summed everything up nicely.

Hopefully he will start for Juventus against AC Milan in the Coppa Italia Final this coming Saturday; the lad certainly doesn't shy away from big occasions, i.e. having scored in every single match for 5 consecutive matches in the 14/15 CL against the likes of Dortmund (R16), Real Madrid (Semi) and Barcelona (Final)

I'll surely be watching that match.

Source - just-football.com

Last edited:

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I doubt that 51m figure is true. Think 35-40m should do it.

Remember we have to basically compensate Real buying out Juve. Doubt they'd bother selling us Morata for like an 8M profit.

We're essentially paying two transfer fees

nicky47

Established Member
The price seems a little far-fetched to me, can't imagine we'd start off that high. But if we are indeed in for him, and going to spend big on him, I completely trust Wenger's judgement.

Seems like such a tricky transfer though with this Real business.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I thought Real could buy him back for just £24m?

Yeah but if we pay 30M they're still only selling Morata for 6M which I'd doubt they'd go for.

He's worth about 30M so they're probably gonna want to make that much profit.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Doesn't add up to Arsenal.

If Real are pulling him from Juve to sell, then it's for PSG money.

60M maybe. Off there I think.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

How I feel when people complain about money in the bank all season then don't want to spend it.

latest

Loool true, but its understandable.

Its not that people don't want us to spend money, its just 50M is alot (yes even today) for a guy like Morata, he's just not quite proven enough yet.

For me personally, I think £35M plus £15M in add ons (that is 15m broken up; like 5M if he scores 20 goals, 5m if we win the epl etc), would be a a fair deal and what we should be aiming for.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Fantastico write-up, mate.

I found this piece not long after we were first linked with him back in March and, basically, you've just summed everything up nicely.

Hopefully he will start for Juventus against AC Milan in the Coppa Italia Final this coming Saturday; the lad certainly doesn't shy away from big occasions, i.e. having scored in every single match for 5 consecutive matches in the 14/15 CL against the likes of Dortmund (R16), Real Madrid (Semi) and Barcelona (Final)

I'll certainly be watching that match.

Source - just-football.com
Cheers mate, I try! Back in the day I used to watch every match of Real because of Özil and also the matches of Spain's young teams because of the Thiago-Isco combination :drool:. Those two were on another level than the rest of their age group. Morata always struck me as a pure goalscorer, because he did not really partake in play yet always scored. He has come a long way since then, and he really is a season or two away from becoming unattainable. I really have no worries about his record this season, he is a natural goal scorer. His years at Juve have made him much more usefull for Madrid and picking of one of their crown jewels will certainly be expensive.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Here's a selection of comments from juventuz.com's Morata thread:

"We already know the minimum level we can expect from Morata, which is inconsistent scoring, but even when not scoring he's creating space and chances for his teammates and getting assists. He's also the 1 striker on the team that seems to work well with every other striker."

"It's the inconsistency, and his tendency to not use his strength, as it seems he gets taken down too easily.

That being said, I've loved this kid since he first signed, and I want him to stay. But he is not yet complete."

"Sadly we are losing a great man and a great player after being teased for 2 years, and now Madrid will reap the fruits."

"He may not be a 50M striker yet but i'd see him as an investment for the future."

"He has flashes of brilliance especially in year one. Fewer moments in year 2 and I think its because he didn't know how to respond to the competitive nature of fighting for a spot."

"One of the things I love most about him is how well he can turn a defender and suddenly be at lightning speed. Hard to find that these days."

"Don't see Morata playing for Real next season. If he leaves, it'll only be to play as a starter.

Something to note: EPL suits him better than Serie A."

"I expect next season to be his breakthrough and let's hope it's with Juventus."

"I literally couldn't give less of a $#@! if Morata stayed or left. Hes never gonna be that guy unlike Pogba or Dybala. Definitely expendable."

"Those two are ridiculously talented and will be considered the absolute best for years to come you can't have a team full of Pogbas and Dybalas. Morata has all the tools to become one of the best strikers around."

"What if EPL clubs end up not wanting Morata? They have proven their ineptitude of identifying quality and rather go for some pacy black players from Holland."

"Sometimes I think PL fans are literally less evolved than us" [After someone on RedCafe said he was a slower, less versatile Welbeck]

"There was a quote on the Arsenal forum asking if Morata is slower than Giroud the other day, if you can believe that. Insular football fans."

"We can't give up on him so early just coz he dint score enough goals this yr. As I said,when he isn't scoring,he is assisting. When you pay a big sum for someone like him who's only 23,you're investing him for the future. Even if he performs half decent/not upto expected levels we can easily recover that investment purely because of the amount of money lying around these days. So people shouldn't be concerned if he flops.

Morata isn't prolific yet but he has already built up a reputation which has alerted the interest of most top clubs.That means they clearly value his talent even if he isn't scoring much."

"He had a far better season than people give him credit for. He was our second leading assist man behind only Pogba, with 11 assists.

11 goals - 11 assists in 2365 minutes is actually pretty damn good."

"I really hope we keep him. Pure CL type of player. Always there on the big nights."

"This is a player who is a season or two away from becoming a bonafide consistent top striker."

"He's scored some of my favourite goals of the last two seasons as well, the left footed strike vs Man City is unreal. I'd be happier if his scoring slump this season wasn't so long, but 4 months is a concern for any striker when they don't go through hot streaks in the rest of the season."

"Morata has tons more talent and potential than Costa ever had. If I had to pick I'd easily go with Morata. He adds much more to the team."

"Buffon: 'Morata has technical and physical qualities that are not found in a lot of players. He can become a champion.'

And there are people who want to just replace with random fast,pacy player...

Would be the signing of the summer if we manage pull it off."
Ah, so that's how you do your scouting, Ivan.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

His numbers aren't great, but he barely plays for 90 minutes. Only 16 league starts this season and has come as a sub 18 times. He played on average 43 minutes per game.

There is something to work with, at 30M he would be a good buy, but I reckon Madrid will ask closer to 50M which would be ridiculous.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Yeah but if we pay 30M they're still only selling Morata for 6M which I'd doubt they'd go for.

He's worth about 30M so they're probably gonna want to make that much profit.
Unless they think of it as a quick way to generate cash flow. They could buy him back for 24M then immediately sell him to use for 40M. That's a quick 16M profit.

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
he barely played as a lone striker this season, and the season before that.
he needs a partner, i dont see him working on our system.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I don't know why we'd waste money on buying a striker that can beat multiple defender from the half way line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

In June 1996, David Dein, Peter Hill-Wood and Danny Fiszman came out to Nagoya to meet me on behalf of Arsenal. Within an hour we came to an agreement. The Japanese directors didn't try to keep hold of me in the usual way but talked with persuasive arguments... But as far as I was concerned, the decision was taken. Arsenal. A decision that would change my life.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Sunday, May 19

RB Leipzig want to offer Benjamin Šeško a new contract to stay for one more year [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal are the negotiating table for Fenerbache LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Takvim via Sport_Witness]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom