• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Antoine Griezmann

BobP

Memri Fan
benjamin86 said:
BobP said:
If Sociedad sell Griezmann to PSG just do them by bringing back Vela for peanuts meaning they lose both instead of just the one. Mind you not sure why Griezmann would want to go to PSG considering they are well stocked in attacking positions, does Lucas even get any games anymore?

Think PSG will be selling a couple of attackers Lavezzi perhaps?

You would think if we want Griezmann we could just offer money and strike off the buy back clause on Vela for a valuation of around 10m+.

Exactly, simple solution.

BobP

Memri Fan
Wenger was raving over him on French TV during the Paraguay friendly, comparing him to Pires.

ArseGod

As I don't see Real selling Di Maria, I think Griez will be our wide target. We have the buy-back with Vela as collateral. His buy-out has been reported to be in the mid-twenty million range. Logic would suggest that we can land him for a cut-rate because of Vela. He can play all across the front and is really hitting form. And Wenger clearly rates him. Think we'll see him as our wide signing, and if we miss out, then Vela will return for peanuts.

Not bad options

GDeep™

League is very weak
Wenger loves Griezmann, been raving about him for 2 years now. The spanner in the works? PSG are also looking at him.

Going to be a summer where we let Chelsea, PSG, City etc play, and we'll come out later.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Griezmann seems like an Arsenal type player to me, I hope we try to get him. He's very quick, composed finisher from a wide position and can really link up well with other forwards. Still young and can only get better too which could see him turn into some goalscorer in a few years time.

ArseGod

Griez or Di Maria?

For what we need, what do people think?

Just hypothetical. If you can't tell, I just started an office job today and my rate of posting has corresponded:)

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
At first I wasnt impressed with bringing him in, but more I check him more I like the idea. I love players who onow how to play without a ball, cause thats what you mostly do during 90 minutes. He is also energetic, has nice technique and finishing. Would fit in perfect in our system. We would still probably lack a Giroud sub, but then again, with Griez, Theo and Ox, even a new good rb, even Podolski could be useful where he wants to play- up front

ArseGod

Signing Griez should do nothing to hinder our pursuit of Giroud cover. It would certainly make Poldi a more centre-forward like option. If we play two up front at times, I think Poldi could be a real asset moving forward.

Tir Na Nog

ArseGod said:
Griez or Di Maria?

For what we need, what do people think?

Just hypothetical. If you can't tell, I just started an office job today and my rate of posting has corresponded:)

Wenger says we need goals, Di Maria is a special player but you could argue Griezmann is more what we need than Di maria.

You can say you cannot turn down a player like Di Maria to get someone like Griezmann, but at the same time can you really turn down someone as young as Griezmann with the numbers he's getting in terms of goals and assists when we're crying out for more forward runners and goal scorers. Di Maria adds more creativity, which is well and good but Griezmann does offer some creativity but his game is about end product and that's what we need from our wide players next year. There is of coarse the potential that Di Maria might excel here and start producing more goals, however there seems to be more of a guarantee with Griezmann and as I've said already everything about screams that of an Arsenal type player.

I can see Di Maria doing special things in tricky games which might be something we like, although I see Griezmann scoring goals and making an impact no matter who the opponent is as long as we're creating chances.

I'd slightly edge towards Griezmann purely because he's more what we need.

Impact

Established Member
I'd take either. Griezmann is the bigger goal threat, but Di Maria is better all round player. If any could be signed, I'd go for it.

Btw, I'm not sure where this perception that Griezmann can play as a striker has come from. As far as I know, he is a wide forward and that only.

Tir Na Nog

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rwipf37cuY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rwipf37cuY</a>

Here's his goals from last season, I think the striker perception comes from his goals tbh, he scores a lot of headers and seems to have good movement and is a very good finisher.

I think he's probably better coming in from wide area's to score though. Also I don't think Real Sociedad play with a traditional CF, so some of them seem to float around at will and a lot of the times when they're attacking Griezmann does take up that role.

Anzac

Established Member
Griezmann in what capacity/role?

He's not going to sit on the bench so does that mean as a replacement for Walcott? OR
are we going to change the LWF role and play 2 direct players on either flank?
Does that then mean that Podolski becomes CF or surplus?
Particularly if we also buy Remy.

My 'issue' being that Griezmann seems to be an upgrade on the Walcott/Podolski type rather than a Gervinho/Di Maria type.

Iceman10

Established Member
Anzac said:
Griezmann in what capacity/role?

He's not going to sit on the bench so does that mean as a replacement for Walcott? OR
are we going to change the LWF role and play 2 direct players on either flank?
Does that then mean that Podolski becomes CF or surplus?
Particularly if we also buy Remy.

My 'issue' being that Griezmann seems to be an upgrade on the Walcott/Podolski type rather than a Gervinho/Di Maria type.

Anzac fretting over the possibility of improved squad depth? Can that be for real?

AW needs to break the habit of taking certain players into the red zone and rotate more to enable us to stick it out through a long season. Walcott likely won't be back to 100% for the beginning of the season either. It is an interesting choice between Griezmann and Sanchez if both are available though. I'm still obviously highly sceptical regarding Di Maria being possible. The upshot though is that Gnabry could benefit from a season loan playing regular football, that should be determined during pre-season.

Re. Remy if we bring in a WF/SS then I can only see us bringing in one CF, and that means must be quality. That should not be Remy IMO, need a rung or two above. Some say we need a "different type" of striker to Giroud but if we have quality and mobility set for WF/SS, both flanks if required, I don't see much problem with a relatively similar player such as Mandzukic or Bony, as we know our system doesn't change much match to match and plug and play isn't so bad, what we primarily need is internal competition, rotation, and injury cover.

Toast

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/14/antoine-griezmann-admits-he-snubbed-arsenal-for-atletico-madrid-this-summer-4906159/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/14/antoine-g ... r-4906159/</a>

Antoine Griezmann has admitted that he turned down the chance to move to Arsenal this summer because he wanted to work with Diego Simeone at Atletico Madrid.

The France international was chased by The Gunners and Los Rojiblancos during the past transfer window after the 23-year-old forced his way into Didier Deschamps’ World Cup squad following impressive performances for Real Sociedad last term.

Despite interest from Arsenal, Griezmann believed that Simeone was the man to help him develop further as a footballer – not Gunners manager Arsène Wenger.

‘Why Spain and not elsewhere? This is my Championship, my home. I’m happy here and Atletico is a great club. The [champions] were willing to pay €30 million [£23.8m] for me,’ he told France Football.

‘I had the boss [Simeone] on the phone. He motivated me and said the club really wanted me. I knew that I was coming here to learn.’

He added: ‘Was it weird when PSG and Arsenal were also interested? [Atletico are] still the champions of Spain.

‘I needed a club like that and a coach like Diego Simeone to progress. I always demand intensity in training. That’s my style and I like it.’

Arsenal Quotes

The club changed so much, I changed with it and football has changed with us... But one thing never changes: the 90 minutes still belong to the player, 90 minutes during which he is king.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom