• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal lacking firepower upfront?

nnaife

Does any1 here share my concern about our inabilty to convert chances in Thierry's absence?

Firstly i have no problem with Reyes at all cause i reckon he'll score a reasonable tally this season, he's got a killer instinct in front of goal and will definitely tear most defences a new arsehole. :)

The other strikers are a worry for me. :(
We had chances go amiss yesterday, Ali was the most guilty followed by Bergkamp and Reyes was very unlucky.

I'm currently not convinced with Aliadiere as our third choice striker should injury befall Reyes or Henry. He currently lacks Reyes's killer instinct and doesn't appear as being able to threaten the opposition physically or with that sudden accelerative burst of pace which Reyes and Henry can and both do.

Van Persie will need time to settle in but he doesn't strike me as being a goal machine, he will score but will create a lot more, besides he may be playing on the left wing for quite a few games anyway. I reckon he'll be excellent this season as he is learnin from the master.

Jeffers isnt an option for me, i feel his overall game against quality opposition isnt up to the job and we should offload him asap. Sorry fanny.

I guess what im driving at is that i feel we're lacking another reliable goal scorer.

Does any1 else share my concern or should i just have a coke and smile and shut the **** up and give the boys a chance to shine. ;D

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
hard to tell... you also have to remember that we are still early... not match-sharp yet... we're getting there as was evident on the chances created... i think we will be OK without TH for a little while.... many of the EPL defences still dont know about Reyes yet or how to mark him... and if we can convert 2 or 3 chances a match in TH's absence, we should be OK....

but, i guess time will tell

Ally

Seems to me is that the only thing is missing is a reliable utility man who'll come in when called upon a few times a season and score goals without whinging he's not a starter.

Hard to come across, no?

Personally I simply do not rate Aliadiere, I hope he proves me wrong but thus far he's done absolutely nowt for this football club's first team, and while he's young he's not anywhere close to being a starter and he doesn't seem to be much of a sub either.

I wouldn't worry about lack of 'firepower', that's an over-reaction - we have three world class strikers (Henry Reyes and Bergy), one exceptional young talent (Van P) and one filler (Ali).

For backup, which is the 'problem', what's wrong with Toure or Pires nipping up front for 20 minutes?

Could think of worse. Not as if we're in tatters on the attacking front, mind. :wink:

nnaife

but Bergy isnt really a goal scorer anymore, he's closer to a foward playing playmaker.

Ally

With Bergkamp on the pitch, you score goals, because his quality and vision dictate the play and allow his partner to do more or less what they like in respect to movement and off the ball running; more freedom and abstract football than any other subsidiary striker would provide. This is in a 4-5-1 kinda way, means a different style with one sitting back far more than any other striker in the squad, but no-one's going to argue this doesn't work. He can step in and do the business.

Remember Ljungberg's appearances up front last season? Him and Bergkamp ripped Boro to bits in the FA Cup.

MightyArsenal

I guess we will just have to do with two players called henry and reyes...no pleasing some people I guess. other teams would bite off their own right arms to get one of these players.

Ally

MightyArsenal said:
I guess we will just have to do with two players called henry and reyes...no pleasing some people I guess. other teams would bite off their own right arms to get one of these players.

To be fair he was basically saying there's a shortage of out and out goalscorers in the squad to come in and be relied upon to score, and in that respect he's right. Just remember how versatile this team is, especially down the left, and NEVER underestimate that.

We're all perfectionists at heart I guess, heh. Although just cos the solution doesn't look orthodox doesn't mean it won't work. Hello Kolo!

A

Anonymous

not all of our goals need to come from strikers .. pies scores quite a bit also on the right we'll see freddie playing better this season because theres competition for the right wing spot edu will get a share of goals aswell i reckon :) dnt worry about where the goals are gonna come from :p

Gooner4Life

I think we are covered enough up front. If Henry were injured, we would have to choose 2 of the following:

van Persie
Bergkamp
Reyes
Aliadiere
Ljungberg

I don't think we could play van Persie and Bergkamp together up front only one of them. But if he were to play say Reyes and Ljungberg up front for a match then Pennant could have a go down the right hand side. We have plenty of options. We will need another striker next seaosn though when Bergkamp leaves and that striker could well be, and I hope will be, David Bentley.

Gregwin04

i dont think that we will strugal to score goals if we loose henry. at the moment the team is choping and changing up front we played 5 forwards in just two games so none of them could get any coherance with each other. we looked dominanant against ajax and if the front players were more mach fit and had played with each othere for a while then we would have prob chucked loads past them..

you have also got to remember that Reyes Van Persie and bergkamp have never played togeather untill the pre season so it will take time for them to get their act togeather.

as for Alli and jeffers well im not convinced on eaither of them jeffers game dont seem to work with the team.. what he needs to do is act more like van nist and wait for his team to do all the work and then nip in with the goals. alli is diffrent again i dont think he has the strength or the pace to play at the top his strength will improve with time and training but will his pace?

nnaife

pies?? ;D

lol joking, yes he does but we need dependable scorers at all times and over a long season players will get injured so who else can we depend on to without doubt to knock in the goals?

The midfield will contribute that i have no doubt of, but who can fill titi's or jose's boots up front and maintain the goal flow.

look at liverpool owen baros and cisse can all be relied on to score.
manure have RVN Saha and Smith all proven scorers.. with possibly rooney waiting to join judging from the rumours floating around.

Chelsea have Drogba, Kezman and Gudjohsenon.

These are all proven scorers, front men as opposed to wingers or playmakers.

We have Heny, Reyes and erm well Ali, get the picture? :wink:

beanz

Iv'e got just one word to say on this subject; Jose Antonio Reyes is the new king (hey, is'nt Reyes Spanish for king anyway?)
Alright I know there's more than one word, but I got a bit carried away :mrgreen:

nnaife

beanz said:
Iv'e got just one word to say on this subject; Jose Antonio Reyes is the new king (hey, is'nt Reyes Spanish for king anyway?)
Alright I know there's more than one word, but I got a bit carried away :mrgreen:

could be true but who will be our third king cause as the story goes there were always 3 kings. :)

MightyArsenal

Arsenal isnt about 1 or 2 players its about the team, even if we lose both reyes and henry during the season the way we play will remain the same and someone else will step in as always.

KingReyes

Established Member
I don't think Arsenal are lacking firwpower. We scored the most goals in the league last season and that was with two main scorers in Henry and Pires, This season I feel we have much more firepower, if healthy I feel Freddy will be back to his best and get amongst the goals. There is also Van Persie and Pennant who can get their share of goals and Edu will be more confident after his scoring abilities last season. But one player that is going to scoring freely I feel will be Reyes he's certain to score plenty. So in a way I actually think we will be stronger in attack than last season. Last season we had Kanu and Wiltord with the former not contributing that much whereas this season we have so many offensive weapons whether on the pitch or on the bench we seem to have plenty of scoreres.

nnaife

MightyArsenal said:
Arsenal isnt about 1 or 2 players its about the team, even if we lose both reyes and henry during the season the way we play will remain the same and someone else will step in as always.

I disagree you need do the right players in the squad otherwise you wouldn't be able to compete and sustain a reasonable challenge.

It was Henry who did most of the damage when needed last year with
30 goals, if he isnt available to business again the manager has got be certain he's got the right personnel in the squad to do so.
Quality players are very important.

brianfrance

Established Member
Henry > tha king
Reyes > tha king (bis)
Bergie > tha papa king
Van Persie > tha papa king's son

AND WE NEED MORE ?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

johe

brianfrance said:
Henry > tha king
Reyes > tha king (bis)
Bergie > tha papa king
Van Persie > tha papa king's son

AND WE NEED MORE ?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Of course we need more, the more kings, the closer we are to creating a feudal society in the club. :wink:

Oh, and I think Reyes means 'Kings' in Spanish, so I'd say Reyes counts for multiple kings. 8)

Arsenal Quotes

The match will be shown on Match of the Day later this evening and if you don't want to know the result look away now as we show you Tony Adams lifting the cup for Arsenal.

Steve Rider
Top Bottom