• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal set to play Man Utd reserves

quattro

^ agreed. unlike the mancs i hope that arsenal puts some quality on the field not only as a means of warming up to the season but to give the fans the quality entertainment they deserve for actually turning up and paying for tickets. plus beating the mancs is always nice.

Mark

Established Member
I think we will field a strong team. As someone has already said, Titi, Sol and Paddy will need match fitness. Lets win this shield and then win ourselves the Prem as well. Forget any curse.

calvinngai88

PolishGooner said:
Even if we beat their first team, they will find an excuse for sure.

Let's analayse this.

Consider ManU to get a Tuesday CL qualifier match and they play a weakened side for the charity shield, while Arsenal plays a strong side. When Arsenal wins, they'll say that their morales won't be hampered or whatsoever because they used the reserves.

If Arsenal uses a weak side too, without Henry, Campbell and Vieira, and wins. Arsenal fans would be elated, but ManU fans might think it's pure luck.

Consider ManU to get a Wednesday CL qualifier match and they play a strong side but lost to Arsenal's strong side. Ferguson will say his players are distracted by Wednesday's match.

If they lose to Arsenal's weak side, Ferguson will say his players had played well and were unfortunate in the loss.

No matter what, they'll still give excuses.

Evil Dragon

So you are saying that in the FA Cup Semi-Final Manure went out to play fairly ?
And didnt panic when Henry and Reyes came on ?

calvinngai88

ManU played like chickens, not attacking at all, and all their players were in their own half, something like what Greece played in their group matches, when 4 strikers were brought on by Wenger. :lol:

Andrew

I don't really care if we win or lost the CS anyway. OK, I'd prefer we win it. But it doesn't mean anything whether we win it or lost it. Every team that has won it has failed to win the league. I believe that records are made to broken but it just shows in the past it hasn't been a great indication of more important things to come. I would love to see us put a reserve team out as well.

calvinngai88

Since it's a "tradition" whereby the team who has won the charity shield has lost the league, shan't Arsenal break that so called "record" and make another history where the team who wins the charity shield this season will win the league too? How about that, pals? :D

calvinngai88

If I'm not wrong, ManU did win the Charity Shield before doing the treble in 1999. I'm not very sure about this. Really hope if anyone could prove me wrong :(

Soler

Established Member
I think since then nobody else has won it and the following league season. I'd have to look it up but I'm not in the mood.

wiltord11

calvinngai88 said:
If I'm not wrong, ManU did win the Charity Shield before doing the treble in 1999. I'm not very sure about this. Really hope if anyone could prove me wrong :(

arsenal one that charity shield that year

KingReyes

Established Member
I hope I'm right...

1996 CS Winners - Manure 97 EPL winners - Manure
1997 CS Winners- Manure - 98 EPL winners - Arsenal
1998 CS Winners- Arsenal - 99 EPL winners - Manure
1999 CS winners - Arsenal - 2000 EPL Winners - Manure
2000 CS Winners - Chelsea - 2001 EPL winners - Manure
2001 CS Winners - Liverpool - 2002 EPL winners - Arsenal
2002 CS Winners - Arsenal - 2003 EPL winners - Manure
2003 CS Winners- - Manure - 2004 EPL winners - Arsenal

So not until the 1996/97 season has the CS winners gone on to win the league.

johe

Yeah, but you can't really count the times when Chelsea and 'Pool won the CS though - It's not like they had a chance to win the League those years anyway. :wink:

johe

Heh, what's wrong with calling them Manure? Don't tell me you've never heard the expression before.. Alot of English fans on other clubs forums such as this call them that. Does that make them all 14 years old? In case you haven't noticed everyone hates them. :wink:

Arsenal Quotes

We played with a bit of a handbrake

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom