• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Sign Sol Campbell

go49oner

Established Member
Fabregas said:
“We are all very happy to have him back. He gives such a great atmosphere in the team. It’s good for him too because it didn’t work out well for him at his previous club, and he’s been out of football for a while.

“I am sure he will be a big help to us. He is exactly the same as when I first met him seven years ago – he hasn’t changed one bit!

“He really does give a great example in the dressing room, and especially for the younger players it’s good to have someone like that around.

“He’s been so successful in his career, and for them to be able to speak to him and get advice if it’s needed is really helpful.”
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/32890/Fabregas_Campbell_hasnt_changed_one_bit!_.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/32 ... bit!_.aspx</a>

Nela

Established Member
So, it seems most here are fairly positive about the inidcations from his first game?

P_Gunner

Based on his performance today, I actually think he might be able to rival Gallas a bit for that spot in the back 4. In the first half it looked like he was playing two positions at once, CB and RB.

Meatwad

pleasantly surprised.

i wish all our future 1st team signings could train with us for months before we make a decision.

dreamLord

Established Member
I loved the way he was absolutely climbing over the Stoke players on a couple of occasions. Might have been a foul, yes, but I haven't seen an Arsenal defender do that in quite some time.

flobaba

He was quite good wasn't he. Looked very strong. He's only lost a yard of pace, which he can balance out with his experience and positioning. However, our defensive high line style of play is always going to leave him exposed to strikers that run the channels. Glad he didn't try any of those Gallas/Toure-esque runs into the opposition territory in an attempt to assist the attack. That **** always makes me uncomfortable.

Very shrewd signing by wenger.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
it looks a very shrewd signing by Wenger, but lets keep in mind, its been exactly one game.. lets not get too excited.. early signs are positive with him, hope he can keep it up

James

Established Member
He still needs some game time for the reserves i think, but should he put in more performances like that for the rest of the season, i will happily eat my words.

Thing is, given the two competitions we're left with now, i still wouldn't be confident in him starting over Gallas or Vermaelen unless one was injured.

patrick42uk

Established Member
One or two moments where the ball was behind him and he looked really slow chasing back. His reactions are still good though and he's as strong as an ox.

qs

Established Member
James said:
Thing is, given the two competitions we're left with now, i still wouldn't be confident in him starting over Gallas or Vermaelen unless one was injured.

Against teams without a pacey striker I wouldn't mind him letting Gallas get a break now and then.

ricky1985

Established Member
One of the biggest gripes I've heard recently is "an injury to Gallas or Vermaelen and we're ****ed!". Without spending a penny Wenger has made that issue go away, we should all be pretty pleased.

Edit - Captain beat me to it!

asajoseph

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
One of the biggest gripes I've heard recently is "an injury to Gallas or Vermaelen and we're f*d!". Without spending a penny Wenger has made that issue go away, we should all be pretty pleased.

Edit - Captain beat me to it!

We'll see about that.

Sol had a promising (2nd) debut, from the sounds of it. He's got a lot more to do to make that sort of statement. Besides, knowing Sol, I'd be surprised if he was playing for free! ;)

James

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
One of the biggest gripes I've heard recently is "an injury to Gallas or Vermaelen and we're f*d!".
Hard to tell based on one performance, but i certainly wouldn't want to risk him up against Agbonlahor, Rooney, Drogba and ermmm...N'Gog?

Anyway yeah, he certainly looks like decent backup, which his role is about.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
I was more than impressed by his performance yesterday. He has lost a yard of pace but maybe he might recapture some of that with increasing fitness. Was dominant in the air apart from the two goals by Fuller. Overall, pleased to have him back and think it will be a great signing for us till the end of the season.

Don Pacifico

Established Member
James said:
ricky1985 said:
One of the biggest gripes I've heard recently is "an injury to Gallas or Vermaelen and we're f*d!".
Hard to tell based on one performance, but i certainly wouldn't want to risk him up against Agbonlahor, Rooney, Drogba and ermmm...N'Gog?

As a partnership, him and Silvestre isn't a great one as they both lack pace but I'd like to think that Sol would be a bit more secure against those you've mentioned when partnered with one of Gallas/Tom.

True Gooner

Established Member
You have to remember that yesterday was his (re-)debut and he probably gave everything he had into the game but a long term i.e. more than a couple of weeks injury would see either Sol or Silvestre playing week in, week out and that will take it's toll on either of them.

In a one off match he's as good as anyone we could have possibly signed in this window but over a run of games I wouldn't be half as confident. Still hope he can give our players that little bit of experience and maturity when it matters the most.

est

True Gooner said:
In a one off match he's as good as anyone we could have possibly signed in this window but over a run of games I wouldn't be half as confident. Still hope he can give our players that little bit of experience and maturity when it matters the most.

Agree. I liked what he said after the game, real winners words.

Sol Campbell said:
"We just have to dust ourselves off and realise how precious these cup competitions and the league points are" he said.

"They are special. The chance to win something doesn’t come around very often. Even if you have got a fantastic team, you have really got to earn the right to win things. There was a chance to win it – I suppose the rest of the lads are saying ‘we will see what happens next year’. But every time you go out there you have got to really go for it.

"I think the team as a whole needs to be up for it. It is a blow to be out of the FA Cup. It’s a great cup to win. It’s a shame we couldn’t go on a nice cup run but we will have to have a bit of a rethink.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/campbell-it-was-great-being-back-out-there" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... -out-there</a>

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
True Gooner said:
i dont see him as anything but a "Gallas/TV need a breather" kind of player.. (more to the point, Gallas needs a breather)

Arsenal Quotes

I think I lost my hair flicking the ball on for all them years at the near post from Brian Marwood's corners

Steve Bould
Top Bottom